PDP LXE Kurillian Birch A to EZ Conversion Phase 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tamaman883
    I love those drums JMAN. It is such a beautiful finish. By the way, what the heck do you do for a living to be able to afford all these kits without having to sell one first. You should feel very fortuanate that your counterpart(wife or girlfriend) is so supportive of you building these kits. Its hard for me just to get in a half an hour before I hear griping about all my time being spent on those drums. She just doesnt get it, its a passion.

Hope to see new videos of the new kit on your site soon.
    Affording this is called GC 12 mos. 0 interest... sufficient time to wheel and deal Fortunate prolly ... but free from gripes.... no, no... I suffer the same fate as some, if not most other edrummers with a passion for their drums and a affectionate ball N' chain.... I am very thankful for headphones... just wish I couldn't read the lips or interpret the expressions... I've worn her down over the years though(wearing myself too in the process!)... and the battle is not as intense

I'll prolly hold off for a mo. or so on the video demo... until I get the 2 add on toms coming from the factory...

Glad to hear about your next DIY compact.... this DIY stuff can become addicting too, eh!.... later, J
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Myrk-
      I was under the impression Birch was not the same wood as maple... In all your descriptions you say your new kit is birch, but on all the shells it says "All Maple Shells"...

I'm confused
      Hi Myrk- : This is the PDP LXE kit...
      http://www.pacificdrums.com/lxe/lxe.htm
      It comes in 2 choices of finish ply. Like the other PDP LX kits... it is an all maple kit... but the LXE's come with an extra exotic wood finish ply. Perfect for me ... as I really wanted the Exotic wood finish.. but don't need to pay Exotic kit prices for my conversion. J
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Snare complete

Well, now that the snare is finished ... not much to do but wait for the Extra toms to come in... I've been playing my 12" converted snare mostly for mos. now, and I do like the small snare. But this 14" snare is a blast to play too... and it is hard to tuck it away and go back to the 12". So it looks like the 14 LXE is gonna stay in play. It is giving me excellent triggering on head, rim, and crosstick are consistant .... nothing left to really improve on this one...

Since this is the 3rd kit I've converted in the last 6 mos.. no real surprises.. pretty smooth conversion really. I did decide to do this snare just like the trigger kits I have built and shipped to a few others... I purposely didn't take any measurements in my LXE snare... but just built everything the same as on the kits I've shipped, .... After everything was built, I pulled out the snare and installed the kit... The trigger kit fit like a glove....
        Attached Files

Comment

Jman, just let me join the crowd when I say WOW. That is one sweet finish!!

Just noticed with the bass drum, that you have the trigger positioned on the bottom left lug? Do you find this to be more beneficial than in the top right?

And the kit looks awesome on that rack Mine arrives tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by machinehead44
            Jman, just let me join the crowd when I say WOW. That is one sweet finish!!

Just noticed with the bass drum, that you have the trigger positioned on the bottom left lug? Do you find this to be more beneficial than in the top right?

And the kit looks awesome on that rack Mine arrives tomorrow!
            Well the Gretsch is a beauty... that Pearl Black Burst of yours is quite a looker too.... These acoustic drum finishes are like pretty girls, each with it's/her particular pretty features... you know you shouldn't ... but you turn your head to look.... and if you look too close.. you do crazy things and your wallet ends up empty.....

Alright.. your wait is almost over... I guess you prolly have the module now... and you are about set to drum eh?

Actually the response is pretty much identical... I pulled my existing kick trigger out of the Gretsch ... and do to the length of the wires and the jack position in the LXE kick... that was just the convenient lug to mount to...
            Since the trigger is edge mount on the kick and the beater strike position is close to center their is not too much dif. in lug choice as far as response. Head tension and cone height are prolly more important .... Email or call if you run into any questions when you get rollin on the new kit.... J

Comment

Keep it up Jerry...you'll get the hang of DIY eventually

As always, you are setting the bar on v-drums...and as always, you are showing others the way to get there themselves.

Thanks from a Ham-fisted Wanna-V....
              chris :D

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord
                Prolly should be more mature and all.... But I realize as I get older ... it's still not so different.... I'm a kid at Christmas .... all over again... only I'm not a kid and it's April.

The 5 Pc. PDP LXE Kurillian Birch kit came in today. The additional toms won't be in until mid May. I began converting the kick while I was on line here...
                I'll share some pics of the kit as it arrived... and the converted A to EZ...
                1st thing the counterpart had to say.... "I like the blue one better".... then she changed her mind and decided my aux. snares will match better with the new kit... She gives me till the end of summer till I start to concider the next kit... I can't believe she thinks I'd ever even concider that

I am pretty pleased with the way the jack is installed... looks as PRO as it can... IMO...

So let the fun begin..... again... J
                Hey Jman,

Sweet set to convert. Did you end up parting w/ your Gretsch? I'm kinda in the same mode right now, looking for a new project and I am *completely* in love with my Taye Go Kit. I'd like to pick up a 2nd one for conversion. That would mean though that my custom Gretsch kit would have to go.

I wonder how hard it would be to sell that kind of kit?

Anyway, I'll be watching this conversion very closely.

EDIT: Went through all the posts and it seems you still have the Gretsch.

~telengard

Comment

Originally posted by telengard
                  Hey Jman,

Sweet set to convert. Did you end up parting w/ your Gretsch? I'm kinda in the same mode right now, looking for a project and I am *completely* in love with my Taye Go Kit. I'd like to pick up a 2nd one for conversion. That would mean though that my custom Gretsch kit would have to go.

I wonder how hard it would be to sell that kind of kit?

Anyway, I'll be watching this conversion very closely.

~telengard
                  Tell yourself, I do not need .... I do not need... I do not need a dif. kit.... my Gretsch Catalina Birch Red Cherry kit is beautiful..... hopefully it will work for you... resist!!

Tele... you are as bad as me... you did your Gretsch about the same time as me.... then you did a Taye Go kit.... you're hooked...

On the LXE... rather than buy all new mesh heads and start the conversion from scratch this time... I decided to part out the Gretsch conversion and convert it back to A's ... now I will sell the Gretsch A kit... Part of the decision to do it this way.. was the fact that I have an 8 Pc. Gretsch kit... so I figured it is tougher to find a buyer for that exact configuration of A kit... let alone A to EZ kit... and would prolly have to split it up anyway...and selling individual converted toms in the brand and color... thinking that someone will want 1 13" converted Blue Gretsch tom... don't think so... So I figure it will be easier to do it this way...

Comment

Originally posted by Rain Man
                    Hey J!

Which jacks are you using again?

I have to redo my snare and I think the Radio Shack jack that I am using is part of the problem.

Ray
                    Cmon Ray... stop jinxing me here!

I finished the rest of the drums no problem... then I noticed the LXE snare had a problem where it just didn't seem to be a tight fit with the audio plug... it missfired a little bit.. and I reinserted it... fine... then a problem again... I finally went through 3 jacks and half a day until I got it just right... Some of those in-line Allelectronics jacks are a loosey Goosey fit... gotta try em out 1st... J

Comment

Slick Jman .... Very slick indeed!

(Still dig that washer of yours too!)

-Dana

Comment

JMan, On your rims, do you glue the rubber on , or is there another way to get them to stick and still be able to take them off if you want to convert back to A's?
                        V-Pro Series - TD-10 w/ TDW-1 :D - Sabian Acoustic Cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by jejensen
                          JMan, On your rims, do you glue the rubber on , or is there another way to get them to stick and still be able to take them off if you want to convert back to A's?
                          I use the same type of hose as Jman and have no problem with them staying on during play with no adhesive....I guess gigging would be a different story.
                          I've seen black silicon adhesive...it would come off the rims with a little rubbing if needed...I would use that if I wanted to stick them....
                          chris :D

Comment

I use the same rim trim as Jman and it stays in place by itself. I do gig with set and some of the trim comes loose during transit, but it slides right back into place with almost no effort and stays there during the entire gig. In fact, most of the trim stays in place during transit too.

DIY E-Pearl Rhythm Traveler
                            Roland & Yamaha cymbals, DrumKAT TURBO 4.5, PoleKATs, TD-20

My Pink Floyd The Wall Tribute band - "Beyond The Wall"

all original CD with previous band - Rhyme & Reason

Comment

Whew... long day.... Yup, Bogie, Ray, and I ... all using the same rim trim... The important thing is to go with the flow... If you cut the tube making sure you retain the natural curve the way it comes off the roll... you're set!. On a couple of the drums in the past I have super glued the 2 ends of the tubing together.... not to the rim mind you.... but to each other... and it just helps keep em together/on the rims that much better.... I do not recommend using contact cement, Goop ... or anything else to adhere it to the rim.... Been there ... done that... the adhesive will come off with Laquer thinner and elbow grease later, if you decide to remove it... but why bother... not necessary with this type of rim rubber.... J

Comment

Working...
                              X