Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22" Bassdrum conversion help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22" Bassdrum conversion help

I just purchased a 22" Bassdrum for my kit. Need help with some triggering methods.
    Should I use a mesh head or a smaller drum inside the drum?
    Has anyone use the 22" Hart heads?
    If I use a 22" mesh head, What is the best way to trigger it?

The bass drum I have now is an 18" with the cross bar like the rest of my drums. retrg cancel is set to 12 on it, cause of vibration.
    I'm sure with the 22" there is alot more vibration.

Just seeing if I should build this one a little different.

Thank you in advance for your ideas.
    Vinny
    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

I have a 22x18" bass drum using the 22" hart magnum head and it triggers great!

As far as the trigger you can use the crossbar method or just make a piezo platform out of a corner bracket and mount it to a couple of your lug bolts.

Just make sure that your beaters dont hit the trigger. I use the crossbar method in mine and I have it mounted about 4" above where the beaters make contact.

Good Luck!!!!!

Comment

Sarge thank you for the response. What did you use for a cone on your bass drum.
      Does Roland use something different for their triggering on their Bass drums than their toms? Do they use a bigger piece of foam for their cones?
      Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

My drum kit

Comment

I have the same setup. 22" bass drum with 2 toms mounted to it. I just used a corner brack et, piezo platform, and standard foam tape + piezo + cone. Drum triggered a lot better once I installed a kick impact pad and adjusted module settings properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
          I have the same setup. 22" bass drum with 2 toms mounted to it. I just used a corner brack et, piezo platform, and standard foam tape + piezo + cone. Drum triggered a lot better once I installed a kick impact pad and adjusted module settings properly.
          Are you using a mesh head? or triggering an acoustic head?

My drum kit

Comment

Sorry, my whole kit is an acoustic conversion using Hart mesh. So the bass is a 22" Hart mesh. You can see my kit in my DIY thread here: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41153

Comment

Originally posted by vjboc View Post
              Sarge thank you for the response. What did you use for a cone on your bass drum.
              Does Roland use something different for their triggering on their Bass drums than their toms? Do they use a bigger piece of foam for their cones?

I use a diy cone made from poron foam and using Boogies cone cutter design (thanks boogie). McMaster-Carr is where I get my foam from. Part number 86375K144.
              http://www.mcmaster.com/
              You don't have to use a cone on the kick. I have used a square piece of grey sanding block foam, grey packaging foam and poron. IMO the poron works the best but they all triggered perfect.

Can't help with the rollie question as all my drums are acoustic A to E's.

Comment

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
                Sorry, my whole kit is an acoustic conversion using Hart mesh. So the bass is a 22" Hart mesh. You can see my kit in my DIY thread here: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41153
                That is nice work you did on the drums. Alot of detail.
                Is the Hart head is still in good shape on the bassdrum?
                Does the Hart head have as tight of a weave as a roland head?

My drum kit

Comment

I'm not the expert on the differences in the heads. But the Roland heads appear to be more of a soft woven thread. The Harts are hard nylon thread or something. Like on a cheap tennis racket. I don't own Roland heads so this is based on the 10 minutes I spent feeling up the Roland heads on the display kits at Sam Ash a couple weeks ago. They just felt softer and a little more giving even though they were seemingly tightened a lot. The Pearl MFH Muffle heads seem to be a more organic and less plasticy thread as well. But feel very thin and fragile compared to both. The Pearls generally get panned for their longevity. But they're cheap as anything. I can't recall if they offer a 16" and 22" though.

In the end I went with the Hart heads as they offered them in all the sizes I needed. $159 shipped from Music123 for 5 heads. If Roland had a 14" for my snare I'd probably have splurged on that one head.

My snare head and both toms need replacement. More than likely due to my fault than the heads fault as the damage is located directly above screws on my crossbars as best I can tell. At least for the snare, anyway. My high tom now has a hole started. Tom2 has a single broken thread in the weave which can be felt by running your hand over it. It's only a matter of time before it breaks down more. Only my floor tom and bass are in like-new condition still. The kick has an impact pad on it so nothing really touches it.

Comment

As for the heads, there's not allot to choose from. I went with the Harts and they've lasted over a year now with no sign of wear. As for the bass drum, there's lots of ways to attach a trigger to it. The problem I found is the bounce and the ambient noise from the beater.
                    I used a dual crossbar method with an 8" metal plate and 2" rigid foam. Theere was still allot of noise so I filled the entire drum with foam peanuts. Now its far quieter than it was. I used a 27mm piezo placed behind the metal plate located off center and it triggers perfect. I'll add a pic to this post to show you how I did my bass.
                    RK
                    Attached Files

Comment

I found increasing the trigger IO threshold, crosstalk (needed to separate the attached toms), as well as installing a thick Gibraltar impact pad was the trick to reducing the "ambient" noise. At least I think it did.

The real test would be to run it through a recorder and inspect the piano scroll to see if I'm truly getting solid single triggers or not. But the extra noise was clearly audible via headphones before and now it's not.

Comment

Roadking that is a nice job you did on that bass drum. Where did you get the plate and foam at?

My drum kit

Comment

The plate is a pc of 1/8" aluminum that I got at a surplus store and the foam came as packing in something I ordered. This unit works great and is allot quieter than it was without the peanuts. I also use a pad on the drum head as I use felt beaters. I'll inclose another pic of it all set up.
                          RK
                          Attached Files

Comment

At least now you have SOME use for all those stupid, stupid peanuts.

Comment

I just did a 22" bass recently, and it triggers great (looks kinda rough right now - I have the new wrap for it, it's just a matter of getting the time to disassemble, clean, and put it on).

Head - home made from the "Sun Guard 90" window screen from Lowe's (addressed in other threads) It works great so far. I have Hart Magnums and UFO's on my other drums, but I think for a bass this stuff will last a really long time. I made mine double-ply, and that is a Remo Falam Slam beater pad you see in the picture.

Foam - Poron Supersoft. As mentioned, you really don't need a cone for a bass drum. Although all my other drums use 1 3/8" high foam to mimic Roland, on this bass I merely used 1" (two 1/2" pieces).

Crossbar - leftover from another project. Because it was already this length, that determined how many lugs it would span across. I agree with others that the important point is to not place your piezo directly under where the beater will strike.

Brackets - Roof truss clips. The slot in the clip allows me to quickly and easily adjust foam height.

The mounting plate for the 1/4" jack is temporary, and made from leftover parts. I used this to utilize the existing holes from the old tom-mount. After I put on the new wrap, I plan to use a top-mounted chrome plate for the jack.
                              Attached Files
                              Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

Working...
                              X