Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY SPD-S mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY SPD-S mount

I wanted to mount my spd to the same rack as the rest of my drums and the apc-33 wouldn't work and roland is out of mdp-7u mounting plates. So this is what i came up with. Its a pdp super clamp or something like that with a mounting plate I made. I welded a rod to a flat plate then cut holes in it with a plasma cutter. It rock solid and only cost me twenty five dollars for the clamp and the metal. I used a stick welder and a plasma cutter but you could do the same thing with a oxy-acetylene torch or a decent drill. this is my first post so if i have broken any unwritten laws of etiquette please forgive me. enjoy.
    Attached Files

Hi,
    Very Nice, but why apc-33 wouldn't work ? I had apc-33 with a cymbal arm with a gibraltar clamp into V-Drum Stand mounted right near the module like you.

Comment

do you have a picture. i figured i would have to buy a clamp and a cymbal arm or a cymbal stand and either way would cost a lot more and be more to carry plus the apc can't clamp directly to the rack because it is too small so i thought this was the way to go maybe i missed something. i don't really know much about hardware i just kinda slapped this together because the parts i was going to use from roland were on backorder.

Comment

Great job. Very clean. I'm jealous that you have access to a plasma cutter. Those are FUN! Back in architecture school, when I had no time to even sleep, I had access to one and a metal shop. If only I did now when I could actually take advantage of it.
        I made a cowbell mount out of scrap metal that had our band name spelled out in 1/8" thick steel. A little heavy but I HAD to use the plasma for something

Easy Cheapo gig set:
        Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

Very nice. I wish I could weld, but I probably would just hurt myself badly.

Here is the steps I would take:
          One you lock the target,
          Two you bait the line,
          Three you slowly spread the net
          And four you catch the man!
          sigpic

Comment

yeah that thing is amazing my class just ended so i don't have access to any of that stuff anymore but hopefully next fall i will take some more classes. I have been trying to come up with any excuse to buy all that stuff but i don't have the money or the space. i was thinking about cutting our bands logo into something at some point. that must have been a nice looking cowbell mount. i didn't like having a jagged edge on one side plus it was a little heavy so i went nuts with the plasma cutter again to make it look a little industrial.

render you forgot the most important step five you weld the mount. i think i am only going to weld while listening to front 242 from now on. how much have you spent so far on the mondor.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by front 242 View Post
              render you forgot the most important step five you weld the mount. i think i am only going to weld while listening to front 242 from now on. how much have you spent so far on the mondor.
              Front by Front has a permanent spot in my work music rotation. Brilliant stuff.
              And according to TLMR (the Lovely Mrs. Render) I have spent way too much on gear.

So how much is a plasma cutter? I think I need one.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by front 242 View Post
                do you have a picture. i figured i would have to buy a clamp and a cymbal arm or a cymbal stand and either way would cost a lot more and be more to carry plus the apc can't clamp directly to the rack because it is too small so i thought this was the way to go maybe i missed something. i don't really know much about hardware i just kinda slapped this together because the parts i was going to use from roland were on backorder.
                Hi,
                I have attached picture, the mount for spd-s with roland apc and a gibraltar clamp to roland stand. I could remove the cymbal tilter as well. This will cost the Roland apc, cymbal arm and the gibraltar clamp about 80$
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Chris K; 05-17-08, 01:06 PM.

Comment

yeah thats pretty much how i thought it would work. i just figured if i was going to spend a bunch of money it shouldn't look homemade. roland should make a mount that fits onto a cymbal stand where the swivel joint is i think that would look a lot cleaner than a clamp that just fits on the pole or they should make the apc 33 big enough to clamp to the rack itself. those racks aren't very sturdy so i would rather use the fewest pieces possible to make it lighter.

if you like front by front you'll like my quasi official front 242 welding helmet. the lovely Mrs Render must be quite lovely if she let you get that far. my girlfriends already complaining and i only have the td6 which i got for 800 and an spd-s i have had for years. a plasma cutter that can cut plate like that will run for about six hundred dollars (about two pd-105's or an spd-20 in your currency) they will make perfect cuts too. mine are jagged because i zig-zagged while i was cutting to make it look more home made thats why there are points on the edges. plasma cutters also need compressed air though.
                  Attached Files

Comment

No worries about the compressed air - I have GAS.

And I love the helmet.
                    sigpic

Comment

you might have to change to the hobo diet if you want to produce the necessary pressures. i don't think you will be able to produce 4.5 cubic feet per minute at 60 psi unless you are only eating beans. if you don't your duty cycle will be drastically limited.

Comment

Just ask the LMR if I have the necessary pressure! Heh.
                        sigpic

Comment

it's all starting to make sense. the lovely misses doesn't stop your v-drum obsession because she is terrified by the constant threat of biological warfare attacks.

Comment

Now you got it!
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice Mount

I just bought an SPD-S to add to my roland kit, so I'm starting to work out how I'm going to fit it in. You mount looks pretty slick! I'll have to see what I can improvise from the drum hardware bin in the basement, I guess. Not sure how I'm going to solve the mount plate problem, though--no nieghbors with plasma cutters!

Comment

Working...
                              X