Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone converted a Gibraltar pactice kick pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone converted a Gibraltar pactice kick pad?

I was in a second-hand shop when a Gibraltar practice kick pad caught my eye. Initially, I thought the base might be good to mount a 13" mesh shell I made a while ago, but it looks like I could probably just convert the pad.
    I'll have to make a mesh head because the playing surface is about 7" - but that's no drama. However, what should I use to fill it?
    I've seen some posts about converting Remo pads, using foam and a tin lid, but clearly I'd have to mount the piezo set off from centre, otherwise it would get bashed to pieces.
    Anyone done this or seen a step-by-step guide?
    Watch this space...
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
    I was in a second-hand shop when a Gibraltar practice kick pad caught my eye. Initially, I thought the base might be good to mount a 13" mesh shell I made a while ago, but it looks like I could probably just convert the pad.
    I'll have to make a mesh head because the playing surface is about 7" - but that's no drama. However, what should I use to fill it?
    I've seen some posts about converting Remo pads, using foam and a tin lid, but clearly I'd have to mount the piezo set off from centre, otherwise it would get bashed to pieces.
    Anyone done this or seen a step-by-step guide?
    Watch this space...
    I have converted one before. It has been awhile, but it is not that hard. Are you looking at this kick pad?

Inside the pad is a large piece of foam. I slit the foam just large enough to get a 27mm piezo just off center of the pad. Make another small slit out the back of the foam to feed the piezo wires to your connector of choice. I then squirted some white craft glue in the slits. It make a hard sensor plate for the piezo and seals up the slits. I waited 48 hours for the glue to dry and you are done. Try out the kick pad before you do this. Some people don't like the way this kick pad feels. Good Luck!
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Allan,
      Yeah, pretty much what Hellfire said is right. I made one too and it was really easy. You can just do what you would do for a Remo practice pad but like he said, you might want to put the piezo off center a bit to prevent it from breaking. In mine, I used a thin sheet of aluminum as a backing plate for the piezo and sandwiched it beteen foam.

One word of warning before you go getting one of these with the intention of using a mesh head on it. I found that it is not really suitable for using a mesh head because the tensioning rim is way too flimsy. It really doesn't provide much tension at all in fact and the screws actually go through the rubber as well. I'm not really sure if it is possible to put a mesh head (even a diy job) on this pad but it would be cool to see if you come up with a way.

Unfortunately, I had my pad pulled apart last week to fix a broken solder joint. I didn't take any pictures though otherwise I would have posted them up here.

Dan

Comment

Working...
      X