Newbie trying to rescue Roland TD6 module for my kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie trying to rescue Roland TD6 module for my kid

i have a Roland set that I picked up cheap and want to fix it for my kid.
    TD6 (not 6v) everything works except the hihat only plays closed. He’s a beginner so probably not a big deal but I want it right.

i have played with various cables, swapped pads taken the pedal apart and no joy. I suspect it’s a bad input on the TD6 module.

Im pretty good with electronic troubleshooting and soldering and I’d like to replace the hi-hat inputs(2) but don’t know where to find the parts. There is even a YouTube showing the procedure.

Anyone have a source or the specs one what/where to get a couple of thsee?

thanks.
    john

Which hat controller? FD8?
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

If you unplug the controller then you should get an open hi hat sound. Is it still closed with the pedal unplugged from the back of the module?
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

In my experience, hihat control issues are most likely due to a faulty controller, not the module. After you've ruled that out, it could be the solder connection inside the hihat input assuming for example that someone once tripped on the hi hat cable and yanked the hi hat input connection.
        Last edited by jpsquared482; 12-03-19, 08:28 AM.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Thanks. I have an FD6 and an FD7. The FD6 functions only the closed hat and if you kick the pedal it plays a closed splash. Sorry, not a drummer so don’t know the term. If I let off of the pedal, no sound.

Also have an FD7 that a bought supposedly working but no sound whatsoever, even after changing out the strip in the pedal It does make a brief splash sound when I insert the cable into the pedal

Ive tried swapping pads and cables between other cymbals and pads but nothing changes. Pd6, Pd7, etc.

one thing confuses me. I got a rats nest of cables with this set and managed to get it all working. The manual is unclear about the cables to use, I assume that any pad with two sensors- snare, cymbals etc, take a dual cable. ( two black rings). Some of the cables have only one. Does the pedal take one of those or the two rings?

Id like nothing better than to avoid taking the module apart but if I do, is there a source for replacement inputs? Or what they are called even?

THANKS,

JOHN

TH

Comment

I had a HH issue and doing a system reset fixed it. But it’s a TD-11. Not sure if you have a reset on yours but if you do, I’d do that.

Comment

Done the resets more than once but good suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmactech View Post
                Thanks. I have an FD6 and an FD7. The FD6 functions only the closed hat and if you kick the pedal it plays a closed splash. Sorry, not a drummer so don’t know the term. If I let off of the pedal, no sound.

Also have an FD7 that a bought supposedly working but no sound whatsoever, even after changing out the strip in the pedal It does make a brief splash sound when I insert the cable into the pedal

Ive tried swapping pads and cables between other cymbals and pads but nothing changes. Pd6, Pd7, etc.

one thing confuses me. I got a rats nest of cables with this set and managed to get it all working. The manual is unclear about the cables to use, I assume that any pad with two sensors- snare, cymbals etc, take a dual cable. ( two black rings). Some of the cables have only one. Does the pedal take one of those or the two rings?

Id like nothing better than to avoid taking the module apart but if I do, is there a source for replacement inputs? Or what they are called even?

THANKS,

JOHN

TH
                The hi hat pedal only needs a mono cable as it's only "transmitting" resistance between the two leads.

It's possible that you have two faulty hi hat pedals. Those are both quite old. Are you able to borrow a newer one from a friend? I'd do that before opening up the module.

If you do end up opening up the module, you probably won't need a new input jack. I fixed an old TD7 module once. All I had to do was touch up the solder connection inside the module case right were the jack was soldered to the printed circuit board. That solder joint was cracked, definitely from it being yanked. A quick touch with the soldering iron and it was done. It was a quick and easy fix.
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Thanks, I will try the mono cable. Oddly the manual says nothing.
                  Agreed, if it’s an input, likely just loose or bad solder joint. Seem as if it would be intermittent though.
                  thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmactech View Post
                    The FD6 functions only the closed hat and if you kick the pedal it plays a closed splash. Sorry, not a drummer so don’t know the term. If I let off of the pedal, no sound...
                    Well, from this description, it sounds to me that the FD-6 is working normally. The only sounds that it makes by itself is a "chick" sound when you step on the pedal and a "splash" sound when you kick the pedal. It doesn't make any other sounds.

The big question is how does the hi-hat cymbal respond when you hit it with a stick while moving the pedal at the same time? Also, are you sure you are hitting the correct cymbal? You should be striking the pad that is plugged into the "HI-HAT" input jack while moving the pedal which is plugged into the "HH CTRL" input jack.

Finally, I know this isn't obvious, but the module calibrates the "fully open" position of the pedal when you turn it on. So, if your foot is on the pedal during power on, the hi-hat won't work well.. So, turn off the module, take your foot off the pedal, then turn the module back on. Do not put your foot back on the pedal until the module is completely powered up!

-SD-
                    Last edited by SiliconDrummer; 12-05-19, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

In reverse order, I’m not touching the pedal when I turn it on.

DOuble checked the connections with the manual. 100% correct.

When I hit the hihat with no foot on the pedal there is no sound. When lightly press the pedal I get a “chick”sound like a “real” hat would make just closing. With the hihat closed. It sounds like a closed hi hat if I hit the hat pad with a stick, but not on the edge.

”kicking” the pedal does not effect to “closed” sound.

ill play around with it over the weekend and possibly look for a bad solder joint.

My other pedal is an FD-8, makes no sound whatsoever (except when I plug the cable in and it makes a brief splash.” Replaced the sensor, still nothing.

Comment

Unplug the pedal and leave the hh-ctrl jack empty -- nothing plugged in. Then, hit the hi-hat pad. What kind of sound does it make?

Also, try assigning a hi-hat sound to one of your other pads. All of the hi-hat sounds are controllable by the pedal regardless of which jack you use and which pad you use.

Btw, what kind of pad are you using for your hi-hat? Have you tried plugging a different pad into the hi-hat input? Likewise, have you tried that hi-hat pad on another input?

-SD-
                        Last edited by SiliconDrummer; 12-06-19, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X