X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cone should be 1/8 inch or so above the rim...use a straight edge, the head should compress the foam enough to maintain contact with the head during the rebound from a strike. I would go no more than a 1/4 inch.

I am not the Chris from Vexpressions although he is just as wonderful as I am
    HERE is their website.
    chris :D

Comment

hey chris... thanks for all the vital infos.. btw, what is the IDEAL thing for?? the picture u gave me shows the product..???

Comment

got those cones and they work great I am using adjustable cross bars with them. I dont know how other cones work but these work flawlessley for me... good job bogie. No cross talk - no double triggering - SWEET..... THanks
        TD-10/TDW-1 --Ludwig diy E kit --Slingerland A kit--

Comment

I'm happy the cones worked for you Doug
          Last edited by bogiesbad; 12-12-06, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Chris, i pm'ed u...

Comment

What kind of foam and adhesive did you use for those, if I may ask.
              I've read about a stiffer/denser foam working best, but have never touched a real roland cone (yeah I know you laughed perv ).

Now for a short gushing obeisance,
              I'm newly joined here, I've been a lurker for a long time doing research and I plan to make a kit for a TD-20 in the near future. Everyone here has been an insperation, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge.
              I might be a one trick pony, but it's a helluva trick!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerhoven
                What kind of foam and adhesive did you use for those, if I may ask.
                I've read about a stiffer/denser foam working best, but have never touched a real roland cone (yeah I know you laughed perv ).
                Just because my posts drip with innuendos, sly misspellings and childish, sophmoric humor don't make me a perv...other things do
                I get foam from HERE...it's called Poron Quick Recovery...I use the adhesive backed stuff...stack three layers leaving the bottom covered till the last...I believe Jman has a link on the sticky (I can only get the home page to link)
                Originally posted by Beerhoven
                Now for a short gushing obeisance,
                I'm newly joined here, I've been a lurker for a long time doing research and I plan to make a kit for a TD-20 in the near future. Everyone here has been an insperation, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge.
                just giving back that which was so freely given me
                Last edited by bogiesbad; 10-24-06, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marcdadrummer
                  Chris, i pm'ed u...
                  well, I PM'd you back...

Comment

just bumping...there's many discussions about cones I thought I'd drag this thread back out in case it is of help to some

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
                      Thought ya'll might like this...had the idea for the electric knife about a year ago but the jig was a recent inspiration. I just turn the cone by hand-no table saw this time
                      I am using 1/2" Poron and modified hole saws with a drill press but the pipe-punch works well...although it is slightly smaller... I make mine as close as possible to the preferred manufacturer's...obviously, the size is dependant on how the jig is made.
                      The top needle is long to keep the tip firm when trimming. I don't think sanding is needed but that's personal preference. With just the knife, the cones have VERY slight vertical ribs... (for our pleasure).
                      Enjoy

i know from making cones how hard that foam is to cut...it wont work with a hot wire or utility knife at all.

ill have to do a similar setup for me next set of cones.

My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                      Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Chris and I did a little trading via the mail. He hooked me up with one of his foam cutting jigs. I went out and bought an electric carving knife before I realized the little lady had a couple stored away. The jig works great, the poron cones trigger excellent, and my foam doesn't look like little poopies anymore You da man Chris
                        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X