X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JmanWord
    replied
    Chris and I did a little trading via the mail. He hooked me up with one of his foam cutting jigs. I went out and bought an electric carving knife before I realized the little lady had a couple stored away. The jig works great, the poron cones trigger excellent, and my foam doesn't look like little poopies anymore You da man Chris

Leave a comment:

• weldman
    replied
    Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
    Thought ya'll might like this...had the idea for the electric knife about a year ago but the jig was a recent inspiration. I just turn the cone by hand-no table saw this time
    I am using 1/2" Poron and modified hole saws with a drill press but the pipe-punch works well...although it is slightly smaller... I make mine as close as possible to the preferred manufacturer's...obviously, the size is dependant on how the jig is made.
    The top needle is long to keep the tip firm when trimming. I don't think sanding is needed but that's personal preference. With just the knife, the cones have VERY slight vertical ribs... (for our pleasure).
    Enjoy

i know from making cones how hard that foam is to cut...it wont work with a hot wire or utility knife at all.

ill have to do a similar setup for me next set of cones.

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    just bumping...there's many discussions about cones I thought I'd drag this thread back out in case it is of help to some

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    Originally posted by marcdadrummer
    Chris, i pm'ed u...
    well, I PM'd you back...

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    Originally posted by Beerhoven
    What kind of foam and adhesive did you use for those, if I may ask.
    I've read about a stiffer/denser foam working best, but have never touched a real roland cone (yeah I know you laughed perv ).
    Just because my posts drip with innuendos, sly misspellings and childish, sophmoric humor don't make me a perv...other things do
    I get foam from HERE...it's called Poron Quick Recovery...I use the adhesive backed stuff...stack three layers leaving the bottom covered till the last...I believe Jman has a link on the sticky (I can only get the home page to link)
    Originally posted by Beerhoven
    Now for a short gushing obeisance,
    I'm newly joined here, I've been a lurker for a long time doing research and I plan to make a kit for a TD-20 in the near future. Everyone here has been an insperation, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    just giving back that which was so freely given me
    Last edited by bogiesbad; 10-24-06, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Beerhoven
    replied
    What kind of foam and adhesive did you use for those, if I may ask.
    I've read about a stiffer/denser foam working best, but have never touched a real roland cone (yeah I know you laughed perv ).

Now for a short gushing obeisance,
    I'm newly joined here, I've been a lurker for a long time doing research and I plan to make a kit for a TD-20 in the near future. Everyone here has been an insperation, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• marcdadrummer
    replied
    Chris, i pm'ed u...

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    I'm happy the cones worked for you Doug
    Last edited by bogiesbad; 12-12-06, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wdtractor1
    replied
    got those cones and they work great I am using adjustable cross bars with them. I dont know how other cones work but these work flawlessley for me... good job bogie. No cross talk - no double triggering - SWEET..... THanks

Leave a comment:

• marcdadrummer
    replied
    hey chris... thanks for all the vital infos.. btw, what is the IDEAL thing for?? the picture u gave me shows the product..???

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    The cone should be 1/8 inch or so above the rim...use a straight edge, the head should compress the foam enough to maintain contact with the head during the rebound from a strike. I would go no more than a 1/4 inch.

I am not the Chris from Vexpressions although he is just as wonderful as I am
    HERE is their website.

Leave a comment:

• marcdadrummer
    replied
    Couthness!! umm, im also confused about this....

1) how high must i put the crossmember? i.e, must the cones be compressed when the mesh heads is tightened or must it be loose??

2) if it's loose, would'nt it drop off the crossmember?? like tilting it like a tom about a good 35 degrees...

3) and chris, are u one of the creators of Vexpressions??? hee... i think i write my long winded PM later since its 8.06 Am, oct 22 in the morning and i have'nt slept a single hour from 8.00 Am oct 21... In the meantime, im sorry for all the noooobie questions, but i've got to get facts ya know.. hee... thanks chris!! u are my online V savior...

marc

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    he have done many projects which works sometimes, flawlessly...
    I resemble that guy
    Well i have a few questions to blurt out here, dont mind if i do.. hee

1) What the fish is crossmember?
    IMO the easiest method is to attatch two "L" brackets to the shell on oposing lugs and suspend an aluminum crossmember (I use 1inch "U" channel) across the diameter, screw a wider (at least 2 inch x 2 inch) plate with thin insulator (rubber gasket) underneath to this...Like THIS
    2) And also, what is associated with Crosstalk??
    that occurs when a strike on one pad triggers another pad due to proximity/mounting...this is usualy quelled through the module

And also, chris, umm im guessing shipping to singapore with usps would be the best since they offer tracking... but i dont really know the rates they are charging... My best bet would be the cheapest and the slowest since im not using them cones soon yet since i have a major exam in 2 weeks time... also, to cut down the costs.. I'll pm u asap when i have the time aaite... i need to also ship other stuff if everthing goes swell...

FWIW, is the cones ur making have them sticky tape at the bottom like roland have in their cones?? and also the little chipped off bottom to accomodate the umm wires of the piezo???

cheers mates.!
    My cones have sticky little chipped-off bottoms
    Last edited by bogiesbad; 10-21-06, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• marcdadrummer
    replied
    Hey chris, thanks for the info's there... Wow, even though i have been exposed on Electronic drumming for about at least 2 months now, i feel like a real noobie after reading most of the posts when i used the "search" button u've told me to... It really feels like i have just got the gist of DIY'ing A's to E's...

well, luckily, for my side, there's a savior... A friend of mine who hopefully claims to know how to read wiring diagram, and do the basic all thats... an avid DIY'er himself, he have done many projects which works sometimes, flawlessly...

Well i have a few questions to blurt out here, dont mind if i do.. hee

1) What the fish is crossmember?

2) And also, what is associated with Crosstalk??

And also, chris, umm im guessing shipping to singapore with usps would be the best since they offer tracking... but i dont really know the rates they are charging... My best bet would be the cheapest and the slowest since im not using them cones soon yet since i have a major exam in 2 weeks time... also, to cut down the costs.. I'll pm u asap when i have the time aaite... i need to also ship other stuff if everthing goes swell...

FWIW, is the cones ur making have them sticky tape at the bottom like roland have in their cones?? and also the little chipped off bottom to accomodate the umm wires of the piezo???

cheers mates.!

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    Closing in on the magic 3000...any plans for a celebration

Maybe STutuD will start one of those never-ending awards threads

Leave a comment:

Working...
X