Cable wiring pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable wiring pattern?

I have a question on wiring cables/plugs.

1. With a TS (mono) plug, I have a cable with a white and red wire. Which color should be connected to Tip and Sleeve?
    2. With a TRS (stereo) plug, I have a cable with a white, red, and black wire. Which color should be connected to Tip, Ring, and Sleeve?

Thanks,
    Steve

Are you using these cables to connect pads?

It should’ t matter unless there is some other difference in the wires themselves or you are carrying audio on them. You just need to match the colors at both ends?

Or do you have TS on one end and TRS on the other end of the same cable? In that case just match the tip to the tip and the sleeve to the sleeve.
    Last edited by dboomer; 07-27-20, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dboomer View Post
      Are you using these cables to connect pads?
      It should’ t matter unless there is some other difference in the wires themselves or you are carrying audio on them. You just need to match the colors at both ends?
      Or do you have TS on one end and TRS on the other end of the same cable? In that case just match the tip to the tip and the sleeve to the sleeve.
      No, this is really a generic question.

Is there some accepted electrical wiring design standard? In other words, are red wires usually assigned to tips, white to sleeves, etc. or is it simply catch as catch can? If someone is to look at a cable without checking the polarity (which would be silly) could you most often assume a specific color wire is assigned to a specific sector of a plug/jack (i.e., tip, ring, sleeve)?

Thanks,
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
        I have a question on wiring cables/plugs.

1. With a TS (mono) plug, I have a cable with a white and red wire. Which color should be connected to Tip and Sleeve?
        2. With a TRS (stereo) plug, I have a cable with a white, red, and black wire. Which color should be connected to Tip, Ring, and Sleeve?

Thanks,
        Steve
        On those examples:

1. Red tip, white sleeve
        2. Red tip, white ring, black sleeve

*** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

On those examples:

1. Red tip, white sleeve
          2. Red tip, white ring, black sleeve
          Thank you electro - then I've been doing it correctly. I also understand with shielded cable the outer shield is sleeve. I have some shielded cable with blue and yellow wires but that just seems like an anomaly. I believe I went with blue for tip but I really don't remember. I have plugs on both ends. I tested the tips-rings-sleeves all pair up so it appears to be working fine.

One other question if you please. Regarding speaker wire, often times the paired wire comes with a white stripe down one wire or the pair comes with one wire colored silver the other gold. When connecting to say an RCA jack which wire should be tip and which should be sleeve. Additionally, which wire is positive and which is negative? Is the RCA jack tip positive or negative. I think I know this answer but I'd like reassurance from someone much more knowledgeable than I.

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14px]

Is there some accepted electrical wiring design standard? In other words, are red wires usually assigned to tips, white to sleeves, etc. or is it simply catch as catch can?
            Cut enough cables open and you will find them all over the place

Comment

Working...
            X