Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help... piezo not very sensitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... piezo not very sensitive

Hey, I'm working on my first piezo trigger edrum and I'm having issues with sensitivity. Here's what I have:
    - Alesis Control Pad using trigger input #1
    - Radio Shack 273-073 piezo (cut out of plastic)
    - 1 pc of dbl-stick foam tape under piezo and above
    - 1.5" of foam above that
    - Pearl mesh head on 12" tom

The piezo doesn't seem very sensitive at all... I have to wack very hard right on the foam to get it to trigger. I even cut out a Roland-size cone made out of cork to use instead of the foam, and it still barely triggers unless I hit the 1/4" size dot where the head touches the cone.

Even without the cone and foam, if I tap my finger right on the piezo, I have to tap until it almost hurts to get it to trigger at 100% velocity. Also, the control pad is at the highest sensitivity setting, and I've tried changing polarity.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

It looks like you've already tried everything I would suggest.

Does the module have a pad type setting that you could change?
    I am not at all familiar with the Alesis module so hopefully somebody will come along who can suggest some module tweaks to try. Best of luck!
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Test the piezo leads with a Ohm meter...make sure no solder bleed between ceramic and brass...no cracks on the ceramic or separation from the brass. You should be able to gently tap naked piezo and get a response. Use one or two layers of foam tape below and only flat double stick tape on top for the cone...maybe bad/damaged piezo.
      chris :D

Comment

Try using double sided tape cut to the size of the ceramic under the piezo. or maybe you already have it that way. Ii solved my sensitivity problems.
        MY DIY Drums

Comment

Working...
        X