Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piezo mounting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piezo mounting question

Has anyone ever tried mounting a piezo without leads more like one of those coin cell batteries? Easier to swap out, no worry of breaking the solder joints.

wisker

I don't quite follow... how are you going to hook up the piezo to a mono or stereo jack if you don't have leads coming off of it? If you have conductive clips or something similar holding it down, wouldn't those interfere with the vibrations?

-- Setup -- DIY -- Rock Band Converter --

Comment

I've not tried it, but I like the idea. If you give it a go, post the results

Comment

Aha!... the fabled wireless piezo..... stuff of dreams?

Comment

i presume you mean something like this

http://www.modtronix.com/images/batth2032_pbc.jpg

could be interesting, but personally I wouldn't trust that at all, as well you would have pressure on the ceramic resonator which could effect it. Give it a try and let us know.

Dave
          Remo practice pad mesh conversion, Pearl Export A2E mesh, Pintech and TKO A2E cymbals, Roland TD-8, 1.5 eDrum trigger to midi converters (edrum.info), Alesis DM5's, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal. 6 200watt EV SH1502 speakers, 200watt Crate Bass amp, ASUS P5Q Mobo, 8Gb ram, q6600 Core2 Quad, 3 TB's of hard drives, ATI 3870 video, dual 22" monitor's. This stuff is FUN!

one of my kits http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zdavesf

Comment

Why do we put piezo leads where we do?

I hate starting threads so I'll tag on to this one....why do we put the leads on the piezo so close together? I can see the benefit of the smaller cone slot but why can't we run them out either side with two smaller slots or even wire the brass on the bottom away from the ceramic (although only the brass thickness)? Does the piezo produce varying signals depending on where the leads are? i.e. would the center of the ceramic produce different voltage than the edge...like wise with the brass...would the signal be different on the center of the bottom than the top edge?

If someone would please look into this and get back with me...not that I need to know but I was just wondering
            chris :D

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
              I hate starting threads so I'll tag on to this one....why do we put the leads on the piezo so close together? I can see the benefit of the smaller cone slot but why can't we run them out either side with two smaller slots or even wire the brass on the bottom away from the ceramic (although only the brass thickness)? Does the piezo produce varying signals depending on where the leads are? i.e. would the center of the ceramic produce different voltage than the edge...like wise with the brass...would the signal be different on the center of the bottom than the top edge?

If someone would please look into this and get back with me...not that I need to know but I was just wondering
              Although I have not verified this with tests, I cannot, from an engineering perspective, see how soldering the leads on to a different part of the piezo would make any measurable difference to it's output voltage for one simple reason. The brass disc has practically no resistance relative to the impedance of the piezo itself and therefore will have the same voltage across it's entire surface. The same is true for the metal plated part of the ceramic (the other conductor).
              The only possible thing this could make any difference to would be the resonance of the piezo due to the weight of the solder on the plated part of the ceramic. Even then, I'd challenge anyone to come up with anything meaningfully measurable.

Comment

Thank you SuperPuss for the easy to understand explanation...that satisfies my curiosity...for now

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

Response wise... mounting the leads to opposite sides prolly would be fine... although one of the biggest variables in this triggering is the piezo and foam mounting for sure... so just a little experimenting would be the ticket. But keep in mind the reason for the slot is to keep the impact stress off of the most vulnerable spot... the spot the lead is soldered. So I would think the center of the piezo would prolly be the most vulnerable place especially since it flexes.... and would avoid soldering a lead there.... Just my opinion though....

I don't really have any problems these days with piezos cracking.... but I can say that any problems I have ever encountered with piezos cracking the ceramic are always at the solder point.
                    J
                    Last edited by JmanWord; 05-19-08, 07:52 PM.
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

I am not having any issues with my set-up...no problems with soldering now either but lately I have been thinking more and more about how the piezo reacts to varying influences...more in terms of dynamics. I believe the piezo must produce a relatively wide range of voltage differences...the dynamic range? It seems to me that increasing the range of voltage differences should increase dynamics...I understand the differences would be minute but the module must be capable of interpreting some level of minuteness...(can't think of another word right now ). I know squat about MIDI but maybe it is only capable of a certain range...I guess there is a threshold below which MIDI can't work...

I think therefore I am...
                      confused

Comment

Working...
                      X