Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-12 + DIY experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TD-12 + DIY experience

    If I wire two piezos from two toms into one stereo jack, and plug it into the TD-12 I want to buy, would I be able to use one of the toms as the "rim shot" trigger, but give it a tom hit, doubling the number of toms I can use through the module?

    Sorry for the run on sentence lol

    Would this work, do you think?

  • #2
    You can do that but you'll need a splitter cable with a 100K resistor between the ring and the tip. I have two cymbals set up on an Aux input using this method.

    If you do a search on splitter cables, you'll find a lot of information on this already posted

    Comment


    • #3
      Ok, so that thread answered that question, but it brought up another: if I'm making a dual zone pad, I.e. a snare, do I still need the 100k capacitor for the rim piezo?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Plutonic View Post
        Ok, so that thread answered that question, but it brought up another: if I'm making a dual zone pad, I.e. a snare, do I still need the 100k capacitor for the rim piezo?
        Dual piezo pads DO NOT need a resistor if used in snare, tom or aux. inputs.
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Ok, just to set myself straight- if I'm using a snare\tom\aux port on the module, the resistor is NOT necessary, but on a cymbal port, it is.

          Is that right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Plutonic View Post
            Ok, just to set myself straight- if I'm using a snare\tom\aux port on the module, the resistor is NOT necessary, but on a cymbal port, it is.

            Is that right?
            You are really getting this confusing. Your first question was about splitting up toms so you could get 2 toms on one input, right?

            For that you just need to make the special splitter as SuperPuss referred to. There is a sticky thread in the DIY forum with instructions for building that.

            You then asked "if I'm making a dual zone pad, I.e. a snare, do I still need the 100k capacitor for the rim piezo?"

            No resistor, or capacitor is needed. The snare, toms, and aux inputs are already set up for dual piezo pads.


            As far as the cymbal inputs, they are not splittable. They are Piezo/Switch inputs.... To clarify, only the snare, toms and aux. inputs are dual piezo inputs. You can use any type dual zone pad with those. And those inputs can be split with the special splitter. All other inputs are non-splittable Piezo/Switch type inputs.

            the sticky thread mentions that.
            Last edited by JmanWord; 06-20-08, 07:06 PM.
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok, I'm not confused anymore. Thanks!

              Sorry about that

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Plutonic View Post
                Ok, I'm not confused anymore. Thanks!

                Sorry about that
                Hey, looks like you will be having lots of inputs now.... I saw you pre-ordered the TDW-20 Expansion board...
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  100kohm resistor

                  Im not sure I'm following the need for the resistor for splitting the inputs. Can you not buy the 1/4" male stereo to double 1/4" female mono adapter for putting to mono cables into a stereo input? Will that work, or what does it do to your sound? Im looking to split an aux into a splash and china, and another aux for a left sided tom and extra snare. Does the hosa adapter have the resistor in em? I looked through the sticky to find this answer but didn't see it? Sorry if this repeats a thread from 2004 or something. V

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Are you able to split the bass drum input on the TD-12 for double bass drums?
                    www.ShadowDemon.us

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Vader View Post
                      Im not sure I'm following the need for the resistor for splitting the inputs. Can you not buy the 1/4" male stereo to double 1/4" female mono adapter for putting to mono cables into a stereo input? Will that work, or what does it do to your sound? Im looking to split an aux into a splash and china, and another aux for a left sided tom and extra snare. Does the hosa adapter have the resistor in em? I looked through the sticky to find this answer but didn't see it? Sorry if this repeats a thread from 2004 or something. V
                      None of the inputs on the TD-12 or TD-20 are splittable inputs via a standard retail splitter.

                      The tom, aux. and snare inputs are splittable via the special DIY splitter in this Sticky thread:
                      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27881
                      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Demon Drummer View Post
                        Are you able to split the bass drum input on the TD-12 for double bass drums?
                        If you want 2 bass drums with the same sound .... YES. just a simple stereo headphone type splitter will do that.
                        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X