Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tryin to get some Newb help [Acoustic triggers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tryin to get some Newb help [Acoustic triggers]

I played drums in high school and now i want to start playing again. I cant disturb my neighbors so i have to be quiet.I dont like the feel of electronic kits, so i did some reaserching.I now kno i can use acoustics with mesh heads and triggers. So i pretty much got it figured out. But got a few questions.....

WHICH TRIGGERS ARE BETTER THE ONES THAT CLAMP ONTO YOUR DRUM, OR THE LITTLE ROUND ONES(how do theese mount on the drum)?

ALSO WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO USE YOUR OWN HIT HAT STAND?
    -IF THAT IS POSSIBLE

COULD I BUY PRACTICE CYMBALS AND BUT ACOUSTIC TRIGGERS ON THEM AND USE THEM FOR CYMBALS?
    -IF I COULD HOW WOULD THE HI HAT WORK?

I know i am a newb, but would definetley appreciate the help

Steve
    Last edited by steve_huck; 04-17-08, 04:42 AM.
    -atorHater
    !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX
    SD 2.2, Addictive Drums 1.5

hi steve huck,

1 - acoustic drums can be converted to electronic drums using mesh heads, cones and piezo triggers mounted on a cross bar placed in the drum (see my build blog), the ones you mount on the rim i think are easier to set up but i'm not sure if they are as effective.

2 - the Roland VH-11 works mounted on a conventional hihat stand, it's not cheap but works brilliantly.

3 - i'm sure practice cymbals could be triggered using piezos but not sure how good the results would be, everybody here experiments with all sorts of ideas and come up with some interesting things!

i would guess your cheapest alternative would be to buy some black mesh heads and cymbal practice pads mounted on an acoustic kit, this would be just loud enough to hear what you're playing but won't cause too much disturbance.
    Last edited by mystic fred; 04-17-08, 07:55 AM.
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...760#post301760
    :cool:
    ;)

Comment

does any one know the pros and cons of the clamp triggers compared to the cone tip triggers? also mystic wat is the thing on your crossbar that the wires are plugged into? And where do you get crossbars?
      -atorHater
      !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX

Comment

Originally posted by steve_huck View Post
        does any one know the pros and cons of the clamp triggers compared to the cone tip triggers?

Clamp trigger will be mono and depending on the module, positional sensing will be off. I personally, and this is just my opinion, but, I don't care for the acoustic triggers (clamp triggers).

The brace/crossbar triggers will allow for more accurate positional sensing and you can do dual zone which gives you rim triggering.

As for the crossbars you can make them. But that's a whole other topic of discussion and can be searched here.

-Axe-

Comment

does any one know the pros and cons of the clamp triggers compared to the cone tip triggers? also mystic wat is the thing on your crossbar that the wires are plugged into? And where do you get crossbars?
          the wires go into a simple terminal block, and the crossbars are cut from 36" steel bars.
          ;)

Comment

so when you make it dual zone does it take up to jacks in the drum module or do you wire them together and run a splitter? how does that work. Also are the piezos from radoishack velocity senitive? i used theese in my rockband(xbox360) there is no sensitvity but im thinkin thats just the game
            -atorHater
            !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX

Comment

so when you make it dual zone does it take up to jacks in the drum module or do you wire them together and run a splitter? how does that work. Also are the piezos from radoishack velocity senitive? i used theese in my rockband(xbox360) there is no sensitvity but im thinkin thats just the game

I am not familiar with the game... However, sensitivity is dependent on the module, not the piezo. So I believe that yes, it is the game.

If your module supports dual zone inputs you will not loose an input e.g.. Roland TD-20, if it only supports mono inputs e.g..Alesis DM-5, you will.

The module is the one place you don't want to skimp... You want the best module you can afford. Everything else can be replaced or updated over time. Although I don't recommend it... "DIY" doesn't mean do it cheap.. you can do pads and cymbals very inexpensively and update them.

Hope this helps

-Axe-

Comment

Thanks for the help grinder. I am thinking on getting an alesis trigger io. But still if the module supports dual zone is that how you do it? Do you split the wires together?

Also this hi hat stuff is really getting on my nerves. I cannot find what i am looking for anywhere, although i have found this guide. But once again i am a newb and dont know if i will be able to do it with my module.

http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=35474

And is there any way to know what all will work on your module? I am a 19 year old that supports me and my girl. So i cant throw money out the window because got the wrong part

Thanks
                Steve_Huck
                -atorHater
                !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX

Comment

[/COLOR]
                  Also are the piezos from radoishack velocity senitive?
                  So I guess my answer in the other thread wasn't good enough?

People here are very helpful, and very pleasant. But I predict that very quickly people will stop responding to questions that have already been answered several times before. We love to help and encourage new members who try to help themselves. Try browsing through the DIY forum and familiarize yourself with the search engine.

'I cannot find what i am looking for anywhere' often translates to "I didn't try very hard" or 'it would be easier if everybody just did it for me", and thats when people stop responding. I'm not saying you're guilty of any of that... yet. Just a friendly 'heads-up'

It's called 'Do It Yourself' for a reason...
                  Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Thanks AXE and MYSTIC for the help,. ...tis off to find a new forum

A piezo is just a piezo. A simple voltage device.
                    Velocity sensing is interpreted by the module.
                    At least thats my understanding
                    So NO it wasnt good enough
                    Last edited by BarT; 04-23-08, 11:12 AM. Reason: Rule 3.
                    -atorHater
                    !!

Roland TD-3, Yam TMX

Comment

Alrighty then... and thats exactly how the rest of my day is going, so I should have known better and just kept my mouth shut.

I predict you'll do well in life with an attitude like that...
                      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

lol - Sabre, bad day?

Steve, Sabre's a good guy. He is just suggesting using the search engine. In your defense. The search engine here can be a bit buggy. It's kind of a known issue. Last I knew anyway.

Check you pm's here. I've sent you a link regarding the Hi-Hat controller.

Comment

Tomorrow is a different day ...

Hi Sabre hope you are fine ...

He said he has gone to find a new forum, do u think we will miss him terribly?

I believe that velocity sensitivity is a feature that is supported through midi.

Piezos react to pressure of vibrations so in a way they are velocity sensitive but only once they are wired and have the support of an appropriate sound module that can interprete this, without that support they aren't much at all i guess. I read somewhere that Piezo is latin for "pressure"

Here's the wiring diagram for head and rim piezo for a Roland module http://vdrums.com/forum/attachment.p...1&d=1189776335

mmm time for my medication he he
                          Last edited by daveybabes; 04-22-08, 02:52 PM.
                          WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                          YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                          FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                          :eek: ...
                          Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                          Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

one stereo jack connected to two piezos (one with a cone on the crossbar and one taped to the rim), this is the method Roland employ but their rim piezo is mounted on the crossbar. .
                            Last edited by mystic fred; 04-22-08, 02:33 PM.
                            ;)

Comment

Sorry, not having language like that. I'm reporting the post. Anyone have a problem with that, especially after TK's post?

Comment

Working...
                              X