Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New DIY-er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DIY-er

Hi, guys!

Been lurking around for a few days, and have decided to build my own e-drumkit, after falling for the TD-20 kit I played a few months back. I've had all my questions answered on past posts(at least, I think they all were) but I DO have one question:

Do the foam cones on top of the transducers actually make contact with the mesh head? I can't seem to figure it out from the forums here, and I have no access to a mesh kit to see for myself...

Anyway, thanks so much for the inspiration! You guys are AWESOME!!

Yes, they do. The tips of the cones need to come just barely above the bearing edge of the drums so when the mesh head is seated on the drum and tightened down...there is decent contact. Not so much that it smashes it way down, though. I believe about 1/8" or so is what's recommended.

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

Thanks!

I'll definitely post pics and chronicle my build once I'm set. Can't wait to start!

Comment

Originally posted by Plutonic View Post
        Thanks!

I'll definitely post pics and chronicle my build once I'm set. Can't wait to start!

Good Luck!!! It's nice to have another diy junkie join the ranks. One word of caution. Once you start diy'ing it's impossible to stop

Bakerboy is right as far as the head contact goes. I start at 1/8" measured using a straight edge and then adjust up or down as needed. I find on my 14" drums or larger toms I like the cone at about 1/16". this seems to give me better response on the larger drums.
        Last edited by sarge201; 06-20-08, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X