Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can poron be cut with a hot wire cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can poron be cut with a hot wire cutter?

I'm thinking about buying one of these hot wire cutters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14w0exHA6E

However I'm not sure if poron can be cut with it. It goes up to 200 degrees celsius (392 fahrenheit).

I can't seem to find any info abot the heat properties of poron foam.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

My question is not about where to buy cones, respect this please.

You can buy cones on....
    Just kidding...

I am not sure either, but just some "ideas" on how to test it in terms of temperature before buying the hot wire cutter:

Maybe if you have a soldering iron with temperature adjustment, you can set it to 200 C (or something starting from 150 C) and test if it will easily make a hole in the poron.
    Another way would be to heat up something, like a nail or a metal wire with fire or something and measure the temperature (if you have a thermometer). Once it is within the expected range, touch the poron.
    Maybe a thin wire on a battery or something like this to heat up....
    Doing in such way, you will probably have to use some poron on the test too.
    Last edited by ronaldobf; 07-27-20, 07:30 PM.
    Ronaldo B.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldobf View Post
      You can buy cones on....
      Just kidding...

I am not sure either, but just some "ideas" on how to test it in terms of temperature before buying the hot wire cutter:

Maybe if you have a soldering iron with temperature adjustment, you can set it to 200 C (or something starting from 150 C) and test if it will easily make a hole in the poron.
      Another way would be to heat up something, like a nail or a metal wire with fire or something and measure the temperature (if you have a thermometer). Once it is within the expected range, touch the poron.
      Maybe a thin wire on a battery or something like this to heat up....
      Doing in such way, you will probably have to use some poron on the test too.
      You are absolutely right. I have a soldering station. Thanks.

Comment

Sooooo.... yes it can, but it’s not effective at cutting a smooth cone. I bought a hot wire cutter thinking I could cut out cones with it, but the poron is just a bit too dense to allow for a smooth cut without pulling the cutting wire out of alignment. Upholstery saw with a block/jig has been a better fit for me personally.
        Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
          Sooooo.... yes it can, but it’s not effective at cutting a smooth cone. I bought a hot wire cutter thinking I could cut out cones with it, but the poron is just a bit too dense to allow for a smooth cut without pulling the cutting wire out of alignment. Upholstery saw with a block/jig has been a better fit for me personally.
          Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it, what hot wire cutter did you get? Maybe it wasn't hot enough. I've seen models of up to 350 degrees celsius.
          Last edited by frankzappa; 07-28-20, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Well my soldering station goes from 150-450 degrees celsius but unfortunately I can't see what temperature it is at. All I know is that 150 won't work and 450 is like butter.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HY8PFD8..._fifiFb6T6JP1Y

Wire Temp (F): 210 to 390

Wire Temp (C): 100 to 200

It’s close at max heat, but the wire pulls just enough that you can’t get a clean and conform cut. I’m looking into whether there’s a thicker wire option that can take more heat and wire tension...
              Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

It’s close at max heat, but the wire pulls just enough that you can’t get a clean and conform cut. I’m looking into whether there’s a thicker wire option that can take more heat and wire tension...
                I've found some hot wire tables on ebay that go up to 400 degrees celsius. 200 celsius is not going to cut it (pun intended). Those 200 degree ones are for polystyrene which melts at like 60 degrees celsius.

There is a guy in UK that makes a cutting table for about 30 euro. A lot of other not too expensive options as well with the jig already made for it. I think at 300 (C) and above it will cut fast enough that there will be no tension problems considering how easily my soldering iron went through it. Also the soldering iron is thick so a thin wire should go through it like a breeze.

Comment

BTW if you already have that one, try a thinner thread for more temperature. However do so at your own risk I'm not an expert (in fact I'm an idiot don't listen to me ).

Comment

I’ll try the thinner thread idea... I also found a couple of higher powered options but it gets pricey quick. I’ll let you know if I pull the trigger and get another one.

Comment

Looking into it more, I think a hot KNIFE is the way to go. Higher temps, and solid cutting element. You can also get angle jigs for them so it may be the answer.

Comment

Looking into it more, I think a hot KNIFE is the way to go. Higher temps, and solid cutting element. You can also get angle jigs for them so it may be the answer.
                        Do you have a link or pic of what a jig for a hot knife would look like?

Of course there is always the option to 3d print a jig.

I ordered this hot wire cutting table: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-WIRE-CU...oAAOSwnDZT33o5

Goes up to 740 degrees ( 390 celsius).

There are some that already have a cone jig attachment like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Hot-Wi...UAAOSwFIVayXq6

However it's based in china and takes too long to ship. That one is rated to 750 degrees ( 400 celsius).

Edit: I see electric knifes are hotter but I think 400 degrees on the wire cutter should work well and also it's better with a thin wire because since you are slicing rounded objects it will have no problem making round cuts while a hot knife will have a large minimum radius unless you make many, many straight cuts.

However there is another problem with cutting with heat. The glue paper on the underside of the poron can't be cut with heat, or at least I don't think so.
                        Last edited by frankzappa; 07-29-20, 04:16 AM.

Comment

I ordered a hot knife with an angle cutter attachment so hopefully it’ll work. I’ll report back as soon as I test it out...

Comment

I ordered a hot knife with an angle cutter attachment so hopefully it’ll work. I’ll report back as soon as I test it out...
                            Cool. Lets hope it works. I'll post results when I get the hot wire cutter

Comment

Hey guys, hope a really dumb noob question is OK but, well fire away with the rainbows or whatever if it isn't....

Would a hot wire cutter leave sort of a hardened edge or "crust" (bad term maybe) on the outside of the edge where it made the cut? I have seen some kinds of cut foam where it that had that kind of look to it. Or would that maybe just be a sign of wire too hot or moving too slow or something? ie not what you would consider normal/expected, or not what a hot wire cutter would even do?

(I'm trying to keep foam cutting on my radar too, slowly trying to build up the DIY foo)

Thanks
                              Retro
                              Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3
                              UNCENSORED Social Media at: https://brighteon.social
                              UNCENSORED Video Sharing at: https://brighteon.com

Comment

Working...
                              X