Kick drum conversion advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick drum conversion advice

I'm looking to make a a2e kick drum. What are some of my options for getting the best feel and also low volume results?

Acoustic, I play a 22" . I'd like to try to make something feel similar as possible, but also quiet as possible.

I'd like to hear some opinions on shell diameter, depth. What mesh heads, and how many ply?
    What are some of the best triggering methods, internal, or how about an Aquarian kick zone?

​​​​​​I'm also interested in the Roland kd-a, or tru-trac style that mount to a regular mylar head. I watched the VDRUM TIPS video about making your own version of the Roland kda22, but it sounds like this option is the loudest.
    ​​​​
    ​​​​​​I'm leaning towards a smaller diameter like 20" or 18" with a good mult- ply mesh head and either a Aquarian kick zone or internal trigger.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!
    ​​​​​

Originally posted by Pezface78 View Post
    I'm looking to make a a2e kick drum. What are some of my options for getting the best feel and also low volume results?

Acoustic, I play a 22" . I'd like to try to make something feel similar as possible, but also quiet as possible.

I'd like to hear some opinions on shell diameter, depth. What mesh heads, and how many ply?
    What are some of the best triggering methods, internal, or how about an Aquarian kick zone?

​​​​​​I'm also interested in the Roland kd-a, or tru-trac style that mount to a regular mylar head. I watched the VDRUM TIPS video about making your own version of the Roland kda22, but it sounds like this option is the loudest.
    ​​​​
    ​​​​​​I'm leaning towards a smaller diameter like 20" or 18" with a good mult- ply mesh head and either a Aquarian kick zone or internal trigger.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!
    ​​​​​
    Why not make the vdrum tips version but use a mesh head in stead of an acoustic head? It's not going to bounce around because the weight of the KD9. You can dampen the mesh head to reduce rebound if necessary (I've found poly-fil to be great for this). You can try a one ply for low noise or a drum-tec 3ply. Experiment.

I haven't made this yet but I've been thinking about it.
    Last edited by frankzappa; 06-14-20, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Triggera Bix.

Then it doesn't matter what head, drum, size, colour, day of the week....

*** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
        Triggera Bix.

Then it doesn't matter what head, drum, size, colour, day of the week....

It's a neat idea. However won't the cables mess with the beaters ? Also with a double pedal, it seems it would be tricky to get the cables sorted.

I've been thinking about maybe trying to make a similar solution only wireless.

Comment

Originally posted by frankzappa View Post
          It's a neat idea. However won't the cables mess with the beaters ? Also with a double pedal, it seems it would be tricky to get the cables sorted.
          1. cables - no issues - see the video.

2. double? Easy. They do a left and right beater (cable exit point).
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

You can read through my testing here...
            https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...-s-a2e-project

In a nutshell, I was very use to the KD-9 (prior E-kit) feel, and wanted to incorporate it. But it just didn’t work. Look or feel wise... it didn’t fit.
            so I got an R-drum trigger, with a mesh head. In the beginning, a lot of rebound, but after some adjustments and more so getting a better feel, this set up, works quit well.

Volume wise, falls in line with expectations, based on the toms and snare. Just a bit louder.
            Last edited by Macarina; 06-14-20, 09:18 PM.

Comment

similar here.. 18" mesh kick, trigger 10 cm above beaters, shell lined with pyramid foam (it's the 'softest' attack pad now)
              for lowest noise, drum-tec design 2 ply, feels pretty 'solid' ..some other '3' plies feel too 'clothy' for my taste ..
              Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I checked out the bix beater and was very intrigued. Seems like a cool avenue to look down. I could even invest in an Rtom black hole to put on my current acoustic bass drum and use in conjunction!
                While I was visiting the Triggers site I also looked at the KRIGG. Has anyone had the chance to play them? That style trigger seems like a very quiet solution. It just seems like it would change the feel drastically not swinging an actual beater and striking a head normally.

As for trying a kd9 or diy kda22, making one out of mesh has definitely crossed my mind! What mesh pad do you think would work best as for having the lowest profile while sitting on both sides of the drum head?

Comment

1. cables - no issues - see the video.

2. double? Easy. They do a left and right beater (cable exit point).
                  I don't know, looks kind of messy to have a bunch of cables around the pedals. Not my thing. I'm sure it triggers great though. Should be the fastest and most accurate trigger. There is also the one that has a small hammer under the pedal.

Comment

I don't know, looks kind of messy to have a bunch of cables around the pedals. Not my thing. I'm sure it triggers great though. Should be the fastest and most accurate trigger. There is also the one that has a small hammer under the pedal.
                    Messy? A cable? On an ekit?

They work great, and far far far less hassle than any other add-on trigger I've ever tried.

Keep one in your gig bag
                    Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-15-20, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Messy? A cable? On an ekit?

They work great, and far far far less hassle than any other add-on trigger I've ever tried.

Keep one in your gig bag
                      Cables around pedals. I don't like to have cables around moving parts like that when I'm blasting double bass at 200bpm :P I really like the idea but really don't like the cables.

I will try to see if I can make something like that but wireless. Probably not possible but we will see :P

Comment

Cables around pedals. I don't like to have cables around moving parts like that when I'm blasting double bass at 200bpm :P I really like the idea but really don't like the cables.
                        Simple cable tie down the upright. No issues at all (see the video). And less to go wrong than wireless. It's just a simple piezo.

(like to see what you come up with, though )

Comment

Simple cable tie down the upright. No issues at all (see the video). And less to go wrong than wireless. It's just a simple piezo.

(like to see what you come up with, though )
                          Oh I'm not thinking anything that has any digital stuff inside. There are a few possibilities that may work without adding anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezface78 View Post
                            I checked out the bix beater and was very intrigued. Seems like a cool avenue to look down. I could even invest in an Rtom black hole to put on my current acoustic bass drum and use in conjunction!
                            While I was visiting the Triggers site I also looked at the KRIGG. Has anyone had the chance to play them? That style trigger seems like a very quiet solution. It just seems like it would change the feel drastically not swinging an actual beater and striking a head normally.

As for trying a kd9 or diy kda22, making one out of mesh has definitely crossed my mind! What mesh pad do you think would work best as for having the lowest profile while sitting on both sides of the drum head?
                            I have a Krigg pedal, but it's v1 and now, i believe, they upgraded some stuff around fixing, but still, i can say from the pictures, it still doesn't fit pearl eliminator and not even my new pearl p930, but from different reason. With eliminator i already smashed the bottom side of the trigger box, but its still works like the first day. You can fix it on eliminator, but time will bring some damage. With P930 modification was done in 1 minute, so i guess i finally have good kick
                            Even before that, i was thinking about buying a new one. I think its the best drum pedal on the market, especially considering price. After 20 years of playing in band with same guys, now i play regularly just for soul, 2 hours per day, so couldn't care less about "weird looking" kit, where biggest part is missing somehow and its even without beater . But, it plays beautifully and kick, is now the quietest piece of my kit

BuT hey, its 50eur, so u cant lose a lot.
                            Last edited by logihack; 06-15-20, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X