Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a jack also be a vent hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a jack also be a vent hole?

Does anyone know if one were to replace the vent hole grommet with a jack, if the jack would still provide enough "venting" if the drum were to be used acoustically?

I am trying to decide whether I want to (a.) replace the grommet with a jack (b.) drill a new hole for a jack, or (c.) run a female "pigtail" through the existing vent hole. I want my A-to-E conversion to be completely or nearly completely reversible in about the time necessary to change a head.

I think option (a.) is the cleanest from an aesthetics point of view but option (c.) is the easiest and least damaging to the shell. Option (b.) as a last resort.

Thanks,
    lidrummer

I don't think you would get the same amount of air moving through a 1/4 jack as through a standard vent hole. How much difference it would make is another question. Maybe a few tiny holes drilled in incospicuous places (i.e. behind a tensioning lug) would make up the lack. Someone with some knowledge of the physics of drum venting might have some insight on this.

Honestly though, a 1/4" jack with the attendant nut is not that much of an eyesore. It's more the plug and the cord, IMO.
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

if you're not worried about drilling holes in your shells make a separate hole for the jack socket, but if switching between A and V drums involves removing carefully adjusted triggers i would acquire another cheap set of drums for conversion - if you have the room to store them! My bedroom, workroom and landing are full up with the things... but i dont mind.
      http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...760#post301760
      :cool:
      ;)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am not that concerned with drilling into the shells and I agree totally with the following:

Honestly though, a 1/4" jack with the attendant nut is not that much of an eyesore. It's more the plug and the cord, IMO.
        In fact, the "long" Neutrik jacks that most people are using these days look almost like the screw-in type of vent eyelets. I suppose I could even remove the jack and put in a screw-in eyelet when converting back to A and use some spade connectors or wire nuts for the wires so it can be removed fairly easy.

lidrummer

Comment

I'm using "c". I don't see where a short pigtail coming out the vent hole is anymore an eyesore than a jack plugged into a vent hole. And it's less work. As far as a jack mounted in a vent hole blocking the airflow - not a problem. IMHO, and others may diasagree with this, it's debatable whether vent holes are even needed in a modern drum with plastic (i.e., non-calfskin) heads. Listen to a tom, stick a plug in the air hole and listen again. Hear a difference? I think not. The "well, it equalizes air pressure and humidity" argument doesn't carry a lot of weight either if you do some analysis. So, if you want to mount a jack in the vent hole, go right ahead and don't worry about providing any addtional venting.

Comment

So I have decided to go with option "C". Fully reversible and doesn't look too bad either. I have the female stereo connectors but the only problem now is finding 3-conductor wire to make the pigtails. It is a real biotch to find this stuff let alone at a reasonable price. Any ideas shy of cutting up one of my Roland stereo cables?

lidrummer

Comment

Working...
            X