Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Anyone ever tried making acrylic cymbals?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BeyondStupidity
    Registered Member
    • 01-2008

Anyone ever tried making acrylic cymbals?

For a while i've been working with some Pintech practice cymbals and just about a week ago got them all together but i'm really disappointed with the cymbals. When i got them most of them were warped pretty bad and had the wholes drilled in the wrong spots. I saw a few acrylic cymbal pics and they looked pretty cool. Has anyone here tried them and able to give me some advice?

anyone know any cheap acrylic sheets are?
    what the best thickness is?
    best method of cutting and shaping them?
  • evil1rox
    Registered Member
    • 05-2006

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think that's what the Pintech Visualite cymbals are made from....???

E
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

• BeyondStupidity
      Registered Member
      • 01-2008

yeah, it is

Comment

• John F
        Registered Member
        • 05-2008

Originally posted by BeyondStupidity
        For a while i've been working with some Pintech practice cymbals and just about a week ago got them all together but i'm really disappointed with the cymbals. When i got them most of them were warped pretty bad and had the wholes drilled in the wrong spots. I saw a few acrylic cymbal pics and they looked pretty cool. Has anyone here tried them and able to give me some advice?

anyone know any cheap acrylic sheets are?
        what the best thickness is?
        best method of cutting and shaping them?
        Haven't tried acrylic sheets, but I agree with you 100% on the Pintech cymbals. That's what I'm using and I am completely astounded at the poor quality of Pintech plastic practice cymbals in sizes over 14". I have four 14" and one 10" cymbal and they are OK. But the 16" cymbal looked like a Pringle's potato chip when I received it. It was over 1 1/2" "out of flat" if you know what I mean. Completely unseable. And the 18" was a bit warped too. Not to where it was not useable, but for the price it ought to be perfect. I'd say Pintech has pretty poor quality control. I most likely won't be buying anything else from them.

Comment

• evil1rox
          Registered Member
          • 05-2006

Originally posted by John F
          Haven't tried acrylic sheets, but I agree with you 100% on the Pintech cymbals. That's what I'm using and I am completely astounded at the poor quality of Pintech plastic practice cymbals in sizes over 14". I have four 14" and one 10" cymbal and they are OK. But the 16" cymbal looked like a Pringle's potato chip when I received it. It was over 1 1/2" "out of flat" if you know what I mean. Completely unseable. And the 18" was a bit warped too. Not to where it was not useable, but for the price it ought to be perfect. I'd say Pintech has pretty poor quality control. I most likely won't be buying anything else from them.
          Hey dude....get in contact with a memeber named HopeDrums...or contact Pintech directly. They're usually really good about sort out any troubles with their stuff.

That sux!!! I hate it when I'm waiting for a new piece of gear and it fails immediately. They are usually very good about making things right though.

Does it look it was killed in shipping or just... you know..crappy construction?

E
          - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

• Bencthemusicman
            Registered Member
            • 02-2008

I've got an acrylic splash and i'm working on the hihats.

they are made out of plastic plates i found in the supermarket.

look really tidy and are very strong.

just need to find a clear rubber sheet so i can coat it tastefully.

My kit 25/02/09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzGxUMv3U4

Share the knowledge and evolve together.

Comment

• BeyondStupidity
              Registered Member
              • 01-2008

did you heat them up and shape them in any way? what thickness are they?

Comment

• BeyondStupidity
                Registered Member
                • 01-2008

I'm looking at 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4"
                A 1/8" X 24" X 48" is about $25 and that would do two cymbals
                A 1/4" X 24" X 48" is about $45 two cymbals also

what would work best for the cheapest?

Comment

• Bencthemusicman
                  Registered Member
                  • 02-2008

i've not got the facilities for heating them,

they are about 5mm thick (sorry i don't use inches).

do you know a way i could heat them using household items and a couple of old cymbals?

Comment

• seanwhitley2000
                    Registered Member
                    • 04-2008

Very high power hairdryer? It might heat them enough
                    My current DIY Edrums project -
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/seanwhitley2000/DIYEDrums

Freecycle your old stuff and get stuff for free!
                    http://www.freecycle.org/

Comment

• Bencthemusicman
                      Registered Member
                      • 02-2008

Keep forgetting to mention it but i'm pleased to see the freecycle link!

I might try heating it over a pan using steam or something (pressed between two old cymbals)

Comment

• BeyondStupidity
                        Registered Member
                        • 01-2008

here is some info about shaping and cutting Acrylic. http://fins.actwin.com/diy/acrylic.html

ok, it looks like you have 3/16ths, does that seem thick enough to whack pretty hard and hold together? I looked at some of the Visuaite cymbals and they look pretty thick but maybe thats because the pictures are up close.

Comment

• BeyondStupidity
                          Registered Member
                          • 01-2008

here is a place with Acrylic sheets, its kinda expensive though.... http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Ple...lack_and_White

I was looking at one 48X72 that would give me enough to make 6 cymbals

Comment

• BeyondStupidity
                            Registered Member
                            • 01-2008

http://www.plasticsmag.com/ta.asp?aid=2260 this has more specific information depending on what way you are going to heat it.

Comment

• Bencthemusicman
                              Registered Member
                              • 02-2008

Heres a few photos, the splash is finished and hopefully the hihat will be done this weekend.

Looks like it might be a bit too difficult to achieve the a high enough temp to form them but to be honest they're pretty good anyway.

the advantage of getting these as apposed to getting acrylic sheet is that these are stronger due to the shape.

by the way... it is acrylic isn't it?? not perspex? I'm no expert.

Please excuse the padding on the splash, its temporary till i find something clear... anyone??

Comment

Working...