X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewaaachner A2E

Hi,

started my A2E yesterday.
    Basis is a used PDP-Set which I'm going to veneer.
    Sizes are 10, 2x12, 14, 20 Snare is 13 inch.

I decided to glue the veneer with "Pattex Gel Compact".

I'm satisfied with the first try. However, you have to apply high force for proper veneering.
    I'm afraid, if it comes to the 20" BD, my right arm will fall off.

Cheers, Frank

Former ddrum4 User, currently setting up new edrum Set with Millenium low-noise Cymbals with stealth conversion, Modules edrumin & drumit five, VST SD3

Very interested to see how it will turn out, Frank

Comment

Yes Stef, me too. At least I know which kind of foam I need to order to dampen the BD.
      Former ddrum4 User, currently setting up new edrum Set with Millenium low-noise Cymbals with stealth conversion, Modules edrumin & drumit five, VST SD3

Comment

Happy to help!

Comment

Dude... if I only had a decent workshop and the balls to DIY my own shells... Love the veneer approach vs a wrap, although yeah, it’s certainly daunting considering the amount of consistent pressure you need to get everything to adhere properly.

Anyway, looks great so far and good luck with the build. Keep the thread going and let us know when you cross over into the assembly.
          Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

that's going to look pretty neat, once finished.. i wanted to veneer at one time, but ended up 'oiling' sanded shells.. looks pretty cool too,
            but you can't go 'beyond' wood finishes.. i should have thought of elastic bands (with the hooks) ..but i had already oiled them..

Comment

What do you mean with "elastic bands"?

And yes, an own Garage or room to do the stuff helps a lot. I'm glad, that I have it (and a wife who is a singer. Makes it a lot easier when I hide in the Garage for DIY).

Comment

I started out with something like that. The wood in my drums was very bad quality, and very soft (softer than the glue that was used to stick the original wrapping. Sanding it was hell. I wanted to go for oiling, but the shells looked awful, so i ended up with a new wrap. Making every part yourself is the Kick of DIY-ing.
                Any idea on triggers yet?

I realize it's about time to post some updated pictures of my own kit.
                Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Triggers planned:

For the BD I will try the drum-tec like Design.

Snare will be center mount. I try to replace the metal snare bottom head by a metal plate and use the Trigger plate (the smaller top Level plate in CenterMount). If this would be to hot for the Rim Trigger I can use the internal Design (completely as shown in picture CenterMount).

Toms will be side mounted between to lugs towards the player (picture SideMount).

Comment

Originally posted by Dewaaachner View Post
                    What do you mean with "elastic bands"?
                    something like this https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hook...-101337707.jpg i didn't have 'clamps' so, i could have used those things..
                    nice (quality) triggers, btw .. but really snare center mount ?

Comment

I want to try center mount with edrumin & SD3.
                      However, if it's not satisfying I can easily switch for side mount. However, the comments about this little powerfull module sound promising to me

The Trigger Plates were Laser-cut years ago. There's a shop nearby which offers this...

But when I got divorced I had to fix other things. Now, time is right to enjoy building again.

Comment

nice job Dewaachner !

Comment

The contact glue smells like hell... too much solvent
                          It needs to dry for 15 min.
                          When the veneer is positioned, I need to be very careful. Even if it's not pressed hard to the shell, if both parts get in contact, it cannot be corrected anymore. I use wire and a clamp as a little helper.

Joints get better. 2 pictures show first Tom and third one.

Cheers, Frank

Comment

Looks great. Right now I'm also doing an a2e conversion. But I build all triggers center mount. Works fine. I just finished my first crash. But I just wrapped my shells
                            Working on my A2E Setup, Module is Roland TD 12

Comment

Preparation for veneering the bigger shells tomorrow.
                              Found a construction to apply constant pressure (not by hand).

It's stable, but I better wear safety shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X