Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum conversion possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum conversion possibility

So I'm looking into buying a drumset to convert. I've been looking at craigslist, and found these.

$210
    "Sound Percussion drum set, including bass drum, 5 toms, 4 Zildjian cymbals, a high-hate, a quartz metronome ($80 value), snare drum carrying case, and stool."

What do you guys think? I am on a very tight budget, so the prospect of getting a bunch of cymbals and drums to convert, all in one package for $210, sounds great.

I've responded to the poster about the quality of the drums, whether they're scratched, etc, since you can't really tell from the picture. Other than that, my only concern might be that I'd get crappy hardware? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Thats a great kit for a conversion and a great price. Good Luck
    www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

Agreed! As long as the hardware is decent, it looks like a go! It looks like the drums are two different colors. You could convert them and start to enjoy them, then later possibly think about re-wrapping or refinishing them, when you have more money.
      Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

If I was wanting to start a new DIY project I would probably go for it. That is a very good price for a complete kit. Most of my drum components have been purchased off Ebay and it has saved me so much money. Polish up those cymbals and shine up those drums and you will have yourself a good looking drum set.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I'm going to go for them.

My last question. I'm virtually new to drumming and am not sure what to look for regarding the quality of the hardware. Can you guys give me any pointers?

Comment

Just remember DIY ing is about enjoying yourself and doing it yourself not just about how much money you save. Penny pinching brings bad drum karma.
            www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

Just remember DIY ing is about enjoying yourself and doing it yourself not just about how much money you save. Penny pinching brings bad drum karma.
              Well, that's easier for some to say than others. I agree that DIY is not necessarily equivalent to "cheap", but for some of us it's either cheap or nothing. I don't have a lot of expendable income, and I'm in charge of putting food in more mouths than just mine, so I can't splurge like I'd like to.

One great thing about DIY is, in my opinion, that it allows the possibility of going a "cheap" route. It's also important to note that "cheap" doesn't necessarily mean "bad". I'm building a Megadrum, for instance, and if all goes well I'll have saved a lot of money by going that route, but I think my Megadrum will blow the alternative (the Alesis Trigger IO) out of the water.

Anyway, I know what you're saying Knipe. I am doing my best to plan this project such that I maintain a decent level of quality and workmanship. And I'm also trying to find ways to insert my own personality into the project.

ANYWAY... What should I look for when assessing the quality of this (or any) kit's hardware?

Comment

If you plan to use a crossbar...the easiest IMO...you need an even number of lugs.
                chris :D

Comment

Hi,

The price certainly looks good from here.....

Check the hardware thoroughly for cracks and loose bits.

- a few rattles can be fixed with some tape and plastic tubing
                  - stripped threads in the drum lugs and tom mounts can mean replacement bits that may not match
                  - rust or corrosion on the rims may make tensioning uneven
                  - weak or substandard kick pedal and hihat stand can cost you $s for a replacement
                  - blemishes in the chrome on the stands and rims will affect the cosmetic appeal
                  - blemishes in the drum shells can be covered up with new shell covering at a cost...

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
                    If you plan to use a crossbar...you need an even number of lugs.
                    Not necessarily, if you don't mind drilling new holes into the shell. At this price point, I don't think you will be all that concerned, as many here on the forum are (who have converted beautiful and expensive kits), with retaining the ability to change them back to acoustics with no signs of alteration.

As to the hardware questions:
                    1. If tension rods are bent or stripped, both the rod and the lug insert (the part of the lug that you screw the rod into) can be replaced relatively inexpensively, assuming you would only need to replace a handful, not all of them.
                    2. Mounting hardware: As mentioned previously, you don't want these stripped out, unless you are quite handy and have access to a tap-and-die set.
                    3. Chrome pitting, or even light rust: If it is light, it's a cosmetic issue, and can often be removed/polished out if you're willing to expend the elbow grease to do so.

If you should decide to re-wrap, there are many sources available. I have been pleased with jamminsam.com. He also sells a lot of the aforementioned hardware items at reasonable prices as well.
                    Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

Working...
                    X