Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PVC Drum Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Drum Wrap

Has anyone seen this stuff?

Dark Matter Self Adhesive PVC Drum Wrap

Here's a picture of it on some drums:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rty/drums2.jpg

It looks alright. It would be nice if there was a way to put a high-gloss finish over it... anyone have any ideas about that?

The selection of drum wraps for sale on the internet is surprisingly small. There are a couple of sites selling them, and they seem only to sell glitters/marbles/satins/pearls/etc. What I'm really looking for is more complex designs (I'd LOVE something that resembled the Pearl Black Burst), so this particular one caught my eye (on ebay).

How do you guys think this one person on ebay procured this one pattern of PVC wrap?

And, BTW, I understand that the main problem with providing a pattern like the Pearl ELX Black Burst is that you'd have to have the pattern printed differently for each drum length. Still, I'd pay extra for that.

Maybe I should rent an airbrush and buy some lacquer and do it myself. Anyone have any experience with that?

Comment

Okay, I did my own research and answered some of my own questions.

The place to find complex drum wraps is rockenwraps. Their webpage is horrible, but they have an awesome selection. They even have a wrap that looks a lot like the Pearl ELX "Black Burst" that I was talking about.

The only problem with rockenwraps is that they are REALLY expensive. So I've been looking around at vinyl/PVC wallpaper. I thought I'd share this find:

Silver High Gloss Metallic Mylar Contact Paper

At 49.5 feet long for $75, you can wrap all your drums cheaply. And at 18" wide, it's a very convenient size for wrapping an acoustic set.

Comment

Good find on the Mylar Paper. 18" wide is enough to do even most uncut bass and floor toms. I didn't do the math but I'd think 50ft is enough to cover at least a 5 piece kit. Now keep looking for some more products with designs for us.

Comment

Good find. For those into a more natural look, try this:
          http://www.designyourwall.com/store/...8-pr-2159.html
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

There are a lot of interesting wallpapers here, including metallics (some high gloss), natural woods, reptile skins, and modern patterns.

I think these in particular would make very interesting and unique wraps:
            Attached Files

Comment

The likely problem with wall paper is it's thin and not very durable. I'd think you'd want something thick to hide imperfections in the shell and your installation. And something very durable to be able to take a beating from hardware hitting it during drum installation/transportation/whatever.

I'd also think you could just remove your current wrap, assuming that's doable, and stain and seal it.

Comment

Old thread I know but have you guys seen this?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sparkledrumwr...&_trksid=p4340

Comment

You can get the sparkle brite from ****blick art supplies and buy it by the yard.

That contact paper in the natural woods look sweet. But I think it's too thin, same with the sparkle brite. I'd love it if they made a real drum wrap in something like this...

That burlwood with natural maple hoops.....would be sweet. On a acoustic setup.

Steve

Comment

Just seen they have a wood veneer that can be put on shells like a wrap at drumfoundry. Somethin' I will keep in mind since they have somethin' like the burlwood I posted.

Steve

Comment

One note, from personal experience, about thinner wraps of any sort is they will have a tendency to wrinkle around the lugs when you tighten up the heads, messing up your awesome wrap job.

Comment

Originally posted by mbejackson View Post
                        One note, from personal experience, about thinner wraps of any sort is they will have a tendency to wrinkle around the lugs when you tighten up the heads, messing up your awesome wrap job.
                        Yes, I ran into that problem with the sparkle brite. I also heard if you leave your drums out in the heat, that the wrap will wrinkle all over. Read this about someone who gigged with their drums and when they was unloading their equipment before a show, all of his drums were wrinkled (the wrap) because of the heat in the trailer.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by mbejackson View Post
                          Yep thats the bad thing about vinyl. The full adhesive backing will do that almost every time. I did find a work around though. Leave the paper backing on it except at the seam. Then only stick it on top of itself, like a floating wrap. Or don't use the adhesive at all, leave the backing on completely and make sure the seam is under a set of lugs. I tried sticking the vinyl to the old wrap, but it is almost impossible to get out all the bubbles. Even with a good squeegee.
                          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

The problem I have always ran into with the sparkle brite was I tried wrappin my shell with the backing on but there was bubbles in the wrap that I couldn't get out without peeling the backing off.

If you can leave the backing on though, go to Lowes and pickup the double sided adhesive tape that is used for kitchen backsplashes. It's a very thin tape that worked great on my satin flame wrap. Just put it on the sparkle brite backing and wrap.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X