Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

edrumin trigger i/o for expanding Alesis Strike module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edrumin trigger i/o for expanding Alesis Strike module?

I have a thread on the edrumin forum but not really getting much input.
    Has anyone setup the edrumin 4 or 10 used as an extension to the Alesis Strike module? I want to know if it's possible to connect some additional pads to the edrumin and assign the midi notes to existing kits to expand them. I don't want to purchase it when it finally goes in stock again in October unless I know there is a way to do this. I want to be able to just trigger the additional pads and another cymbal via the edrumin using sounds from the strike module and be able to assign those additional pads/cymbal sounds under my existing saved kits. It says you can use the eDrumin to expand your module but is the above possible?

You can only "expand" a module that has the ability to trigger sounds that aren't assigned to a pad zone. The Alesis Strike doesn't have this ability. Older Yamaha modules (pre DTX-PRO/PROX) can do it, as can some older Roland modules with the sequencer/percussion set or percussion part function (I believe this includes the TD-30, 20, 12, 9, 8, and 6, with the 10, 7 and 5 having a limited version). The Mimic Pro can also do it - there are 8 "MIDI only" instrument slots.
    The eDrum Workshop | YouTube

Comment

Funny you ask, as I've been playing a lot with the edrumin and strike the last couple days..

First, in response to your question, the answer above is correct, your can't expand the strike.

Next, you have options. You can still split stuff, but instead of using splitter cables, just have the edrumin send the midi for a Tom rim or something like that. Just know that your still have to deal with the 200mb limit.

Here is a thread showing what all the midi notes are
      https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7535
      Last edited by thebigzw; 07-26-22, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigzw View Post
        Funny you ask, as I've been playing a lot with the edrumin and strike the last couple days..

First, in response to your question, the answer above is correct, your can't expand the strike.

Next, you have options. You can still split stuff, but instead of using splitter cables, just have the edrumin send the midi for a Tom rim or something like that. Just know that your still have to deal with the 200mb limit.

Here is a thread showing what all the midi notes are
        https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7535
        But this thread seems to suggest you can: https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7535.0

thoughts on the above thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Bpjacobsen View Post

But this thread seems to suggest you can: https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7535.0

thoughts on the above thread?
          nothing in there says anything about expanding the amount of inputs, it's just triggering the existing ones via midi.
          Alesis STRIKE, PD-105/125 rack toms, 14" PDP MX floor tom diy single zone trigger, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900, hart e-cymbal2 (stack), CY-5 (splash), Lemon 18" (RD), CY-12R (RD2), DMPad14 (CR1), PCY155 (CR2), DMPad16 (CR3), diy cymbal pad (bell), PCY130 (china), Lemon 13" (HH), with goedrum ctrl.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

nothing in there says anything about expanding the amount of inputs, it's just triggering the existing ones via midi.
            Hmm, so I was apparently misled into thinking edrumin would allow expanding pretty much any module. Well that sux. So now I have to decide if I should can the Strike and get essentially the only good sounding module that has enough triggers to support my large kit. And that would be the stupidly expensive Pearl Mimic Pro. My only chances of getting that is to sell my vp cab. Does anyone know of any cost affective options out there that would sound as good as or better than the Alesis Strike that would support the use of 14 pads and 4-5 cymbals? Plan is to have 2 3 zone rides, 3 crashes, then the 14 drum pads. (bass, snare, 6 rotos, and 8,10,12,12,14, and 16 inch toms) yes a rather large kit but it's more fun with more stuff to hit. lol. I don't want to buy some outdated module with crap sounds on it either. What are my options with this type of setup? The Alesis misses by 4 pads and 2 cymbals.

Comment

What about 2nd strike module then? Since you like it and know how it works it seems the ideal candidate for you and the price is not bad new or 2nd hand.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                What about 2nd strike module then? Since you like it and know how it works it seems the ideal candidate for you and the price is not bad new or 2nd hand.
                Hmm, I didn't even think of that! lol that is a marvelous idea! I may just consider that. I would need to research how I would connect them together (if possible) to make them seamless and be able to hear triggered sounds on both modules in one head set. I know I can copy the kits to my spare sd card then just assign the extra pads from there but how would this work with having separate SD cards and modules/pad assignments etc with one set of headphones receiving the sounds on two modules?

Comment

The easiest way is main out on the module to the aux in on the other one.

Best way is to get a small mixer.

Comment

Agreed with above. A small mixer would be my choice. Keyboard players with a few keyboards are used to having a small mixer. I use one as well for rehearsals.
                    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                      Agreed with above. A small mixer would be my choice. Keyboard players with a few keyboards are used to having a small mixer. I use one as well for rehearsals.
                      So I ended up getting a 2nd strike module cheap on ebay. Had tried the direct chain method using the midi in/out ports on the two modules but was getting a different sound on one of the pads vs when they are not connected. Tried setting the midi channel to 11 on the slave but no difference (per 65 drums video on using 2 modules) Probably going to work better if I just use the direct audio only method either by connecting the two outputs on the slave to the aux in using a proper Y cable or using a mixer. two questions:

1. Since I will be connecting two of the same exact module together would it be easier to just use the Y cable or what advantages does a mixer provide that makes it worth spending the money on one?
                      2. What is a good but fairly cheap mixer for this purpose should I choose to forgo that option?

Comment

Hmm, so I was apparently misled into thinking edrumin would allow expanding pretty much any module. Well that sux. So now I have to decide if I should can the Strike and get essentially the only good sounding module that has enough triggers to support my large kit. And that would be the stupidly expensive Pearl Mimic Pro. My only chances of getting that is to sell my vp cab. Does anyone know of any cost affective options out there that would sound as good as or better than the Alesis Strike that would support the use of 14 pads and 4-5 cymbals? Plan is to have 2 3 zone rides, 3 crashes, then the 14 drum pads. (bass, snare, 6 rotos, and 8,10,12,12,14, and 16 inch toms) yes a rather large kit but it's more fun with more stuff to hit. lol. I don't want to buy some outdated module with crap sounds on it either. What are my options with this type of setup? The Alesis misses by 4 pads and 2 cymbals.
                        Yes. Abandon the module and add an ED10.

Of course if you gig out with this kit of yours, then you'll want a portable mini-pc or laptop, and your favourite triggering software. Even with all that I'll bet it's cheaper than that module and you'll have a crazy amount of control over your kit's triggering. The control software is the real monster when you buy an ED.

I have an ED10+ED4 and have 2 of those inputs split to a couple extra triggers (cowbell & sidestick), 5 toms, 4 cymbals. I could probably split off toms too, but I need the rimshots.

It's not the perfect answer to your dillema but it's at least an option.

Comment

So I ended up getting a 2nd strike module cheap on ebay. Had tried the direct chain method using the midi in/out ports on the two modules but was getting a different sound on one of the pads vs when they are not connected. Tried setting the midi channel to 11 on the slave but no difference (per 65 drums video on using 2 modules) Probably going to work better if I just use the direct audio only method either by connecting the two outputs on the slave to the aux in using a proper Y cable or using a mixer. two questions:

1. Since I will be connecting two of the same exact module together would it be easier to just use the Y cable or what advantages does a mixer provide that makes it worth spending the money on one?
                          2. What is a good but fairly cheap mixer for this purpose should I choose to forgo that option?
                          Ideally you could use a two-input headphone distributor like this one I managed to find with some effort:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41mOHBb1kYL._AC_SX425_.jpg

It might be overkill if you're not hosting headphone jam sessions, but really any mixer with two or more input channels would suffice. It's hard to find a two-input cheap mixer. I don't know about using a splitter. It would probably work okay but I'm not sure how well that works. I know that splitting off a stereo signal to two stereo reduces the volume, but not sure what happens when you do that in reverse so ymmv.

Comment

Working...
                          X