X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreasyBumpkin
    replied
    Hi Guss, thanks for your comment

This thread has been of a big help for me, just swapping out the interface for a Zoom was a huge difference in latency and giving me MIDI comms between my two laptops.

At heart, I am a tweaker as mentioned before, I can dial in my own synths and craft Guitar effect chains from scratch, that's my thing, so it was a surprise to me that I was struggling to take to Megadrum with the same ease.

Learning the electrical stuff has been interesting, and has given me confidence to transfer it onto other items like speakers and pedals. It's good to hear that I've joined the MD ranks with more modern firmware, I am still trying to make it work, and will probably buy an edrumin in addition for the triggers not on the main rack (snare, floor toms, kicks.)

Leave a comment:

• Russ15
    replied
    I'll chime in... I originally built my Megadrum from scratch back in 2011, very challenging but rewarding. Unfortunately I could never get it to configure the way I wanted it.

I have a friend who had a td-6 and had no issues running his VST with basically no change to the configuration which made me really want a plug and play solution. So what did I do? I bought a newer Megadrum built by Dmitri convinced I would get it right this time.

The new version that Dmitri has put out has come a long way since I made my own, much faster and the current firmware really put to bed a lot of the issues I had before. The reason I bought another Megadrum and not a Roland module was simply the flexibility and number of inputs. I have a 5 piece kit and 3 cymbals currently and can still hook up something like 26 more pad/cymbals/anything with a piezo or switch.

Now as far as the configuration, yes you have to be willing to study the Megadrum configuration page and really understand how and what your changes to do. At this point I can set up a DIY built kit in a weekend; with prebuilt pads from Roland etc this would be much faster. The forum is also a great place to get feedback (Dmitri will literally write a firmware update to fix something for you if need be) and angr77 has taken the time to put together a helpful database of configurations you can load right into Medgadrum Manager FX and push to your module.

I think the real question you have to ask yourself is what kind of flexibility do you need in your kit and are you willing to take time to learn how Megadrum works? If you want plug and play out of the gate I'd say Megadrum probably isn't for you, but from a price perspective coupled with the flexibility I don't think there is a better option out there.

eDrumin sounds pretty cool (especially the UI) and viable for many people if it can be expanded to multiple inputs in the future.

In any regard I can say that in over 9 years there has been a lot of progression in the right direction in edrums.

Leave a comment:

• dsteinschneider
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddie Halen View Post
    I had an issue with the latest behringer driver on win10 64bit. Went back one reveision and its ROCK steady.
    I tried the newer driver dated 3/4/2019 (I think it was v4.59) and had some issues with distortion. I went back to the previous version (4.38) and my UMC202HD has been rock solid with no discernable latency for my keyboard setup or drum setup. The one in my drum setup is 64 buffers at 48Khz. I'm using just my ears listening to the tap of the plastic tip on the bow of the Yamaha ride against the sample in Superior Drummer as my test. The keyboard setup is 256 buffers at 48k. I don't discern any latency there either.

Leave a comment:

• GreasyBumpkin
    replied
    Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
    You've got a 14 inch Jobeky snare so it's likely that velocity is going to trail off more than it does on my 12 inch Diamond snare near the edge. I would really tighten the mesh head as it could be a hot spot problem.
    The skin is definitely tight, I'll try lowering gain. Maybe not using a cone might be better?

Leave a comment:

• Kabonfaiba
    replied
    You've got a 14 inch Jobeky snare so it's likely that velocity is going to trail off more than it does on my 12 inch Diamond snare near the edge. I would really tighten the mesh head as it could be a hot spot problem. But gain and sensitivity go hand in hand. There's nothing wrong with having low high level. My Diamond also performs better at gain 0 (554) than gain 4. Even though there is technically larger dynamics available at gain 4 with a high level near 1000 - the margin of error also increases drastically and is the equivalent of increasing the contrast on a picture. Where as, if you lower the gain, the middle range becomes more linear, it lessens the hot spot and you have more velocity control back.

Leave a comment:

• GreasyBumpkin
    replied
    Hey everyone.

So on interfaces, I bought a Zoom U-24 on Amazon as it was going for a bargain, downloaded it's ASIO driver, set it to 90k 24 bit, 64 buffer and it seems to work a treat! As of yet no crackling issues, there was a bit of latency when set to different sampling rates.

Zoom also has a MIDI interface that unlike the UMC actually shows up on Bome and other software so now I can port MIDI over to my DAW laptop for editing drums in post.

Now that's one hurdle over and I feel that I can more accurately dial in megadrum now, I did actually discover something today:

​​​​​​My snare wasn't doing too well, dynamics were all over the place and cross talk was causing a lot of dud hits (like hitting the centre and getting a rim note at a paltry velocity of 10 or less).

The reason this was happening was because when using auto-high on the rim peizo I was getting 250 at a gain level of 4 and this is below recommended. I had to max the gain to get the 500-900 range, so I've lowered the gain and just let the high sit at 250, which has helped a lot. Are there any potential consequences of this?

Also, does anyone find positional sensing a bit off? It feels accurate after some dialing but it's how velocity just trails off the further from the centre you move.

Leave a comment:

• jackodrum
    replied
    With all interfaces everyone is championing here, are you all playing edrums comfortably in time while using your interface? You're not mentally/consciously adjusting to the latency at all?
    i can’t tell you anything about the latency numbers. i’ve been playing a-drums for decades, e-drums for over a decade, vst for a few years. i’ve experienced latency and don’t like it. with my set up, i plug it all in and switch it on. i hit the drums. i hear them. i like it.

i’m sure i could get as good / better results with other interfaces but i don’t need anything better. i use / have used my set ups for personal practice, band rehearsal, playing along to recorded music, recording midi, recording analogue
    Last edited by jackodrum; 12-07-19, 11:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jackodrum
    replied
    Didnt mean to offend.
    And I'm glad you have good Focusrite units to play with.
    all good

Leave a comment:

• mkok
    replied
    Originally posted by GreasyBumpkin View Post

Thanks for clarifying. I looked up the zoom and it looks like a fully fledged mixer which would be overkill for me (already have a mixer for a different purpose), is there a smaller version of this interface?
    Yes I wasn’t suggesting you get what I have. I was just explaining that I definitely could get low latency with what I use. Saying that do some searches on zoom and low latency as I think the simple U-24 is supposed to be good. I haven’t used it though.

Leave a comment:

• GreasyBumpkin
    replied
    Originally posted by mkok View Post
    I’m using 64 buffers with the zoom and I’m not kidding myself that it is fine. If I put buffers up to 96 I can tell the difference. I would have to go a lot higher to make me play out of time. With the 64k buffers it feels really snappy. My brain is not compensating.
    Thanks for clarifying. I looked up the zoom and it looks like a fully fledged mixer which would be overkill for me (already have a mixer for a different purpose), is there a smaller version of this interface?

Leave a comment:

• mkok
    replied
    I’m using 64 buffers with the zoom and I’m not kidding myself that it is fine. If I put buffers up to 96 I can tell the difference. I would have to go a lot higher to make me play out of time. With the 64k buffers it feels really snappy. My brain is not compensating.

Leave a comment:

• Kabonfaiba
    replied
    Roland Octa-Capture. Choice between it or the RME Babyface but I got 25% off the UA-1010 so it was a decision made easier. I actually needed more outputs than the Babyface offered in the end. SD3 indicated Output latency: 1.3 ms Buffer latency: 1.1 ms at 32 samples or about 4 ms tested RTL. The distance I am from my speakers is a larger latency problem than my interface.

Leave a comment:

• GreasyBumpkin
    replied
    With all interfaces everyone is championing here, are you all playing edrums comfortably in time while using your interface? You're not mentally/consciously adjusting to the latency at all?

Leave a comment:

• rdubu
    replied
    For what it’s worth, I ran a Focusrite Clarett 4pre over USB-C until just recently and had no issues. Ended up putting an RME HDSPe AIO in my SD3 box and moved my Clarett over to another studio rig. My personal experience has been great with both, but will admit that the RME does outperform the Focusrite due to a couple of points - 1 being that it’s an onboard interface vs USB, and 2 being that the drivers do seem to be more stable at lower sample buffers and higher rates.

Anyway, main takeaway is that both companies are solid options - at least from my experience.

Leave a comment:

• mkok
    replied
    Zoom are known for decent low latency drivers on budget equipment as well. I have a zoom live track l-20 and latency is really good. I bought it for live but sold my old Yamaha FireWire n12 when I realised how good the zoom was.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X