Oscilloscope Specs and Manufacturers Wave Forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscilloscope Specs and Manufacturers Wave Forms

I'm thinking about buying an oscilloscope to up my game a bit. I've searched around a bit and seems like we haven't covered this yet, so I think this thread could be super useful for everyone.

2 Questions here:

1) Oscilloscope requirements. I've never used one and I'm not sure if there are particular specs that I need to look for to make proper assessment. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

2) Manufacturer's wave forms. I don't own any of the high end gear, all my stuff is diy, so I don't have a bar to compare with. Requesting people share images of the wave forms they captured from various manufactured equipment.

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by causticv View Post
    I'm thinking about buying an oscilloscope to up my game a bit. I've searched around a bit and seems like we haven't covered this yet, so I think this thread could be super useful for everyone.

2 Questions here:

1) Oscilloscope requirements. I've never used one and I'm not sure if there are particular specs that I need to look for to make proper assessment. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

2) Manufacturer's wave forms. I don't own any of the high end gear, all my stuff is diy, so I don't have a bar to compare with. Requesting people share images of the wave forms they captured from various manufactured equipment.

Thanks so much!
    What exactly do you want to do? Waveforms of gear?

Most people here are just users of gear, you are not going to get a lot of replies.

If you are referring to the cone material thing I've mentioned: Buy a roland cone, make your own using various materials and put both of them next to eachother inside a drum and see how the waveform looks.

I have this oscilloscope, gets the job done:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ARM-DS...caAityEALw_wcB
    Last edited by frankzappa; 08-11-20, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frankzappa View Post
      What exactly do you want to do? Waveforms of gear?
      I'd like to set myself up to be able to assess new designs/materials. Waveforms of gear would be awesome if anyone is able to share. It'd be interesting to see it collected into a single thread, lol if just for my curiousity. And also it would be a valuable resource for other diy'ers that want to experiment.

Most people here are just users of gear, you are not going to get a lot of replies.
      yeah understood, even a few examples would help us find the bar

If you are referring to the cone material thing I've mentioned: Buy a roland cone, make your own using various materials and put both of them next to eachother inside a drum and see how the waveform looks.
      great suggestion, this will be helpful for isolating the performance of the impact transmitter design. I'm also curious to see what the wave form would look like when the cone is implemented by the manufacturer, this would be helpful in assessing the overall design of a drum (i think?)

I have this oscilloscope, gets the job done:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ARM-DS...caAityEALw_wcB
      awesome ty

Comment

quick update here. i found a somewhat diy way to improvise an oscilloscope. You can use the line-in input on any computer sound card to record and view the wave forms. unfortunately it doesn't split the head and rim signals into right and left like i was expecting. but ive found i can use a TRS splitter to isolate and record the waveform for each zone which let me figure out the optimal minscan settings.

Comment

Working...
        X