Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh kick - plus cowbells

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesh kick - plus cowbells

    I picked up a used Gibraltar practice kick pad and after some thought, liberated the base plate to use with a 13" DIY drum - and now I have a new kick.
    What I used:
    13" tom, cut in half
    DIY mesh head - fine irrigation pipe with two layers of insect mesh
    Crossbar with 27mm piezo and a circular foam column, about the height of a Roland cone - mounted off-centre
    Two bass drum spurs
    A bit of curtain rod mounted on the Gib base plate through the original tom block
    and it all seems to work...

    Also thought I'd show off the latest e-cowbells. One is a pastic LP tone block, wrapped in gaffer tape to deaden the stick noise, the squarish one is a moist-towel container, also decked in gaffer tape. I'm now on my fourth generation. Tried paint-roller, sapling punnet and various canisters. The tone block is great because it comes with a mount, but it's very hard to work out where to drill for the jack - so mine has some extra ventilation!!! The next one will be perfect!!!
    Attached Files
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

  • #2
    Nice work Allan. The kick is almost the same as the 13" one I built. I fabricated my own base out of flat bar, as I am a welder, and bent some round bar for legs using floor tom mounts to attach them. Are you going to put a patch on the head? I started to wear through mine pretty quickly so I sewed a piece of felt type material to it...
    My Kit
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for that. I'd love to see your handiwork - especially the base and the patch. I've seen some comments about the mesh wearing - and I should probably do something about it!
      I wish I had some metalwork skills as my mounting solution was not ideal - but I made the most of what I had at hand.
      I'm probably going to put the other head on - once I've found a cheap substitute for lugs - probably some small L brackets.
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice work AJ.

        I think my kit is in need of a decent sized kick too. The KD8 looks a little small now that the rest has somewhat expanded.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's a few pics of my kick, very similar to yours. It started life as a 13" pearl export tom. The mesh head came from ufo drums in the US (safe to buy from) along with a few Roland style cones. I used a 27mm piezo and mounted it off center to the top, you can sort of see it, and its stuck to a piece of broom handle which I cut as a spacer to give the right height off the cross member. You can see how I made the base its bolted straight through the shell and tilts the drum back so the beaters hit the head at a comfortable angle. The patch was cut from a sheet of thick cotton packing material. I tried sticking it on but it made a flappy sound so I sewed it to the head and its very quiet. I've been looking for some white wrap to cover it to match the rest of the kit...
          Attached Files
          My Kit
          http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

          Comment

          Working...
          X