Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Largest Conversion Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest Conversion Size?

I've gotten a couple of varying opinions, so I'm looking for more feedback on what the largest size tom can be converted without significant triggering issues. Anone had success with 16"? 18"? Thanks folks...

Kris

not much luck with a 16". i tried the crossbar and it triggered like [email protected]!

Comment

My view about this:
      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...6&postcount=14
      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Take heed and listen to the Jman Kris. He's the V Monster king

Comment

I have done 14" snares and 16" floor toms with the crossbar design and they trigger awesome. I currently have a 14" snare and a 14" floor tom and they trigger just as well as my 8" rack tom. Your design, trigger and head type and tension will play a large part in this.

Comment

forgot to mention. in my conversion i used real drum heads. if your using mesh heads the tone of the drum doesnt matter and would allow you to tension the head much higher. my conversion was done to an acoustic kit using real heads. i use triggers more or less instead of microphones in my current play out kits . the cross bar method and clip on triggers on a low tuned floor or rack tom of 16" or more will give you problems. a 14" snare drum is gonna have a high tension and will work fine. i have done a bunch of 14" snare conversions with real heads and never had problems. its just rocket science so give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by foofoo View Post
              forgot to mention. in my conversion i used real drum heads. if your using mesh heads the tone of the drum doesnt matter and would allow you to tension the head much higher. my conversion was done to an acoustic kit using real heads. i use triggers more or less instead of microphones in my current play out kits . the cross bar method and clip on triggers on a low tuned floor or rack tom of 16" or more will give you problems. a 14" snare drum is gonna have a high tension and will work fine. i have done a bunch of 14" snare conversions with real heads and never had problems. its just rocket science so give it a try.
              Big difference between mesh and mylar. So that explains it.....
              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

I have done 14" snares, upt to 18" toms and up to 24" bass drums without problems. Using good non-stretchy, non-springy heads gets critical about 13" diameters. One ply, two ply, three ply doesn't make a difference, strength and resistance to deflection (and resistance to stretching) are key.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jude View Post
                  I have done 14" snares, upt to 18" toms and up to 24" bass drums without problems. Using good non-stretchy, non-springy heads gets critical about 13" diameters. One ply, two ply, three ply doesn't make a difference, strength and resistance to deflection (and resistance to stretching) are key.
                  Absolutely agree.... a good example is the Pearl Muffle head. I could see where someone would get discouraged with larger drum conversions if this were the only head they had tried. A crappy mesh head will also reak havoc with Positional Detection... erratic response.

Comment

That's the answer I want to hear Jman. I really want to keep my 16 " and 18" Rotos on my kit, so I'll take a shot at doing the conversion. I'll keep everyone up to date on my progress. Fingers crossed, and thanks all for the help.

Kris

Comment

Do I detect the beginnings of another monster DIY e conversion Kris?
                      You have most definitely contracted GAS.... no doubt about that!!
                      BTW - I think your A kit would make a great E conversion with your plans on getting a TD12 module.

Comment

Well I put together a couple of 2-ply mesh heads this weekend using pet mesh and 1/4" copper tubing. They seem pretty solid, not overly springy, so I'll continue this for all of the Rotos.

Now, I notice that all of the Roto conversions are done with a center cone only. Would some sort of cross-bar design make the larger toms more stable? If so I'm not sure I can see a way of doing that on a Roto frame.

Kris

Comment

No need for crossbars on roto's, Kris. They are practically made for e conversion

HERE'S the details of my Roto conversion and my new DIY mesh head construction.

Comment

Working...
                          X