Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rent-A-Machine Shop

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rent-A-Machine Shop

    I was just reading the following thread and I noticed that several people expressed interest in welding and machining:
    DIY SPD-S Mount

    So, it dawned on me that I should share this place that I just discovered that some of you hardcore DIY'ers would benefit from:
    http://techshop.ws/

    It is a "machine shop" for members. They have plasma cutters and lathes and mig welders and all kinds of other expensive tools that are for use by members. So, you pay a membership fee and you can use the equipment for your own project(s). For a DIY'er, that would only have occasional use of this equipment, this sure beats the cost of ownership on all of this gear.

    Btw, they also have classes on all kinds of how-to topics that are very useful for the DIY'er, like:
    How To Cut Plastic, Wood and Paper with the Epilog Laser Cutter,
    How To Machine Aluminum on the Large Bridgeport Milling Machine,
    How To Make Things out of Carbon Fiber,
    How To Cast Objects from Molten Aluminum in a Sand Mold.

    -SD-

    p.s. I hope Mrs. Jman and Mrs. Render will forgive me for posting this

  • #2
    I wish there was something like that in Aus. I'd probably be one of the very few, if not the only female member though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Holy crud, I want one of those. They built a woodworking shop like that close to me, but I want metal tools!
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
        I wish there was something like that in Aus. I'd probably be one of the very few, if not the only female member though.
        Maybe true, but at least you could do more heavy lifting than the majority of the membership

        Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
        Holy crud, I want one of those. They built a woodworking shop like that close to me, but I want metal tools!
        I knew you would like this. Maybe you should introduce the woodworking shop owner to the these guys. Who knows, they might have expansion plans and it might make sense for both parties to strike some kind of deal or partnership arrangement

        -SD-

        Comment


        • #5
          They are open Valentine's & Mother's Day J...
          chris :D

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
            Maybe true, but at least you could do more heavy lifting than the majority of the membership
            .......
            lol
            I'll tell the story of how I destroyed the metal workshop in my highschool single handed when I was a teenager one day!!! ... It's a true story!

            Comment


            • #7
              Good idea for a business. Lots of companies would likely be willing to rent the equipment rather than have to drop the cash and depreciate it themselves... an operating lease also simplifies the accounting a tad.

              Great idea not only from a vdrums/DIYer perspective, but smart business idea.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                lol
                I'll tell the story of how I destroyed the metal workshop in my highschool single handed when I was a teenager one day!!! ... It's a true story!
                So tell already.
                sigpic

                Comment

                Working...
                X