Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 bass drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 bass drum

just a quick question here

for my DIY, i'm gonna be going with 2 bass drums.. how would i do the wiring so that they go into the same input?

or would it be smarter to have each kick to its own input?
    www.myspace.com/distudios

metal, loud and ugly!

Hiya

Have their own inputs so they are independant and use a stereo y cable adaptor from any electronic store ?

i got this one off Ebay for my headphones, so for your needs you just plug the single stereo jack into module and 2 stereo cables from those female ends to the drum inputs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lynx-Headphone...QQcmdZViewItem

It is your choice though and please enjoy your diy project
    WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
    FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
    :eek: ...
    Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
    Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

It depends what module you have and what type of inputs it has (i.e. piezo/piezo or piezo/switch)... That will tell you if it's as simple as using a simple Y-connector (hint: if the input is piezo/switch, this will not work).
      Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

No Fred, if he wants both kicks to be the same sound (most common with two kicks) a Y-adaptor will combine the inputs from both triggers onto the same sound. You are correct that if his goal is to have two different kick sounds for some reason, he would need the input to be a piezo/piezo and use a mono-mono/stereo adaptor. If it's piezo/switch, he'll need to build a Raper circuit to make it work.

Comment

Your right ettsn, this y-cable "Converts two 6.3mm (1/4") stereo jacks to one 6.3mm (1/4")stereo jack" will give him the same sound on both bass drums out of his kick input.

Not sure what module kivarenn82 is using for his diy project, but on my DTXtreme II's, I can assign two different kick sounds out of the kick input, using a Hosna YPP-117 y-cable. This is a 1/4" stereo male jack to two 1/4" mono female jacks. Sometimes I'll use the same sound on each kick, but change the pitch, chorus and/or reverb on one of them. All kinds of possibilities available.

Good luck with your project kivarenn82. Wes
          Attached Files
          TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by ettsn View Post
            No Fred, if he wants both kicks to be the same sound (most common with two kicks) a Y-adaptor will combine the inputs from both triggers onto the same sound. You are correct that if his goal is to have two different kick sounds for some reason, he would need the input to be a piezo/piezo and use a mono-mono/stereo adaptor. If it's piezo/switch, he'll need to build a Raper circuit to make it work.
            ettsn - I know what you're saying, but this has not been my experience. Again, it would help if kivarenn82 would tell us what module he is doing this with. My understanding is that all the inputs on the DTXtreme II are piezo/piezo, so the splitter worked fine for WildWes. But, when I tried using the stereo Y-adaptor with a TD-6, it didn't work. I wanted to plug two single-zone, non chokeable cymbals into one input on the TD-6 (crash1 input, a dual trigger piezo/switch input). I knew I could only assign one sound to both cymbals, but I was OK with that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is doing the same thing as wanting two separate single-zone kicks producing the same sound, right? Anyway, I would only get a triggered sound from one of the two cymbals. Interesting enough, if I backed off the input plug from the jack at the module (essentially, wiggling it around a certain way), I could get both cymbals to trigger (but it had to be in this very particular "half-way" position EXACTLY. If I moved it at all, I was back to one cymbal again). I do not believe it was a faulty input jack on the module, as my CY-8's and PD-9's (both piezo/switch pads) worked normally, triggering both zones (and, of course, allowing different sounds in this case). I think what was happening in my jury-rigged solution was that by backing the input jack out slightly, I was getting both the tip and first sleeve (the stereo part) to contact the same point on the module input jack.

To make a long answer short, I think if he has a piezo/switch input, the simple Y-adaptor will not work. I believe you would need the Raper circuit.

Makes me wonder, though...I was using the stereo y-adaptor off-the-shelf like the splitter WildWes pictured. I wonder if you used a mono/mono INTO a mono "Y" if that would work? Then you would just be essentially wiring two separate piezos to the piezo part of the input - no different than when one wires multiple rim piezos on a snare.

Am I missing something here?
            -- Fred
            Last edited by freddarl82; 04-26-08, 11:42 PM.
            Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

hey guys, i suppose it would have helped if i listed my module and some other info.

anyway, i'm using a roland TD-6. I just kinda want to daisy chain the 2 kicks together to get the same sound..

My best guess is that a mono y cable would be best?

i was kind of thinking of doing in the yamaha KP-65 style where you can just chain the two together.. so you have independant sensors using the same input and signal.

metal, loud and ugly!

Comment

I think either idea would be worth trying, and the good news is, neither would put you out of much money if it doesn't. According to p. 34 of the TD-6 manual, the kick input is single-trigger only, so this is how you would have to go for now. Any type of stereo plug would be a waste - the input only makes contact to the tip and sleeve.

-- Fred

Comment

ok. i'm probably going to go with the chain idea.. i suppose i can wire the leads up parallel? ceramic to ceramic and brass to brass?

no reverse polarities or anything since i'm not going for 2 different sounds..

metal, loud and ugly!

Comment

I do the chain. Yes, they are ceramic to ceramic and brass to bras - parallel. I mounted a second jack on one kick and I use a regular cable to connect the two.

Module------>Kick------->Kick
                    sigpic

Comment

perfect! thats exactly what i was thinking of doing!

thank you michael!

metal, loud and ugly!

Comment

The old KD-7 kick beater has the ability to daisy chain multiple units. For a double bass I used to have my KD-120 kick daisy chained into the KD-7 beater which then fed into my TD-6 module. It worked fine and gave the same sound from both kick triggers .

Comment

Working...
                        X