Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best DIY Impact Transmitter?

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but things change and we all discover newer better techniques to build e-drums. I want to know, what is the best DIY Impact Transmitter design we have between us? (because mine kind of sucks lol) I'm sure this will help others too.

First, let me give some definition to "best"
    * it should be functionally awesome, ie it just works really well without much fuss
    * it should be cheap... i mean come one this is DIY, I don't want a link to some finished product with 50x markup, eg. foam cones are $15 a piece minimum, costs get out of hand quickly when i'm trying to mod repeatedly to experiment
    * it should be easy to acquire, ideally something available locally but online is ok too

Let's see what you got and we'll see who's the winner!! Please post a picture if you can, and links to any source materials would be helpful.

Ok and here's my entry (current design that i'm not happy with), i'm using the rainbow colored foam golf balls, cut to 1 inch height, using transfer tape to adhere the ball to the piezo. It's just ok, the ball is a bit too hard so it doesn't absorb enough shock which allows the head to vibrate a bit after each strike, and retriggering is a problem. I've tried dampening the head in various ways to compensate and it's just not a good experience.

20200625_095153.jpg

Here's the specific ball i'm using:
    https://www.amazon.com/WINGKE-20pcs-...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by causticv; 06-25-20, 01:37 PM.

Here's mine:
    trigger.jpg

Two narrow columns supporting the piezo underneath its sides and a small circle on top in the centre. This method creates a 'fulcrum' effect that makes it really sensitive. Poron is the best material but anything that returns to its shape fast and doesn't compress over time does the job, like stress ball foam. I've tried countless DIY trigger setups and this is the simplest, cheapest and most effective I've made.

Comment

In my experience, the "best" might be difficult to determine. What works great for someone in one scenario might be incompatible or just as difficult to obtain in another.
      I started full low budget DIY, making my own mesh heads, cones, cymbpals, etc. Used foam, pool noodles, stress balls, eva foam, white packing foam (the one that comes in layers) and they can all work...
      I big part of it will be your expectations. Since I enjoy tinkering, had the room and time. I was more than happy to keep fixing and adjusting and I had some pretty decent results. Played the hell out of that kit, but ended up (because of chance, it was a great deal) buying a roland kit. I miss the tinkering, but I get more playing done XD.
      03.jpg10.jpg

It's a fun ride. Enjoy!

Greetings from Chile, Ignacio.
      Attached Files
      TD-25KV Kit + TD-8 Module + SPD6

Comment

Originally posted by nachosavage View Post
        In my experience, the "best" might be difficult to determine. What works great for someone in one scenario might be incompatible or just as difficult to obtain in another.
        I started full low budget DIY, making my own mesh heads, cones, cymbpals, etc. Used foam, pool noodles, stress balls, eva foam, white packing foam (the one that comes in layers) and they can all work...
        I big part of it will be your expectations. Since I enjoy tinkering, had the room and time. I was more than happy to keep fixing and adjusting and I had some pretty decent results. Played the hell out of that kit, but ended up (because of chance, it was a great deal) buying a roland kit. I miss the tinkering, but I get more playing done XD.
        03.jpg10.jpg

It's a fun ride. Enjoy!

Greetings from Chile, Ignacio.
        Hi, yeah makes sense that "best" is a loaded term. That's why i put some specific criteria. Your kit looks awesome, looks like you're using foam cones on top of the piezo, did you diy those or buy them purpose built? (and how )

Comment

I went through many iterations of them. from a simple block of foam (multiple densities while seeing what worked best with be mesh I had, that was a super bouncy light moskito net)
          01.jpg big block of foam over an old CD with the piezo underneath. there is a hole on the base for the cd to flex into

06.jpg Simple foam cube over piezo. worked wonders for me.

08.jpg same as above. de downside was the longevity of the foam. I tried the pool noodle foam at this stage, it lasted longer but it was VERY hotspoty XD (you can avoid that using a side mount like ignotus sugested)

09.jpg here I bought mesh heads and cones. got tired of fixing/replacing so often.

I guess my message is, DIY with cheap material it's cheaper (at first I would use whatever material was at hand) until things break down and you have to start redoing things. (so $ of materials + labour adds up)
          once I hit that spot, I invested a little in heads and cones and that made my life easier.
          TD-25KV Kit + TD-8 Module + SPD6

Comment

Thank you guys! It's really helpful to see what others are doing. I just came up with this... and it might be the winner, super sensitive and expressive, check it out and lemme know what you think:

You'll need the following:
            1"x2" neoprene with adhesive backing:
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-2-Neopr...wAAOSwdGFY3r~Q
            Leather Hole Punch kit:
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            3M Double Side Foam Tape
            https://www.amazon.com/3M-Natural-Po...370758&sr=8-12
            35mm Piezo (search ebay)

First use the smallest hole punch to cut out a cylinder of neoprene:
            20200628_120445.jpg

Then use 2 of the hole punches and 2 peices of foam tape to pound out a thin circle of foam tape:
            20200628_111604.jpg

Now put the foam tape on the copper side of the piezo:
            20200628_112858.jpg

Now stick the neoprene cylinder to the ceramic side:
            20200628_112936.jpg

And bam! this thing is super sensitive and does not adversly impact the performance of my drum head.

Comment

Working...
            X