Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2E advice please!

Hi all,

So as you may have seen from another thread, I sold a TD-11 setup and after very nearly buying a TD27, I instead went down the A2E route (UK-based). I now have on my Pearl acoustic rock kit the following:
    • Pearl Mimic Pro (1.0.9)
    • Remo Silentstroke skins
    • Triggera Ontrigg external triggers
    • Triggera Bix kick trigger
    I've got Magnatrack cymbal triggers on their way for my LV cymbals which will complete the setup.

Despite reading the manual a few times and tweaking and tweaking, I cannot get a good response. It seems I need the Gain set incredibly high (14/15 miminum) on all the drums to get close to picking up soft strikes and then I seem to get some dubious sounds out of the module (sort of machine-gunning). I've noticed that on the snare, if I hit centre it's much quieter than hitting on the edge - and I don't mean the edge near the trigger, I mean the edge at the 6 o'clock position on the drum (trigger at 11 o'clock). I can't get a cross-stick sound without getting the full snare sound with it. For the kick, I've had to resort to having significant stuffing pressing up against the batter head to get a good response and I'm now happy enough with the bass response.

Reading around, I wonder if I'm struggling so much because of the skin type? The Remos are very bouncy and even though I've got them quite tight, I wonder if these are the source of my triggering issues? So:
    1. Has anyone got any experience of using external triggers with remo skins or equivalent?
    2. Will I be better off using something like the Drum-Tec Real Feel heads?
    3. Can you use rubber trim with external triggers to help reduce the rimshot noise?
    Lots of questions, I know. I have tried looking through here for answers, but couldn't find the right ones. Picture included to give you some idea of setup. Thanks in advance!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I had a lot of problems using internal triggers in the edge with Pearl Muffleheads which I don't know if they are similar like the Silenstroke because both are thin.

So, I started using DIY internal mount triggers in the center except the Kick is between the center and the edge and I got perfect response with minimal tweaks.
    Last edited by Ginnungagap; 06-01-20, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I think the muffle heads are quite similar but would like some other's input on experiences with other mesh heads and external triggers.

I discovered that only one of my triggers was secured to the hoop properly (the others had the gripper too high) so I had to completely loosen the heads, attach the triggers and then tighten the heads (but not as much as before). This has definitely improved things.

I'd like some opinions on the real feel heads and if they are worth the expense compared to the silent stroke.

Also, is anyone using rubber trim with external triggers?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by toonarmy View Post
        Also, is anyone using rubber trim with external triggers?
        i have a center cone and a RT30HR.. because i wanted more range on snare (never mind) but i just cut out 2,5 cm out of the rim
        and glued it back on the hoop.. it was the only way i could get it seated like i wanted.. silent strokes that's not drumming thats
        playing tennis (just kidding) but with your sizes, 2 ply design or 3 ply would get a better signal.. although with a 13" i moved a
        side trigger closer to the center (now 3 cm from the edge) and that made a difference too.. it depends how 'hot' the piezo's are..

Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Yeah, I'm starting to think that real feel heads are my best bet. I got the remo skins a while back just to be able to practise on the acoustic while I still had an e-kit, but they really are mega bouncy which logically makes them a poor choice for triggers.

Comment

I used single ply bouncy heads on a drum I made and found I had to really damp it to stop double triggers. This was a side mount trigger. I had foam touching the head from inside all way round the edge which fixed it. It was impossible to get it triggering correctly without it. So yes I would say your problem is the silent strokes
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I've just had the weirdest response from drum-tec. I asked them when they were getting stock of the real feel rock pack in and they asked what the setup was. I told them and they came back with:
              "Ok but if you already play one of the most sensitive materials on the mesh head market the problem couldnīt be the mesh heads. I def. think that the real feel or design mesh heads didnīt help you out. The problem are the Ontrigg which arenīt really working properly."

I find this bizarre! Apart from not answering the simple question, they seem to suggest that the bouncier the better, which would question why they don't make their heads like that then! Also, I think it's a bit unprofessional to criticise someone else's product as being at fault. Baffling.

Comment

ok.. it can be multiple things.. do you get enough 'pulse' through the (silent stroke) mesh toward your trigger,
                does it not cause too much 'signal noise' because of vibration, are your piezo's 'hot' (sensitive) enough for your drum sizes,
                for ex. i had a problem above 14" with side triggers at that position, in getting a good signal, the cause was the clamp on
                trigger position was 'too far' from center drum, and the piezo's were too 'weak' to get it playing satisfactory..
                if i would also use single ply silent strokes, that would be 'stacking' problems.. imo, for toms those triggers might work,
                but for snare those triggers don't look 'optimal' in trying to get all the sounds you want ..
                Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                  ok.. it can be multiple things.. do you get enough 'pulse' through the (silent stroke) mesh toward your trigger,
                  does it not cause too much 'signal noise' because of vibration, are your piezo's 'hot' (sensitive) enough for your drum sizes,
                  for ex. i had a problem above 14" with side triggers at that position, in getting a good signal, the cause was the clamp on
                  trigger position was 'too far' from center drum, and the piezo's were too 'weak' to get it playing satisfactory..
                  if i would also use single ply silent strokes, that would be 'stacking' problems.. imo, for toms those triggers might work,
                  but for snare those triggers don't look 'optimal' in trying to get all the sounds you want ..
                  Not sure what some of your points are at the start but I have triggering issues on 12", 13", 14" shells. The 16" floor tom seems more or less OK.

No idea what you mean by 'stacking' problems.

Why do you say the triggers 'might' work for toms but not be 'optimal' for the snare?

Comment

'stacking problems' is when there's more than 1 issue.. so, more people can be right (including drum-tec) if you have a good dynamic range
                    on 16 and not on 12,13,14 that seems to say your piezo's are 'hot' enough to register all of your hits.. but i can't be sure like this..
                    you say you have a cross stick sound and a snare sound both.. what i mean is, trying to play all snare sounds from a mimic with a clamped
                    on trigger on a 14" snare.. i don't know.. it doesn't seem to do a mimic justice this way.. imo, it would be hard to get good separation and
                    triggering from all (possible) sounds.. if i owned a mimic (which i don't) i would at least use a separate dedicated 13 or 14 snare, with either
                    built in side/ rim trigger or multi trigger.. or this could be just trigger settings, maybe somebody who owns a mimic can help you out ..

Comment

There are other options besides drum-tec real feel. Check out 682drums.com for 2ply and billiy blast drums for three ply. I would pick one size and get one of each and see which one works best. That would at least narrow down one issue.
                      Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

682 drums make 3 plys now . If acoustic noise level is not an issue Billy Blasts 3 plys are very realistic feeling but loud. 682 drums in digital drummer says that their new 3plys both black and white are the quietest out there

Comment

they have that weird buzz sound though from the 3rd layer
                          Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Winterson are you saying the 682 triple plys have a buzzing sound? Or the billy blasts?

Comment

3 ply heads do not seem ideal for side mounted triggers so good 2 ply seems the best way forward for me. I'm UK based so location of the sellers is a factor with shipping etc . Drum tec design is probably where I'm going to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X