Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoiding hotspot, DIY snare

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Avoiding hotspot, DIY snare

    Hi

    I'm looking into making/assembling an electronic snare.

    I will use eDRUMin interface, which has its own "hotspot suppression", but that adds a bit of latency for the calculations and I'm not sure it's the optimal way to do it.

    I wonder.. why not make it even better on the drum itself?
    Some drums (like the expensive ATV snares) have 3 cones placed apart inside.

    Has anyone here made a drum in that direction?
    Or got some tips on how to get around hotspottin'?

  • #2
    Here are some DIY pics from a snare I just built recently. I done know why but this configuration with a fairly tight 3 ply head has very little hotspotting.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

    Comment


    • #3
      Slick design dude. How do you adjust the height of the cone?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ohm-ish View Post
        Hi

        I'm looking into making/assembling an electronic snare.

        I will use eDRUMin interface, which has its own "hotspot suppression", but that adds a bit of latency for the calculations and I'm not sure it's the optimal way to do it.

        I wonder.. why not make it even better on the drum itself?
        Some drums (like the expensive ATV snares) have 3 cones placed apart inside.

        Has anyone here made a drum in that direction?
        Or got some tips on how to get around hotspottin'?
        Have you tried it before doing another design? I don't think you'll notice the latency.

        If you do a 3 cones design you'll lose positional sensing. So you have to choose.

        You might take a look at this thread, I think edge and bell sense has a pretty similar algorithm to hotspot suppression : https://www.audiofront.net/forum/vie...=Latency#p1941

        Comment


        • #5
          The three screws that hold the 1/8" trigger base to the mounting disk are threaded through the 1/4" aluminum disk, there are nylock nuts on the bottom to lock them in place. There is almost two inches of vertical adjustment in the trigger plate. Its easy to get the 2mm set. There is a foam isolation disc under the piezo I think that is helping with the hot spotting. I can't figure out what else is helping. Unless it's just inherent to the design itself. Its a clone... I can't take engineering credit. The idea is based off of an R Drums design, with a few modifications like the rubber bumpers on the trigger plate and the decoupling foam under the piezo. I made similar spoke design triggers for the toms and they have very slight hot spotting but nothing major, they lack the decoupling foam. I may try adding it but that that will likely never happen.

          The three cone design is slick, I've tried that too. The hotspotting just moves and you end up with three lesser hot spots. Its less noticeable but you loose positional sensing. If you don't care about positional sensing I'd stick with one piezo at 12 o'clock or 9 o'clock Roland has gone back to this with the PDX12 for a reason. It works.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by a2edrummer View Post

            Have you tried it before doing another design? I don't think you'll notice the latency.

            If you do a 3 cones design you'll lose positional sensing. So you have to choose.

            You might take a look at this thread, I think edge and bell sense has a pretty similar algorithm to hotspot suppression : https://www.audiofront.net/forum/vie...=Latency#p1941
            HSS works with as low as 2.3ms scam time I’m pretty sure. That’s lower than most Roland modules can go and still achieve effective ps I’m pretty sure. I have the edrumin and couldn’t live without Ps and HSS. I had a td12 and the ps was never good with my diy snare and the hot spot was always there.

            Comment


            • #7
              I use 3M Scotch non-slip (30mmx30mm for 27mm piezo) between the piezo and the foam (6cm), the hot spot is gone in my Kick even the beater hits directly and only changing the threshold +3 for a perfect balance between soft and hard hits.

              May I try the same thing using 38mmx38mm 3M Scotch non-slip for the 35mm piezo in the snare because 27mm piezo is good but 35mm piezo was better
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ginnungagap; 10-11-20, 04:48 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I did the same method above but still using 30mmx30mm anti-slip for the Snare and the hotspot is gone with 35mm piezo, so, now feels awesome with full dynamics and I didn't move any settings.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ginnungagap View Post
                  I did the same method above but still using 30mmx30mm anti-slip for the Snare and the hotspot is gone with 35mm piezo, so, now feels awesome with full dynamics and I didn't move any settings.
                  This is a very interesting finding. I might have to try this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was about to post in the eDrumin thread, but since it came up here... I used to play with the Yamaha DTX700. I had good triggering using a hard foam, as the module was not so sensitive I guess. With the eDrumin, i lost a lot of dynamics and had a strong hot spot that was hard to get rid off. Since the device is so sensitive and tweakable, I switched the center cone for a very soft foam. Think car washing sponge. Calibrate and a couple of tweaks later, I have very good dynamics, and virtually no hot spot. Enabling the HSS feature barely engaged, I have completely eliminated the hot spot, while getting amazing triggering and dynamics.
                    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

                    My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by perceval View Post
                      I was about to post in the eDrumin thread, but since it came up here... I used to play with the Yamaha DTX700. I had good triggering using a hard foam, as the module was not so sensitive I guess. With the eDrumin, i lost a lot of dynamics and had a strong hot spot that was hard to get rid off. Since the device is so sensitive and tweakable, I switched the center cone for a very soft foam. Think car washing sponge. Calibrate and a couple of tweaks later, I have very good dynamics, and virtually no hot spot. Enabling the HSS feature barely engaged, I have completely eliminated the hot spot, while getting amazing triggering and dynamic.
                      Did you shaped it like a cone or it doesn't matter with the eDRUMin?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Omg, I just tried with a part of this sponge.
                        I kind of did a cone but really bad shaped and it triggers perfectly.

                        No hot spot and I don't even need the hot spot algorithm.

                        With 35mm piezo.

                        I wonder why I paid so much for cones. I'll see how long it last.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Last edited by a2edrummer; 10-17-20, 10:17 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by a2edrummer View Post

                          Did you shaped it like a cone or it doesn't matter with the eDRUMin?
                          Some brands uses squares, cylinders or circles foam to make triggers.


                          Originally posted by a2edrummer View Post
                          Omg, I just tried with a part of this sponge.
                          I kind of did a cone but really bad shaped and it triggers perfectly.

                          No hot spot and I don't even need the hot spot algorithm.

                          With 35mm piezo.

                          I wonder why I paid so much for cones. I'll see how long it last.
                          DIY foam may is not the best perfect shape but at least that makes the job instead paying an expensive cone with the same objective, so, the design of the foam is just a matter of taste.


                          The foam in edrumming last more to wear because is not getting exposed with chemicals or abused for cleaning purposes.
                          Last edited by Ginnungagap; 10-17-20, 04:00 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by a2edrummer View Post
                            Omg, I just tried with a part of this sponge.
                            I kind of did a cone but really bad shaped and it triggers perfectly.

                            No hot spot and I don't even need the hot spot algorithm.

                            With 35mm piezo.

                            I wonder why I paid so much for cones. I'll see how long it last.
                            How is PS?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by a2edrummer View Post
                              Omg, I just tried with a part of this sponge.
                              I kind of did a cone but really bad shaped and it triggers perfectly.

                              No hot spot and I don't even need the hot spot algorithm.

                              With 35mm piezo.

                              I wonder why I paid so much for cones. I'll see how long it last.
                              My cones came already shaped, but I have also used squares and columns.

                              Glad it worked for you too.
                              DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

                              My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X