Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Fiber DIY Rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber DIY Rack?

I just ran across this site and was wondering if carbon fiber tubing would work well for a sturdy, lightweight DIY rack. Thoughts?

http://www.composite-resources.com/o...s/default.html

Kris

Originally posted by Kris NH View Post
    I just ran across this site and was wondering if carbon fiber tubing would work well for a sturdy, lightweight DIY rack. Thoughts?

http://www.composite-resources.com/o...s/default.html

Kris
    It might, but it would be very expensive!
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Well, carbonlite market a set of rack tubes made from carnbon fibre as well as replacement cymbal boom arms, so I'd guess at it being ok. However, at this point their website isnt working for me. This on HC. This from google.

Comment

I can't see those being practicle..

-I'm sure they are super durable and strong...but $$$$$

E
        - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Well, it depends on whether you want to spend now and save your back, or save now and have surgery! -jk

I think it would be worth it if you gigged that often, but again its a personal choice.

Comment

The tubes on your rack aren't that heavy, it's all the clamps and other bits that really give weight. Going to CF would probably only save you a few pounds total. Also, when you clamp on them, it wouldn't be too hard to shatter the resin in tubes like those. They are strong linearly in both tension and compression, and strong in bending. That weave doesn't appear to be designed to take clamping forces a typical clamp could impose.

It'd look cool though.

Comment

Fair point ettsn, but I don't think they would sell them if the tubes weren't up to the job.

Comment

If you read the specs on the carbon fibre tube website you will see that this cf product is actually tubing and is designed to withstand internal pressure i.e. to be used to transport fluids under pressure.

You would therefore be paying for a "feature" that you really don't need - all you need is tensile strength to support your kit equipment.

If you want lightweight, aluminium is considerbly cheaper and easy to work with hand tools.....

If you want strength at low cost you can't beat steel.

Another option is high tensile steel which offers lower weight, higher strength and greater resistance to rust then regular steel (at a price...)

Bear in mind also that you can bend steel in a pipe bending jig. Aluminium can be bent but is more brittle.... and cf (to my understanding) cannot be bent as it is a fixed expoxy product.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
                  Fair point ettsn, but I don't think they would sell them if the tubes weren't up to the job.

It looks like you may have misunderstood me. These tubes are not designed to be drum rack tubes. They're completely up to the job for which they are designed. CF is only strong in directions that the weave is set for. Judging by the look of the weave and the specs, I'm not super confident in it's ability to withstand the clamping forces you could generate with the drum clamps. If undamaged, it would certainly be more than strong enough to span across your drumset and hold up drums. That weave would be quite strong in deflection or tension, just not necessarily in compression across it's radius. CF is not a magic super material that works well for everything. So long as you were careful with the clamps, it could work in a drum rack. You might save a whole kilo (a couple pounds) on your whole setup and spend several hundred dollars (or pounds sterling) to do so. Go for it.

Comment

Ah I see. I wasn't planning this myself, I was just posting those in answer to the OP's question whether carbon fibre would work as an example of it already being done.

Comment

Well if nothing else I certainly stirred up some interesting discussion!

Kris

Comment

LOL Kris.

The carbon fibre rack would go well with my Kit Toys cymbals..... hmmm.....

Comment

Working...
                        X