No announcement yet.

An “Open” Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never thought finding a 13.3” touchscreen monitor with USB-C so I can power it, send video and get touch in one cable would be so hard. Right now finding a monitor to work with this is really holding me up.

Suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Mylo; 05-22-20, 03:12 PM.
    PDP Concept Maple A2E wrapped with Bum Wraps; Jobeky AI dual-zone triggers; drum-tec Real Feel and Billy Blast Ballistech 3.0 mesh heads; Jobeky and Field cymbals; Gibralter hardware; Offset double pedal; DW Remote hi-hat stands; Yamaha FC7; four eDRUMin devices; SD3; Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen; Windows laptop

Comment

Mylo this is the 2nd time I have seen touchscreen monitor mentioned and it is making me think about this now.... (my gears are slow to turn....)

But I am prolly going to start looking into these as well, it could solve a problem for me. Are you pretty set on 13.3" size? Will try to keep an eye out when looking around.
      My Diamond E-Drums Kit | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Superior Drummer 3 + Hansa | Reaper x64 DAW

Comment

My thought process on this is just how big can the “module“ get before people start feeling the pain of “man how am I going to fit that in my rack” and how small it can be before it is too hard to use a VST. I haven’t looked at every module out there but I think the TD-50 is one of the bigger ones at 13” x 10” x 4.6”. I felt the TD-50 would be a good target for size.

A 13.3” is a good balance of not too big and not too small. I recently fell in love with and bought the HDPlex H3 V3 fanless case. It is 320mm wide so fits really well with a 13.3” monitor.

Now I found several nice looking 15.6” monitors out there but right now I’m considering them too big.

I’m still not sure how well something like SD3 will work with touchscreen but I really, really want to avoid having a keyboard. Keyboard is bad.

Update: I just ordered an Eyoyo 13.3” touchscreen from Amazon. I feel this is just an OEM sold by several Amazon store fronts but it may work for this project. I’m still open to other ideas so if you see something please keep me posted if you don’t mind.
        Last edited by Mylo; 05-22-20, 05:35 PM.
        PDP Concept Maple A2E wrapped with Bum Wraps; Jobeky AI dual-zone triggers; drum-tec Real Feel and Billy Blast Ballistech 3.0 mesh heads; Jobeky and Field cymbals; Gibralter hardware; Offset double pedal; DW Remote hi-hat stands; Yamaha FC7; four eDRUMin devices; SD3; Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen; Windows laptop

Comment

Thanks Mylo - good info and it makes sense. Ha, I ended up starting looking through Amazon also, funny how they always show up at top of search results. Didn't make it to the 13.3" yet though, cool!

I do think this is a really great idea, this whole concept. Admittedly I'm thinking at least for now of adding (yet another) monitor to my DAW rig - the touchscreen, to solve problem of not having computer nearby with mouse keyboard etc. and avoid having to have those there.

But the idea of a small/compact "open" module you run whatever VST you want on it, is pretty swanky.
          Last edited by RetroRambler; 05-22-20, 06:43 PM.
          My Diamond E-Drums Kit | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Superior Drummer 3 + Hansa | Reaper x64 DAW

Comment

LOL it is a shame Gibraltar doesn't make a VESA mount of some kind. THAT would be awesome.

"Hey Brent - we need a GC-VESA clamp!"

Comment

LOL. With a swing arm.

Comment

I am using one of these holders in my drumset with Microsoft Surface Pro 7, 12” touch: K&M 19740
                Last edited by angr77; 05-23-20, 05:33 PM.
                Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3,5,5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
                  I am using one of these holders in my drumset with Microsoft Surface Pro 7, 12” touch:]K&M 19040[/URL]
                  You mean a K&M 19740, i think.

Comment

A guy built something like what you describe years ago but using a Megadrum:

Comment

Windows XP! Wow that was some time back. Pretty slick. I’m baffled as to why something like this isn’t more popular. Maybe it would be too easy to replicate as a DIY so there is no way to make a product that could be commercialized enough.

Comment

Why something like this isn't more popular... good question. Sometimes the reason products don't do well is more about the company than the demand.

I think I might have that vid bookmarked, I remember seeing it while I was searching on Megadrum a while back. I didn't say anything though because this is a really neat discussion that could help set some people free....

I am not even an apple person (PC bigot) but the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was "jailbreak", people running whatever VST they want to on a small gadget with a touchscreen.

Comment

Maybe not exactly helpful depending on what size/type of display people choose, but was best option I could find for a tilt/swivel/rotate VESA 75/100 monitor mount that will attach to 1.5" diameter rack tubing. $28 on ebay shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pole-Mount-...k/324147203043

Have one coming, will report how it works out.

Comment

So what’s the thought on this? Mount the touchscreen to the rack and have cables going back to the computer so you can control the VST from the set? Pictures please.

Comment

Hi Mylo!

My use case will be a little different than what is being discussed here, I have old tired eyes and will need a bigger display, so what I'm going to be doing is mounting the display to a vertical in back left corner of my rack - but yep - exactly otherwise what you suspected - will send the display cable to the PC and the USB cable for control to USB hub.

Also ordered an SC-GPR435 43.5" straight vertical to replace the 20" vertical with, this should be just about perfect for height of throne and getting monitor right around eye level.

I have a couple general pics of the rack in progress (not ready yet) (in my kit link in sig), would it be better to wait til I have rest set up to include a pic here?

Cheers,
                              RetroRambler

Comment

Sounds cool. I forget you are building yours up right now, I’m following that thread for goodness sakes. Old age.

I’m always looking for ideas. If I fail miserably trying to attach a monitor to my project module like I want I will need a plan B.

Comment

Working...
                                X