Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2E Conversion help!

Hi all,

Just after some advice as I start my A2E conversion, i've just got my hands on a shell pack and awaiting sales on my spare gear to fund the parts I need. I will be using my Yamaha DTX700 module with 2xPCY135 1xPCY155 and RHH135. I plan to use Jobeky side mounted triggers and their 3-ply prestige mesh heads. After speaking with Jobeky theu habe said the DTX700 should be plug and play, however they don't own any Yamaha modules and base that off of user feedback.

Has anyone used a DTX700 for a conversion and able to offer help with how to set up and tweak it if required, fairly new to E-Drums and even more fresh to this venture. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Kyle.

will you be using 'head' only on toms ? (no rim) because DTX700 has different rim triggers from roland,
    head only would work with jobeky.. but for the snare 'rim' trigger, you need to read up on yamaha type 'rim' triggering
    (piezo/ switch type) or buy a snare that works with this type of trigger..
    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Hi Eric, if that's the case then yes head only for the toms, i will have a read into the Snare/Rim triggers aswell. I've got my Bass Drum and Snare parts arriving tomorrow so I shall see how I go with those.

Realistically I think I will also sell my Yamaha Module and RHH135 and PCY135's/155 and look at a Roalnd module as they seem to be plug and play from people i have spoke to on F.B and read in the forum area. Most likely the TD-17 or 27. Would you recommend anything by Roland or any other manufacturer for that matter?

Comment

recommend.. that's partly a budget question.. but i would go to a big shop and try 'every' module.. imo, a td-27 'without' the digital pads
        is a little bit like buying a toyota chr without the 'hybrid' engine.. (if you know what i mean) ..but i would try if a td-17 is what you like..
        also read up on roland trigger settings like, treshold, sensitivity, scan time, mask time, retrig cancel, crosstalk, velocity curve, i think e-drums
        are partly 'plug and play' ..sure, they work, but you do need to 'tune' them to your play style.. some modules don't have enough parameters (imo)
        you could also buy a 'used' roland module and maybe trigger toms and snares on vst (and use the module hh, cyms)
        you could also keep everything, do this with the DTX700 and buy a yamaha xp120sd snare.. ..there's more idea's on the forums..
        Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Eric, thank you. Ideally I want to work on keeping my module so I will go with trial and error. So far I have dialled in my Bass drum but struggling with getting the snare to have two zones. I think a TD-17 will be great if all my cymbals will work, I understand the ride may loose a zone but I can live with out the bow/edge for crashing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KSJM89 View Post
            I understand the ride may loose a zone but I can live with out the bow/edge for crashing etc.
            https://zourman.com/product/roland-a...ne-connection/ i haven't used it myself but zourman sells this connector to get 3 zones from yam cymbals on roland module

or if you're not going to be using the stock sounds and will be triggering VST just buy an eDRUMin, you can get 3 zones out of both roland, atv, or yamaha cymbals using only 1 input
            Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

and might want to keep an eye on the 'selling' forum section.. some guys sell their eDrumin-4 .. like said above, you could use it to get
              snare zones working as well as cymbal zones (through midi in) on a DTX700..

Comment

Thanks guys, very helpful indeed! It seems the Edrummin route seems best for value so far and also connectivity using what I have.

I will go and have a look!

Cheers

Comment

I don't know about the DTX700, but I'm using a DTX502 with a Roland snare and get both head/rim. Yamaha put out an update to add support for piezo/piezo triggering.

Comment

Hey man this is essentially my exact set up with slightly different hardware. I use DTX502, a combination of PCY100/135/155 and HH135 with Roland Rim 10 and 30 triggers and a two Roland BT-1's for effects. Your triggers will not really be plug and play, but the Jobecky's and PCY's should both work great with minimal fuss. You'll need to go into the menu and set the trigger type for each trigger. It's super easy to do. Getting the triggers dialed in to sound and respond the way you want is significantly more tricky, but that is always the case with E-Drums, part of the process. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, happy to help!

The reason your snare might not be triggering both zones is because Yamaha's snare triggers are a different piezo type (3 zone vs 2 zone). I actually had this same issue two years ago. It's counter intuitive but you'll need to switch your snare and another trigger input and then swap those two in the module (it's very easy to do). That should get your rim sensor working. Also make sure your rim triggers are set to DT50S (or DT50K for the kick). I see from the last comment that there's an update now, so maybe look into that as well since it would be path of least resistance.

Comment

^well, turns out these guys are probably right? https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/upd..._66700_en.html
                      you could try update the firmware to 1.10 .. and try DT50S trigger type for snare.. (those should be dual piezo..)
                      (or check if it already is 1.10)

Comment

Indonesia, Mr Pink and Ericdeumz, thank you! I had updated it some time back but never really read the notes I swapped the Snare to the Bass drum and adjusted the pad types and Instrument and i now have a Rim click!

I will continue to explore swapping the other inputs to see what is Piezo/Piezo as opposed to Piezox2/ switch as that seems to be the way Yamagata went... I have also learnt that the DTX502 has a lot more Piezo/Piezo inputs as opposed the the DTX700. This should keep me happy until I borrow an Edrumin 4 to test with Superior Drummer 3 and see what works best! Thanks again guys!

Comment

thanx to Ladron and Mr.Pink, (i learned something about yamaha from this thread too)
                          but great news you got it working without spending a buck ..

Comment

Indeee Eric, I'm half tempted to actually find out the Piezo/Piezo ratio on a DTX502 and trade down if its better as I will use SD3 to trigger sounds anyhow. Got a good fix for free for now though and another option to look at in the mean time. Edrumin 4 will be the next test!

Comment

Working...
                            X