DIY Trigger Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Trigger Project

Thanks to COVID-19 house arrest, I’ve finally gotten around to building a 3-cone trigger...

Pretty standard fare at this point. 3-cone design using R-Drums piezos, cones, decouplers, brackets, and air vent cable. I ordered a 1/16th thickness aluminum “donut” from MetalsCut4U.com. Neutrik locking jack, misc M4 hardware and various screws from the local hardware store, and some 24 gauge wire from Amazon. Parts list - check

Measure everything out, drill donut, place decouplers, piezos, and cones, route and extend wiring, solder to jack, attach brackets and mount in donor 14” snare shell. Add mesh heads top and bottom and rim silencer to batter side. Assembly - check

Connected to eDRUMin and set up as a Mesh Side Piezo pad type. After initial configuration and a quick velocity curve tweak to go with my play style I’m happy to report that it’s a complete success. Also, it’s a tad more sensitive than my ATV trigger snare - which I honestly feel is a good thing. Even with a 3-ply head, it’s perfectly balanced and picks up all of the subtle ghost notes, sidesticking, and rolls.

It’s still not better than the Roland digital snare, but it’s damn good in my opinion and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it as a primary snare with a Mimic and/or other non-digital setup.

More pics and a quick video to be posted soon.

F7B07000-F867-47C2-B43C-2829F9B6E7F7.jpeg

65441AEB-E39E-4FA4-BBB7-AD61DE30FB35.jpeg
    Last edited by rdubu; 04-07-20, 10:51 PM.
    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Looks pretty good. Definitely have to give it a shot myself at some point for the toms.
    Did you go with parallel or serial wiring?

Comment

Very clean design.

The holes are usually pretty sharp which can cause damages to the cables. I bet you know.

Will you use s.th. like this https://www.conrad.de/de/p/hellerman...st-544461.html

or how you plan to solve it?

Cheers, Frank

Former ddrum4 User, currently setting up new edrum Set with Millenium low-noise Cymbals with stealth conversion, Modules edrumin & drumit five, VST SD3

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
        Looks pretty good. Definitely have to give it a shot myself at some point for the toms.
        Did you go with parallel or serial wiring?
        Parallel for the head and rim piezos. Turns out that’s how ATV and everyone else is doing it as well. Basically all brass connections wire to sleeve, ceramic on head piezos to tip, and ceramic on rim piezos to ring.
        Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by Dewaaachner View Post
          Very clean design.

The holes are usually pretty sharp which can cause damages to the cables. I bet you know.

Will you use s.th. like this https://www.conrad.de/de/p/hellerman...st-544461.html

or how you plan to solve it?

Cheers, Frank
          I deburred the edges, but when I do a v2 I’ll see about using small gaskets for the cable routing holes. For now there’s enough slack in the wiring and it’s all taped down on the back side to make sure things don’t shift around during play.

Certainly a good point though and something to consider for the next iteration.

Comment

Nice build! I’ve got parts to put together a new trigger design during quarantine. My newborn and kids keep getting juncture way though.

Comment

Where have you found the brackets and how much they can be adjusted? They are really good.

EDIT: I have just seen they come from R-Drums
              Last edited by thedrummer101; 04-09-20, 06:15 PM.

Comment

UPDATE

v2 officially finished today...

Improvements:

- Added 4th rim piezo for enhanced rim sensitivity.
                - Moved rim piezos to underside of aluminum ring.
                - Upgraded to 1/8th thick aluminum ring for additional rigidity.
                - Tightened up wiring layout.
                - Added project box to protect jack solder points.
                - Added rubber gaskets for all pass thru wiring.

Thoughts:

Its a much better design and I’m far happier with the overall build quality. I still have a couple of improvements that I’m going to implement on my 13” version, but it’s definitely close to what I’d consider perfect. My goal was to build a trigger that had the same build quality of my R-Drums triggers, but used a multi-piezo layout like ATV and the new Roland VAD pads. I feel like it’s definitely there at this point sans a couple of things that I still think I can improve on with v3.

2D8C04D7-B3D5-458D-B3CE-1F0851C67512.jpeg

14B0E7EA-11A2-4FD7-A50A-996BF0E5A8CF.jpeg

AD403994-0306-44BE-9551-BD99BF3F0593.jpeg

BE756414-7FF3-4AED-A3E0-66B22B9078BC.jpeg

F4E86A7A-4DAD-473C-83E7-D82D587B3112.jpeg

Comment

With the eDrumin, do you feel that the loss of positional detection over eliminating hot spotting is a worthy trade?

Comment

[QUOTE=rdubu;n1229238]UPDATE

v2 officially finished today...

Cool!

Very clean design
                    Former ddrum4 User, currently setting up new edrum Set with Millenium low-noise Cymbals with stealth conversion, Modules edrumin & drumit five, VST SD3

Comment

Originally posted by mrantarctica View Post
                      With the eDrumin, do you feel that the loss of positional detection over eliminating hot spotting is a worthy trade?
                      Given that I‘m using this trigger for a side snare, no. Not at all. My main snare uses the Roland 140DS trigger, which is hands down the best trigger system out there. PS and no hotspotting... But for accents and a different tone on a snare, I think this is excellent.

Comment

gorgeous job
                        Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

beautiful
                          Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

rdubu - can you post a pic of the snare from the outside? i know true beauty is on the inside (as you’ve shown) - just curious to see the outside as well
                            Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

darn impressive rdubu
                              Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3
                              UNCENSORED Social Media at: https://brighteon.social
                              UNCENSORED Video Sharing at: https://brighteon.com

Comment

Working...
                              X