Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland VDrum Mount Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland VDrum Mount Conversion

Hey,

Has anyone ever tried converting the standard L arm mount on a Vdrum to the Pearl style (Hart Dynamic) tom arm mount? By looking at some pictures, the bracket look easily removable, but i cannot tell if there is a lug under there or not?

Originally posted by danovotny View Post
    Hey,

Has anyone ever tried converting the standard L arm mount on a Vdrum to the Pearl style (Hart Dynamic) tom arm mount? By looking at some pictures, the bracket look easily removable, but i cannot tell if there is a lug under there or not?
    on the pd 100, 105, 120, and pd125 there is a lug right under the tom mount.
    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

If that's the case, I suppose it would just be a matter of coming up with a way to compensate for the curved angles on those mounting screws meeting with a flush surface to mount the new tom arm on. Something like this:

Comment

Which pad do you have? If it's the 105/125, My concern would be the basket. Gibraltar also sells that mount for 'L' Rods.

-Axe-

Comment

Don't the Pearl ISS mounts clamp to the rim? Would those fit over the rubber silencer?

Comment

I've never been a real fan of the ISS system.

I don't have any specific pad yet, but could you elaborate on "Gibraltar also sells that mount for 'L' Rods."

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
              Don't the Pearl ISS mounts clamp to the rim? Would those fit over the rubber silencer?
              The Pearl ISS mounts work great. I've used them, however they would not fit over the rubber rim silencer. You would have to cut away part of the rim silencer to get it to fit. I used ISS mounts on one of my DIY edrum kits. Very stable system for smaller diameter drums. (12" and under) Here's a couple pictures:

alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Danovotny, what exactly is it you are trying to achieve? That'll give us a clearer target to work towards and we'll be able to give you better answers!

Comment

I'm using both types on my DIY kit: Pearl ISS on the 10" toms (as Hellfire said, they work GREAT on small-sized toms), and the Gibraltar L-rod mount on my 13" "floor" toms. No, the ISS will not go over a rim silencer. I DIY'ed my rim silencers, so as you can see in the pic, I left the 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock position (where the ISS mounts) bare. I've had no problem with them coming off. The Gibraltar L-rod mount is built like a tank, and will accept virtually all L-rods (even the 12.5 mm DDrum ones).

IMHO, the pros and cons are:

Pearl ISS: PRO - no permanent modification to the drum. The ISS bracket will cover some of the exposed holes where you removed the Roland mount. CON - You're not a real fan of them, and the rim silencer issue. You could always buy a new rim and silence it DIY-style.

Gibraltar L-arm: PRO - very sturdy, will fit any existing L-rod setup. CON - it may be a tight fit to mount on the relatively thin Roland shell (about 4"?).
                  Attached Files
                  Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

ige87,

I guess my mind is still thinking acoustic drum weights, which I felt ISS was questionable for on the bigger rack toms. I guess with the light weight of e-drums, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

All the drums in my set use the Pearl mounts. They were originally pd-110's and pd-120's. I drilled the shells and mounted the Pearl mounts flush. Much more solid mount in my opinion. Later I remounted the Roland elctronics into Pearl Firecracker 10" and 12" drums and remounted the Pearl mounts on those. I am very happy with my mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by drumslinger50 View Post
                        All the drums in my set use the Pearl mounts. They were originally pd-110's and pd-120's. I drilled the shells and mounted the Pearl mounts flush. Much more solid mount in my opinion. Later I remounted the Roland elctronics into Pearl Firecracker 10" and 12" drums and remounted the Pearl mounts on those. I am very happy with my mounts.
                        I had wondered if this would be an option. As I am somewhat new to the whole electronic scene, can anyone explain the differences between the various "PD" models?

Comment

PDs= anything ending in 0 is the older generation-PD120, PD100, PD-80(R). Out of these, the 120 and 80r are dual trigger, the 80 and 100 are single trigger. The ones ending in 5 -PD125, 105, 85 are the newer version and are all dual piezo triggers. The major difference between the 0's and the 5's is the trigger assebly. The 0's have a crossbar and the 5's have a 'spider basket' which offers more even rim triggering.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
                            PDs= anything ending in 0 is the older generation-PD120, PD100, PD-80(R). Out of these, the 120 and 80r are dual trigger, the 80 and 100 are single trigger. The ones ending in 5 -PD125, 105, 85 are the newer version and are all dual piezo triggers. The major difference between the 0's and the 5's is the trigger assebly. The 0's have a crossbar and the 5's have a 'spider basket' which offers more even rim triggering.
                            The newer spider-basket design pads may prevent you from using the traditional Pearl style mounts (the ones where the 7/8" inch mount tube goes through the shell), as the mount tube may interfere with the basket. Or you could limit yourself to inserting the tube just far enough to grip it (this is what you have to do with the ISS mounts anyway, so the tube doesn't mar the finish underneath the ISS bracket). I would definitely recommend having a look at both types of Roland pads (old and new, as described by ige87), even if just studying pictures online. Then look at the various mount options and make your decision from there. As you pointed out earlier, none of the e-drums are nearly as heavy as the full-sized a-drums, so the type of mount, while still important, may not be quite as critical.
                            Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

Working...
                            X