Rim guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim guards

I've been playing edrums for more than 15 years and tried every rim guard that I can find on the market on my snare and none of them hold up to my playing for more than a few weeks. They all start to split along the leading edge of the metal rim where my sticks lands most frequently on rimshots then becomes loose at those spots. Then it takes a stronger and stronger hit to trigger the rim and my dynamics become off. I've tried putting 2 layers of electrical tape on the rim before installing the guard to try and blunt the sharp edge of the metal rim but that didn't work. Then I ran across this post about rim protectors on cymbals-

"U-channel EPDM is also used as door edge guards on automobiles and other applications that involve repeated impact. Industrially, it can be had with varying hardness levels. I've been using industrial U-channel EPDM on my own drums as rim guards and can attest it stands up very, very well to me beating the living daylights out of it with direct rim shots."

I PM'd the writer of the statement above asking him more specifically what he uses but have not heard back from him.

Does anyone have any ideas here?

Originally posted by cobaltdrive View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas here?

I have been on the same quest for about the same amount of time (15-20 years). I believe I have found the holy grail of rim guards, specifically for the snare to combat heavy rmishot strikes (as least for me) in the Pintech SiltenTrim.

Like you I have tried almost everything out there including hardware store rubber and nothing holds up as good as the Pintech. It's the only rim guard I will use on my snare now. Very durable!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...entrim-14-inch
    Pearl Mimic Pro; Custom Acrylic Shells; ISM-6 Snare Conversion Kit; UFO eBridges; ATV/Roland Cymbals.

TD-50DP => SD3; KD-9; PDX-100(x4); VH-13; Roland Cymbals.

Comment

Second the Pintech Silent Trim. It is solid.

Comment

I’m in the UK and destroy the ones on my diamond snare all the time. I just keep spinning them until totally destroyed. I haven’t tried the drum-tec ones. Does anyone know if these are durable? I have no problem with the Roland ones which are quite hard.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

These ones (with an L-profile cut to the inside) actually last forever. Unless you play wearout sticks. Those are available at several providers.

Comment

Originally posted by AEHybridDrums View Post
            These ones (with an L-profile cut to the inside) actually last forever. Unless you play wearout sticks. Those are available at several providers.
            Yes I think I may have to get one for my snare.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I have the drum-tec noise elimitator pro, however I have to say that I am probably not the right person to share the opinion as I am not a heavy hitter and I don't play with rimshots too often.
              I am using it for an year already and it has just some small marks. Even though I don't play too often with rimshots, it looks like it is a good rim guard.
              Ronaldo B.

Comment

Clear tubing from Home Depot. Works better than any dedicated rim guard I’ve tried and hardly noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Aka Wayne View Post
                  Clear tubing from Home Depot. Works better than any dedicated rim guard I’ve tried and hardly noticeable.

Good thought. I used fuel line as well and that was really solid and cheap.

Comment

Just received three 'rim noise eliminator pro' from Drum-tec. They seem very sturdy but I can't tell you how long they will last of course.

Comment

The clear tubing was too noisy for my taste. Automobile carburator cable is really sturdy and low profile (as well as cheap). Using it for like 5 years, not a single sign of wear. image-02-10-2020_15-31-22-63.jpg image-02-10-2020_15-30-39-18.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
                      A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
                      TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

deleted
                        Last edited by Ginnungagap; 11-22-20, 02:47 AM.

Comment

spend the money and just get the roland stuff.....lasts a fricking lfetime comapred to the other crap out there....

Comment

deleted
                            Last edited by Ginnungagap; 11-22-20, 02:47 AM.

Comment

My problem with the dedicated rim guard is they it kills your rim sensitivity. So you have to really whack it to get a rimshot which is louder since you are hitting it harder. To me it kind of defeated the purpose and why I like clear vinyl tubing more. The fuel line sounds nice too.

Comment

Working...
                              X