Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum sizes and trigger length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum sizes and trigger length

So, I don't actually have my drums yet, but I'm trying to prepare my triggers.

I know the diameter of the drums I'll be getting, and I'm trying to compute how long I should get the strut for the cross-member cut. Is the "size" of a drum the inner diameter, or the outer diameter?

My initial thought was to have the struts cut one inch shorter than the size of each drum. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

I wouldn't cut them till you get the drums and install the corner brackets. If you're doing a Beatnik type crossbar you'll need the bar to be short enough to clear the lug screws but also be long enough to accept screw holes for the bar mounting screws. My crossbars are anywhere from 1.5 to 2" shorter than the drum size, which is meaured against the outer diameter. I have cheap-O Groove Percussion drums so I'd think that some high quality drum would hae a thicker shell and maybe require even shorter cross bars.

Comment

Originally posted by InAVat View Post
      So, I don't actually have my drums yet, but I'm trying to prepare my triggers.

I know the diameter of the drums I'll be getting, and I'm trying to compute how long I should get the strut for the cross-member cut. Is the "size" of a drum the inner diameter, or the outer diameter?

My initial thought was to have the struts cut one inch shorter than the size of each drum. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!
      "Size" is neither the inside or outside diameter generally speaking. For instance, I just measured a Ludwig tom (13") that I currently have the head off of and it measures 12 3/16" ID and 12 7/8" OD. Of course, your mileage may vary so it's best to measure each drum as you convert it.

Comment

Gotcha. Now as far as cutting the cross-member (whether you use a strut channel or something else)... what do you all use to do the cutting? Would a dremel work? The strut channel available at Grainger is galvanized steel.

Comment

I've used a hacksaw on all of mine. Then, use a file to dress the edges so you don't cut yourself later. A dremel might work, but it will be much more difficult to get a straight, even cut, and I'd think you'd go through a few cut-off wheels, blades, or whatever cutting device you choose (also be careful for kickback). But really, if you don't already have one, go down to Lowes/HD and buy a hacksaw for $8-10!!
          Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

I used a metal chop saw that we have in our shop. I cut the 10's at 9" and the 12's at 11" and it gave me ample clearance for the curvature of the drum (I used 2-1/2" wide channel) and the bracket/lug screw heads.

Gastric gives good advice - 'measure twice, cut once'
            Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
            X