European source for cone foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European source for cone foam

Does anyone know where to buy foam to make cones in Europe? I've read soft or very soft poron (microcellular poly urethane) is recommended but I've only seen sources in the US.

I know I can get cones from R-drums but I need like 30 of them for a project I'm working on and also want to try custom sizes. That would get expensive very fast.

maybe some industrial noise foam (companies) could be useful.. should be in more countries..
    https://www.easy-noisecontrol.com/pr...foam-fireseal/
    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

There is Schaumstofffabrik in Germany.

Comment

Thanks for the links. I was hoping to find a supplier with the exact product that is proven to work well.

I have a roland cone and I've made my own cones from a similar material (marketed as similar to poron) that I bought in sweden but when I compared the waveform on my oscilloscope it was not the same. The roland had a faster peak.

The foam I have feels similar but the cells are not as small and the roland cone feels like it's bouncing back to it's shape quicker after deforming.

This foam I have would probably work because within a scan time of 2ms I'd get a peak but I want to find something that will give me a distinct peak.

I also tried a silicone foam which was better than the roland cone in terms of producing a very nice, distinct peak because silicone seems to bounce back much quicker but since the density of it is higher, the peak is almost 1ms delayed compared to the roland cone. For instance if I put a roland cone and the silicone cone 10cm apart and hit the mesh head directly where the silicone cone is I get a peak exactly the same as the roland but if I hit directly where the roland cone is, it is almost 1ms before the silicone cone peak.

Comment

I saw somebody at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2921879 which 3D printed his own Trigger cones...using ninjaflex filament....I have made a couple of these but they are a bit too hard for my purposes...but I have not played around with infills etc to make them a bit more soft.

otherwise 682drums.com have cones

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
          Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3,5,5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

it's pretty tough finding the right stuff.. rigid enough for a good spike, but 'soft' enough for some dampening,
            ..but you all know this..
            Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
              I saw somebody at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2921879 which 3D printed his own Trigger cones...using ninjaflex filament....I have made a couple of these but they are a bit too hard for my purposes...but I have not played around with infills etc to make them a bit more soft.

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
              Cool, it will be hard findng good filaments for that. There are filaments that expand into foam depending on the temperature and you can control the density by using different temperatures.

I have made a 3d printed mould that I can make cones with. I have some expanding foam resin (you put in two parts and within a minute it expands into foam and stiffens in 2 hours. It's used to make foam props for movies, cosplay and whatnot. Different densities are available. However I only have 4lb density at the moment which will be too low. I believe the poron stuff that everyone uses is 15lb. I haven't tested it yet, will do today.

Basically the bounciness or how quick the foam jumps back to it's original shape is what's important and the density and stiffness decides how sensitive it will be. Too sensitive and you get a good strong signal but you risk damaging the piezo.
              Last edited by frankzappa; 06-07-20, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Check here (#113), I post the name of a company who has sent me two sheets of poron foam in France.
                Last edited by Sylv1co; 06-07-20, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks sylvico

Comment

BB179F2A-2BC5-4A54-A7FA-3AAC68624B24.jpeg

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
                    Here is my attempt at 3d printed foam cones:

7A9C7EDB-FBF0-4F0E-A303-2B5F8875CB33.jpeg

These are 3d printed molds with expanding foam. Looks good but unfortunately the wrong type of foam.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice! Is this the 15lb test?

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
                      Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3,5,5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Nice! Is this the 15lb test?

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
                        No, it was the 4lbs one I had left over from a prop making project. However I think cones can't be made this way, the density changes depending on the geometry. It's much harder on top where the tip is because the foam had more resistance when it was expanding. Probably why roland still make cones the way they do.

Basically it won't compress uniformly. It will look sort of like a witch hat from harry potter when you compress it. Is sort of wrinkles up. I didn't bother testing it under the oscilloscope.

330px-WikiWitch_Black.png
                        Last edited by frankzappa; 06-07-20, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know the melting temperature of poron? Can it be cut with a hot wire cutter?

Comment

Few years ago, I bought some cones from quartz percussion. I would say that they have been cut with hot wire, but I could be wrong, it's maybe with a foam cutter. I can post some pics of one of those cones this evening if it could help. Or maybe Sylvain (the one from Quartz) is maybe still around there and can answer himself...
                            Knowing the melting temperature should be tricky, I guess you already read the technical sheet of the poron foam ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylv1co View Post
                              Few years ago, I bought some cones from quartz percussion. I would say that they have been cut with hot wire, but I could be wrong, it's maybe with a foam cutter. I can post some pics of one of those cones this evening if it could help. Or maybe Sylvain (the one from Quartz) is maybe still around there and can answer himself...
                              Knowing the melting temperature should be tricky, I guess you already read the technical sheet of the poron foam ?
                              Thanks.

Yes, working temperature is up to 90 degrees celsius and up to 125 intermittently. It says something about flammability but it's in mm and inches which I don't really understand.

I've looked as some hot wire cutters and they range from 200-350 degrees celsius. I'm betting 200 won't cut it (pun intended).
                              Last edited by frankzappa; 06-12-20, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X