Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adhering Gum Rubber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhering Gum Rubber?

I haven't done anything to my DIY kit in a long time, but I just moved and can't play my acoustic kit anymore. I now need to silence my DIY kit better, so I think that I'd like to use gum rubber on the playing surface. After searching posts, I found the item 87145K83 at McMaster-Carr, but I noticed that it has no backing/adhesive.

So here is my question for those who use gum rubber...how did you go about adhering it? I am guessing that it either stays where you place it, or that you can glue it on with 3M spray adhesive.
    sigpic

I don't have the bottle with me, but I think the stuff I used was the 3M90.

The gum rubber on my Hart Hats and Ride started falling off. I'll take them off and reapply periodicly on the frequently hit parts, but other than that it works perfectly!

E
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Your results may vary, but I've had good luck with Goop, Pliobond, and Loctite rubber adhesive.

Comment

Silicon cement holds great and is water proof, it's one reason why Dauz pads are bullet proof.
        Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

What about gum rubber onto shiny acrylic, such as the Pintech Visu-Lite models? I'm worried the glue won't stick to the acrylic because the surface is too shiny / glossy for the glue to work. I don't know that much about proper glues so appreciate any feedback. I don't mind repairs/upkeep but don't want the gum rubber to come undone at an untimely moment.
          Roland TD-12 with NEW firmware, VExpressions, and six TD-4 style pads; Home-Made DIY cymbals... including laser cut red acrylic HHat and never been happier with a set-up. ---Peace, and Music. -FreeTim

Comment

The best way to get a good bond is surface area. Now, the easiest way to increase surface area is to scuff/rough up a smooth surface.

This is an old thread but I'll add my 2c into the mix as well. I used contact adhesive on a recent DIY cymbal, applied to both surfaces until tacky to touch, then bring the surfaces together. Bond is excellent.
            Rob
            Building GAS as we speak!! - TD11KV. Extra Yamaha cymbals. MDS-25 rack.

Comment

I used gum rubber on my A to E cymbals to quiet them down. I wanted to be able to easily remove it though, so I used KRT to fasten it. It held just fine And never moved.

Comment

Thanks all. Here is the follow-up:

I went with, "JB Weld" on the gum rubber it glued acrylic to the gum-rubber easily and securely. JB Weld is that two-part epoxy-glue you have to first mix it to use it. I don't have patience for the 48-hour one so I used JB-Kwick , it's the same thing but sets up (cures) in 4 mins.

Wow when they say 4 mins they really mean it! Actually sets up while you are mixing it so you gotta be super-fast hands to apply and clamp parts. I mean fast. Which drummers do right? right? - Otherwise it's great! Was ready to play in under one hour.

I remember one time fixing a (auto) leaky radiator with this stuff. It lasted the lifetime of the car, which was impressive. -FreeTim
                Last edited by FreeTim; 04-08-12, 06:03 PM. Reason: Miss-spelled the brand name of glue. Fixe.d
                Roland TD-12 with NEW firmware, VExpressions, and six TD-4 style pads; Home-Made DIY cymbals... including laser cut red acrylic HHat and never been happier with a set-up. ---Peace, and Music. -FreeTim

Comment

Originally posted by FreeTim View Post
                  I remember one time fixing a (auto) leaky radiator with this stuff. It lasted the lifetime of the car, which was impressive. -FreeTim
                  A piece of molding came off the door of my car a couple years back, and I asked a guy I jammed with if he had any suggestions. He suggested JB Weld. Worked like charm, still stuck on there like it was factory. Great stuff. I also repaired some drainwork in my home with it. Who says bass players aren't good for anything.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X