Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can steel shells be used for DIY snares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can steel shells be used for DIY snares?

I have read a lot of times that steel shell snares are not suitable for making DIY pads, but I haven't been able to find WHY.

A guy is selling me an old steel 14'' snare for 30 euros, but I am not sure to buy it.

Why isn't recommended to use steel shells?

I *know* it's been done, but I've found the same impression, that metal is somehow unsuitable. The only assumption I can make is that there is either too much vibration, or too much noise. Other than that I can't see why it wouldn't work.
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

I built a snare pad using an inexpensive 13" PDP piccolo snare with a Hart Magnum head and the Beatnik-style trigger bar. It works VERY well. Maybe I just got lucky...
      Ron

E-Drums: Roland TD6V - A2E DIY Kit 22x8 kick, 4 x 10inch toms with Roland cones and mesh heads using Beatnik-style brackets

A-Drums: DW Collectors Series - Red to Blue Tribal Flame Lacquer - Ludwig Black Magic 13x7 snare - Gibraltar Stealth Rack - DW 9000 series stands and pedals

Various e-cymbals as Zildjian/Sabian a-cymbals

Comment

I did the steel snare thing. The only tricky part is drilling the breather hole larger if you are using panel jacks, you will need a drill with some power. It probably rings a little bit louder than a wood shell wood, but if you are using DIY cymbals made of metal then you wouldn't even notice. I bet you could get one for less than 30 euros though.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
          I did the steel snare thing. The only tricky part is drilling the breather hole larger if you are using panel jacks, you will need a drill with some power..
          But you don't need thick panel jacks for a steel snare. Standard jacks fit fine through the vent holes of most metal snares and are deep enough since the metal is thinner than wood shells. Personally I prefer wood drums for conversion, but metal can be done.. I currently have a pair of Meinl mini timbales, dual zone pads, and they respond excellent.
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
          X