Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum sizes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum sizes question

Does the drum sizes have any significant effect on the triggering? My 11.5 inch drums trigger reasonably but there is a definitely noticeable hotspot in the centre and its harder to trigger around the edges. I was wondering if smaller (i could easily get materials for 8inch) drums would trigger better/evenly and have a better feel to them. Ive done all i can with having the diy mesh as tight as possible and fine tuning the piezo and foam position. My dd502 module doesnt have all the fancy settings for triggering...
    My current DIY Edrums project -
    http://picasaweb.google.com/seanwhitley2000/DIYEDrums

Freecycle your old stuff and get stuff for free!
    http://www.freecycle.org/

I'm not that experienced but I've been told that, if you have a module that supports positional sensing, you shouldn't go much smaller than 10" or it will be harder to get noticeable positional sensing. Other than that, I haven't heard of problem with getting bigger.

Everybody seems to have some level of hot spot issues but I haven't heard of the head nearer the edges being significantly harder to trigger.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

Actually, I've heard the opposite; having drums with larger depths introduces a lot of tricky issues that can be difficult to isolate. I don't know from first hand experience, but I will know soon enough (I'm doing my own DIY A to E conversion right now)

-- Setup -- DIY -- Rock Band Converter --

Comment

I'm talking diameters not depths. I don't know about depths. I'm interested to hear what people say about depth having an affect.

I would assume that hot spots have more to do with the piezzo/foam/guts of the drum and, if you took the same guts and put them in 5 different sized drums, the hot spot would behave in a similar manner.

Sensitivity loss as you get further away from the center is another story. This is the first time that I've heard that. I'd like to hear what one of the pros on here says about that.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
        Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

I'm having that problem right now. I've made 2 12" toms that trigger perfectly so far.. but my 14" snare isn't very good. i did it up the same way as the 12"s but as you get closer to the edges it loses its power and omits some of my hits..

i'm unsure.. but i think i may have just wired the piezo backwards IF that affects anything..i guess i'll switch the wires and see what happens :/
          www.myspace.com/distudios

metal, loud and ugly!

Comment

I went through a lot of issues on my snare build and chronicled them here. Snares definitely present the biggest challenges. The "short list" I would check first are cone height and head tension, then go deeper from there (also assuming you have adjusted your module parameters). The wiring on the piezos should not affect basic triggering; it only becomes a factor for positional detection.

Good luck!
            Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

yea i'm not too hung up on PD. i just want the snare to trigger when i hit it.

would reversing the wires fix this? does the old td-6 even have PD? i don't notice any difference on any of my pads.. (PD-6's)
              Last edited by kivarenn82; 04-21-08, 05:47 AM.

metal, loud and ugly!

Comment

No, there is no PD on the TD-6 or TD-6V.

Comment

On my drums i have to hit within a few inches of the trigger to get it to trigger well. Anywhere further away doesnt register the hits. Ive been able to improve this since I started this thread by making the foam and piezo combination different (larger diameter of foam underneath the piezo) but its still far from perfect.... I ocassionally get 'blind spots' halfway between the piezo and rim where it wont trigger at all....

Comment

Originally posted by seanwhitley2000 View Post
                    On my drums i have to hit within a few inches of the trigger to get it to trigger well. Anywhere further away doesnt register the hits. Ive been able to improve this since I started this thread by making the foam and piezo combination different (larger diameter of foam underneath the piezo) but its still far from perfect.... I ocassionally get 'blind spots' halfway between the piezo and rim where it wont trigger at all....
                    Sean
                    That doesn't sound right -- with the basic crossbar/piezo/foam setup you are using, you should trigger all over the head. I would assume you have tweaked your module settings. I don't recall what module you have, but with mine (TD-10, had a TD-6 previously) I can get very light hits right out to the very edge of the head. If you are using a Roland module, they recommend you start out at Threshold 0, then set sensitivity, scan, retrigger, and mask, then you can go back and adjust the threshold up to a higher value.

As far as foam and piezos go, I know you have scoured this site, but the double-stick foam tape you use to attach the piezo to the crossbar should be SMALLER than the overall size of the piezo. Most people recommend it should be about the size of the ceramic. I see you are using some of the large size piezos with a lot of brass area, so you could cut your double-stick foam tape a little larger than the ceramic. The point is, part of the brass should be allowed to hang free beyond the double stick tape so it may move and vibrate freely. The foam cone (or cylinder) on TOP of the piezo should be AT LEAST the size of the piezo so that it can transfer the vibrational energy from the head to the brass of the piezo (which, in the previous step, we ensured was free to move when it received this "strike.").

-- Fred
                    Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by freddarl82 View Post
                      Sean
                      That doesn't sound right -- with the basic crossbar/piezo/foam setup you are using, you should trigger all over the head. I would assume you have tweaked your module settings. I don't recall what module you have, but with mine (TD-10, had a TD-6 previously) I can get very light hits right out to the very edge of the head. If you are using a Roland module, they recommend you start out at Threshold 0, then set sensitivity, scan, retrigger, and mask, then you can go back and adjust the threshold up to a higher value.

As far as foam and piezos go, I know you have scoured this site, but the double-stick foam tape you use to attach the piezo to the crossbar should be SMALLER than the overall size of the piezo. Most people recommend it should be about the size of the ceramic. I see you are using some of the large size piezos with a lot of brass area, so you could cut your double-stick foam tape a little larger than the ceramic. The point is, part of the brass should be allowed to hang free beyond the double stick tape so it may move and vibrate freely. The foam cone (or cylinder) on TOP of the piezo should be AT LEAST the size of the piezo so that it can transfer the vibrational energy from the head to the brass of the piezo (which, in the previous step, we ensured was free to move when it received this "strike.").

-- Fred
                      is the ceramic supposed to point up or down?

metal, loud and ugly!

Comment

Normally, the ceramic side is up and the brass side is down.

Comment

Maybe this is time to blame my module for triggering woes For some reason having the piezo attached with foam the size of the ceramic to the crossbar has worse triggering than the foam being the same size as the entire piezo... Ive got a millenium mps-100 module (exactly the same as the dd502). It has no triggering options so thats probably not helping. I'll see what happens when I get myself a roland td-3. It could just be my module not picking up light hits at all very well. Even with the pads that came with it, it wont register light hits properly... I'll see if i can convince a friend to let me test my drums on his td-8 module. Would having smaller piezos help triggering? Is my 50mm piezos too big?

Comment

Working...
                          X