Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Zone Lectric Roto Toms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Zone Lectric Roto Toms

Not a first for sure... but, eh... I gotta build a new DIY every month or so... or I get bored. I'm doing some changes in my kit soon... just for a change of scenery... So I put the Lectrobans away and replaced em with the Lectric Rotos.

I saw that SuperPuss was talking about doing her set possibly..... I've been planning these for a month or so, but just picked up a set from eBay ...ordered last week.

Others have done Rotos here and I thought I'd post up this set I did with some pics. The Roto Toms are a pretty simple conversion. Looking at the build of one of these drums it actually lends itself to dual zone conversion by it's dual platform design. As the rim is actually mounted to the bottom platform with a separate top platform for varied tension to the head ... that bottom platform is perfect for the rim piezo. And of course the top platform is the ideal piezo/trigger foam platform. There is not enough space for a traditional cone ... so I chop shopped a few of my Devo Hats....
    Since the threaded rod for changing head tension/tone on roto toms passes through the center of the bottom platform there is no room for a rim piezo as is ..... so I attached a simple piezo platform by using steel plates and machine bolts.... by placing the platform next to center the rim piezo can rest on the platform and still touch the center of the bottom basket... giving very good, even rim response.

Ok.... so, this is where I say.... they work great...
    Attached Files
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

A few more pics.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Since these are replacing my octobans for now on my second module..... I use my Hi Hat on that module as a stationary hat leaving my HH control open. So I plugged an EV-5 expression pedal into the HH control spot and now use this pedal for my pitch control of the lectric roto toms. One little thing with that is... pedal Hi Hat volume just needs to be turned down to zero so there is no HH splash sound when stomping the pedal....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JmanWord; 05-07-08, 10:38 PM.
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

They look great Jerry....do you still need to rotate them for head tension or did you disable the center rod?

Can't wait for the movie
      chris :D

Comment

fantastic Jerry! your kit looks better every time I see it!! let me know when you get "tired" of them....

d4l
        MAPEX Black Forest Cherry DIY with TD20 module combined with TD3... (with room to expand!)
        1 Hart Ride, 4 Pintech 14" Crash Cymbals, Pintech China, 10" Pintech Splash, Roland Hi Hats, JBL Eon G2 Powered Speaker, Iron Cobra Powerglide Double Pedal, V-Expression's kits and not enough TIME in the day to play!!! :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
          They look great Jerry....do you still need to rotate them for head tension or did you disable the center rod?

Can't wait for the movie
          Actually Chris... I did not disable the center rod... It could spin.... But as far as the head tension goes ... when setting up the triggers and heads... you just leave the rod in one position... tighten the heads with a drum key as usual, then just leave em... Now, if someone had kids with curious hands... they would prolly want to lock/disable those tension bars to protect from someone spinning those drums and pullin the piezo wires.... Matter of fact... that is a good idea.... think I'll set up some little safety lock on those suckas... in case of ham fisted visitors

Comment

Originally posted by drummer4life View Post
            fantastic Jerry! your kit looks better every time I see it!! let me know when you get "tired" of them....

d4l
            Funny you should say that..... While I am by no means tired of em .... I've had my Kurillian Birch Exotic kit just sittin in cases for a couple years now.... So that is actually part of the change .... time to rotate the kits... The acrylic blues will be going into the cases... along with acrylic timbales, acrylic Moos, blue congas and bongos. And the Exotics plus these Lectric Rotos and some new Natural finish light wood congas, bongos and metal timbales and Moos take the floor...

I'm as bad as a lady and her shoes .... I gotta get the right look when I accesorize.... can't be blending the acrylic extras with the wood kit ... gotta match outfits

Comment

Very cool JMan
              Looks like we are on the same page with our current DIY's. I just got word back that the Pintech 6" mesh heads are available in Aus but they are expensive at nearly $50 each!! However, in the grand scheme of things v drums, this is a minor detail and I'll be ordering them

I got impatient though and have done an interim e conversion to my Roto's so I can play them while I wait
              My kit pics link in my sig has been updated with pics of my e roto conversion.

I can't wait to get my Pintechs though so I can restore that cool see through look of my roto's.

I must also say at this point that your DIY's are a HUGE inspiration to me

oh, and lol about you matching 'outfits' That is something I can relate to

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                I just got word back that the Pintech 6" mesh heads are available in Aus but they are expensive at nearly $50 each!! However, in the grand scheme of things v drums, this is a minor detail and I'll be ordering them

I can't wait to get my Pintechs though so I can restore that cool see through look of my roto's.
                The Pintech heads are definitely sturdier than the Pearl muffle heads. But Drum Tec heads are not available in the U S .... Those Drum Tec heads are similar to the Pearls I am guessing .... but aren't they much cheaper? Those are readily available in Australia right? I will prolly change my Pearl heads on the 8 and 10 soon.... as the Pearls are pretty flimsy .... but pricewise I could burn through 4 or 5 of those Pearl heads with no worries For the foam.... you should PM me or email me .... link on my webpage.... you just need to get ahold of some of this Poron very soft foam we have available in the states from McMaster Carr..... This stuff is as good as it gets, definitely as good as any retail trigger foam out there... J

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post

I must also say at this point that your DIY's are a HUGE inspiration to me
                  ....definately to many here! He is the MASTER!!
                  MAPEX Black Forest Cherry DIY with TD20 module combined with TD3... (with room to expand!)
                  1 Hart Ride, 4 Pintech 14" Crash Cymbals, Pintech China, 10" Pintech Splash, Roland Hi Hats, JBL Eon G2 Powered Speaker, Iron Cobra Powerglide Double Pedal, V-Expression's kits and not enough TIME in the day to play!!! :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by drummer4life View Post
                    ....definately to many here! He is the MASTER!!
                    I'm just another G A S victim and G A S has spilled over into the DIY zone.... Obsessive, Compulsive G A S Victims do find a nice home on this forum....

I do not recommend DIY drum conversion to anyone already suffering from G A S ...... with edrums and G A S there are only so many stock pads you can own..... with DIY conversions..... well, every piece of drum equiptment in the known world has a potential for conversion

Now ..... back to eBay..... where was that Ice Bell I saw

Comment

another gas victim here i just ordered keller maple shells to build my kit. i'll take pictures and post it here as i go. there is a real need for gas annominous in this forum! wait, i guess the diy section already is.
                      Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                        The Pintech heads are definitely sturdier than the Pearl muffle heads. But Drum Tec heads are not available in the U S .... Those Drum Tec heads are similar to the Pearls I am guessing .... but aren't they much cheaper? Those are readily available in Australia right? I will prolly change my Pearl heads on the 8 and 10 soon.... as the Pearls are pretty flimsy .... but pricewise I could burn through 4 or 5 of those Pearl heads with no worries For the foam.... you should PM me or email me .... link on my webpage.... you just need to get ahold of some of this Poron very soft foam we have available in the states from McMaster Carr..... This stuff is as good as it gets, definitely as good as any retail trigger foam out there... J
                        Thanks JMan
                        I'll shoot you an email about the foam. I've considered going the DIY route with the mesh heads but, to be honest, I think I'd rather just go with the Pintech's for my Roto's. It's more expensive but they are ideal appearance and durability wise for my needs even if they are expensive in Aus.
                        I'm about to convert eight new 8" toms to mesh heads though so I might consider something else a little less costly for those (I really don't feel like spending $360 on mesh heads for them)!! There's plenty of options in 8" sizes though so I should be able to get something in white too
                        Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                        I'm just another G A S victim and G A S has spilled over into the DIY zone.... Obsessive, Compulsive G A S Victims do find a nice home on this forum....

I do not recommend DIY drum conversion to anyone already suffering from G A S ...... with edrums and G A S there are only so many stock pads you can own..... with DIY conversions..... well, every piece of drum equiptment in the known world has a potential for conversion

Now ..... back to eBay..... where was that Ice Bell I saw
                        I absolutely second that JMan
                        I was in at my local drum shop last night after seeing David Jones at a drum clinic (he is an INCREDIBLE drummer) and was looking with eager eyes at all the percussion there!!!

Comment

Quick update for you Jerry.....
                          I did a complete backflip on my plans and ordered Roland heads for my 8" toms and did the DIY mesh thing for my roto's. They came out really well and look and trigger great

Comment

I never tire of Jerry's "work surface". Who needs a work bench when a washing machine works perfectly well?!
                            Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dschrammie View Post
                              I never tire of Jerry's "work surface". Who needs a work bench when a washing machine works perfectly well?!
                              Whatcha talkin about, you're confusing my Photo Studio with my shop That's the trademark Jman, washer/dryer if there is no washer/dryer in the pic. it ain't original Jman

Comment

Working...
                              X