Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting A Roland TD-17 KVX In Old Tama Shells

Hey guys,

I currently have a project I’m needing advice on. I had an old Tama Superstar kit lying around and got a Roland TD-17 KVX at a steal over Black Friday.

I bought some Evans mesh heads as well. My question is, is it possible to strip components from the TD-17 KVX and fit them to the Tama kit?

If so, does anyone have advice or a guide to share?

Thanks in advance.

T

Originally posted by ThomasHillJr View Post
    Hey guys,

I currently have a project I’m needing advice on. I had an old Tama Superstar kit lying around and got a Roland TD-17 KVX at a steal over Black Friday.

I bought some Evans mesh heads as well. My question is, is it possible to strip components from the TD-17 KVX and fit them to the Tama kit?

If so, does anyone have advice or a guide to share?

Thanks in advance.

T
    You mean is it possible to take the triggers from the Roland pads and use them in the Tama shells? I suppose in the sense that anything is possible, it could probably be done, but not easily or practically, IMO. You'd have to pretty much destroy the Roland pads in order to scavenge the triggers, and you'd still need various spare parts to make it work (e.g., angle brackets to mount them, new 1/4" jacks spliced in to plug into, etc.). It would be far easier just to buy a trigger kit, any number of which will cost less than what you could sell each of those Roland pads for.

Comment

Just use the Roland pads.

And have a happier Xmas
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

IMO it's kind of a shame to use a nice Superstar to use some triggers ... But it will be classy

Using the triggers of the TD17 pads is not interesting, you will almost destroy the pads. Sell them and buy/build triggers instead.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumatiC View Post
          Sell them and buy/build triggers instead.
          Exactly, if you sell the TD-17KVX and buy some triggers, you'll have plenty of money leftover for a module (and then some).

I suppose you could keep the TD-17 module and just sell the pads, but it would almost certainly be easier to sell the full kit than to part it out, and then pick up another TD-17 module used for $500 or so.

EDIT: Although I suppose you'd also have to re-buy cymbals if you sold the whole kit, so it might make more sense just to keep the module and cymbals you already have, and them just sell the PDX-12, KD-10, and three PDX-8s on Reverb or eBay or something. You'd probably end up stuck with the rack, and I don't know how much demand there is for those pads on their own (at least the PDX-8s).
          Last edited by MJB; 12-25-19, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I agree with MJB.
            Keep the module & cymbals.

When I bought a TD-17KVX, it was to add and swap pieces with a TD-20 set.

Because I already own enough large pads, I sold both of the 8" toms, the TD17's snare, cymbal hardware, the rack, one of the 12" cymbals & made 75% of the money back that I paid for the entire TD-17KVX.
            Having all those pieces in new, never played condition helped a lot on ebay, I bet.

I suggest you sell the unusable, (to you), pieces and buy new, adjustable trigger setups. Save the headaches for other things.

If you don't plan on gigging, the TD-17 is a good module, especially if you're going to get into VST's like SD3.

I also seriously suggest that you sell the Evans mesh heads and buy Drum-tec Real Feel heads. You really won't regret it.

Comment

Be careful recommending the td17 for SD3 as it doesn’t have positional sensing which SD3 makes use of for more realism. It will work but just misses this feature
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

You're right, but that's what he bought and it works fine for me.
                Some people don't care about PS.

Comment

Yeah true for this user who already has it. I mentioned it for anyone else reading in case it did matter to them. Cheers
                  Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                  X