Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware for rack-mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware for rack-mounting

So I've never mounted drums on a rack.

I'm planning an A-to-E conversion, and am currently looking for the right set of drums. I noticed you can get off with paying much less when you buy just the shell pack, and that seems to make sense for me, since I'm going to want to mount the drums on a rack, but I'm not sure what kind of hardware I'm going to have to purchase to connect the drums to the rack.

If I buy a plain shell pack, like this:

what hardware will I need to connect the drums to a rack like this:

??

If instead I buy a full set, with the arms that connect the toms to the bass drum, what hardware will I need to buy to adapt that to the rack?

Additionally, is it possible to adapt a regular on-the-floor floor-tom to mount on a rack, or should I be looking for a set that comes with a floating floor tom?

And finally, cymbals. For a rack like that, do you typically buy an arm that connects to the rack to hold the cymbals, meaning I shouldn't take the quality of cymbal stands into account when I'm shopping?

Thanks for setting a newbie straight!
    Last edited by InAVat; 06-04-08, 01:39 PM.

Your tom mount post from the bass drum can mount to one of the clamps included with the V rack you show. If you want everything mounted to the rack you should look for a rack mount tom. But a floor tom can easily sit on the floor inside the drum rack.... your preference. There are plenty of brands of cymbal boom arms that you can use to rack mount your cymbals. The boom arms can be mounted in the posts of the V rack also.

I attached a pic of my current kit with V rack. That might give you an idea of rack mount options.
    Attached Files
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks a lot for the reply, Jman. Your setup looks awesome, by the way, obviously

What size is your largest tom (at least of those visible in the pics)?

Is there a difference between a "floating floor tom" and just a larger tom? It's quite hard to find drumsets on craigslist or ebay that don't include floor toms. I understand that I could buy the toms one-by-one, but that makes it quite a bit more expensive.

Also, what method did you use for your bass drum trigger and head? What size is it? I've read that larger drums have less consistent triggering, so I've considering having some kind of non-drum pad for the bass pedal to strike, but there's just no beating the look of at least one bass drum, in my opinion.

Comment

My largest tom is a 16" floor tom. Largest mounted tom is 14". You can get as many opinions on these conversions as there are posters and results will vary. Personally I have always been quite happy with my 22" mesh head kick. I use my own simple kick trigger system I knicknamed KISS ....
        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...Kick+drum+KISS

Many drum kits are available in 2 configurations.... Standard and Fusion... and most Fusion kits have smaller tom sizes with all hanging toms.... more what you seem to be looking for ... ideal for rack mount....
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
        X