Another bass drum trigger solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bass drum trigger solution

This shows what I've done for my bass drum A2E using a 2-Box Drumit 5 Mk2 module. The photos should explain everything better than words.

As with my snare and toms I've used 2-Box's own method with the piezo touching the head and isolated from the drum shell by soft neoprene foam. The piezo is set so it's approx 1-2mm above the shell ensuring good contact with the brass. The blue square is medium density upholstery foam.The white board it's stuck onto shows the original size of foam I used but it gave too much damping and weakened the signal from the piezo so I cut it down. The current size seems about right, gives great feel and triggering dynamics and it's also extremely quiet.

The frame is made from 15mm square aluminium tube and attaches to the shell with simple L brackets. The head is a 2-ply Z-ED. The beater head is solid plastic and a one off which my dad made.

Just thought I'd share another solution.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

i wish i was handy like some you of you guys around here.....really cool.

Comment

That's a neat way of doing it. I would prefer to have it as close to the beater as possible, maybe put just 5mm of foam between the piezo and head and place it much closer to the strike area. The reason is because every 10 cm is at least 1ms of latency. On a bass drum it's probably more. This is not a problem on modules but if you plan to trigger VST's it may send it into noticeable latency territory with an additional 2ms of latency.
      Last edited by frankzappa; 06-28-20, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Definitely not planning using anything other than my module, Frank! I’ve certainly not noticed any latency, the only thing I’m going to experiment with now is the head tension. Think I’ve probably got it a little too tight and getting one or two unintended hits when the pedal bounces back against my foot and back to the head. A bit different to playing an acoustic bass drum so some technique tweaks will be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by docadiddle View Post
          Definitely not planning using anything other than my module, Frank! I’ve certainly not noticed any latency, the only thing I’m going to experiment with now is the head tension. Think I’ve probably got it a little too tight and getting one or two unintended hits when the pedal bounces back against my foot and back to the head. A bit different to playing an acoustic bass drum so some technique tweaks will be needed.
          Yeah you won't notice an additional 2ms with a module.

Comment

Working...
          X