X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreasyBumpkin View Post
    Hi guys,

on the latency note, here's what I've gotten configured on my UMC202:

had to set to 44k to get any audio at all and throwing the buffer to minimum gets me this latency.

5.8ms might explain why they feel so rough to play??? How do I address this?

Are the Behringer drivers so bad that you have to use ASIO4ALL?

That latency is only in theory.

To find the real latency you need a mic to record your hit, then the VST sound from the speaker.
    Import that into a DAW and zoom in until you see the time difference between the physical hit and the generated sound. That's your real-world latency.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Halen View Post
      I just pulled the trigger on an eDrumin unit. Interested to see how it fares with my megadrum. Will use it for two snares and my hi hat. Theyre the only triggers that arent running 110% as Id like.
      The snares trigger amazingly well but the hot spot is still there......if this works like Im hoping Ill be very happy.
      Nice!

could be the nest of both worlds.
      the amazing triggering and ease of setup from eDRUMin, and the number of inputs from the MegaDrum.

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

Are the Behringer drivers so bad that you have to use ASIO4ALL?
        There is a behringer ASIO driver but it causes me problems and for reasons unknown interferes with other USB devices.

Is there another interface out there with really low latency that you know of? It's black friday so if I have to upgrade then I should look for something today

Comment

There is a behringer ASIO driver but it causes me problems and for reasons unknown interferes with other USB devices.

Is there another interface out there with really low latency that you know of? It's black friday so if I have to upgrade then I should look for something today
          RME is usually on top when it comes to drivers and low latency.

That's the usual I/O audio interface.

If you only need an audio output, I have found that the NuPrime uDSD is really low latency, good drivers, and sounds really good.
          It's a HiFi unit, so, only stereo outputs, no inputs. It also has a headphone output.

I can get down to 32 samples, with no pops or clicks. Very nice.

Comment

I had an issue with the latest behringer driver on win10 64bit. Went back one reveision and its ROCK steady.

Comment

Hi! Just as perceval indicates...the ASIO4ALL is a compromised solution when a sound card does not have native ASIO drivers. (ASIO4ALL could work ok if having a good PC with i7 CPU)

However, a Native ASIO is always the first choice.

From my old tests using W10, MegaDrum, m-audio fasttrack ultra 8R at 96khz with AD2 on a i7 based system my measured latency was at 3-4ms for the whole chain.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
              Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.11. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Halen View Post
                I had an issue with the latest behringer driver on win10 64bit. Went back one reveision and its ROCK steady.
                is that version 4.38?

Angr77 - my PC has 16GB RAM and a 250GB SSD, and according to the label on the keyboard a CORE i3, so I assume that is bad?

Comment

i think the recommendation for a DAW or vst for real-time playing is i5 or above. Doesn’t mean it can’t work though with an interface with a well written driver.
                  Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I think so too...i3 could work, (there are even 4 core i3s on the market - which for an example is used by Apple in the Mac Mini) but a native ASIO driver is a must if you want to use it with VSTs and DAWs - otherwise a fat latency will occur.

I recently tested Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 with the 10th gen of I5...which is 4 cores...talk about performance! :-)

I really hope that nobody is still using Windows 7 and try to chase lower latency...reason is that Microsoft changed the audio structure in Win 8.1 and above which makes DAW apps etc to run much more smooth.

And go for W10!!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
                    Last edited by angr77; 12-01-19, 06:09 AM.
                    Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.11. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

How do I go about upgrading the core/processer/whatever denotes "i7"?

Also does "Native ASIO" mean the driver that you download for your specific interface?

EDIT: processor info attached, what's the verdict?
                      Processor.PNG
                      Last edited by GreasyBumpkin; 12-01-19, 08:08 AM.

Comment

The i3-4005U is a 2 core low power CPU about 5 years old, you typically won't be able to upgrade the CPU in a laptop. It's not quick and I would recommend a new laptop, but it shouldn't pose any issues for VST triggering unless you are experiencing issues with audio drop outs; a lockup that resumes a few seconds later is a typical symptom I would expect to see from a CPU strained at 100%.

Did you increase the RAM yourself per chance?
                        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                          The i3-4005U is a 2 core low power CPU about 5 years old, you typically won't be able to upgrade the CPU in a laptop. It's not quick and I would recommend a new laptop, but it shouldn't pose any issues for VST triggering unless you are experiencing issues with audio drop outs; a lockup that resumes a few seconds later is a typical symptom I would expect to see from a CPU strained at 100%.

Did you increase the RAM yourself per chance?
                          RAM was my own doing it was originally 4GB.

OK well the laptop is getting old but a new one can wait a few months.

But using a dedicated ASIO driver for an interface will bypass the need for a juiced up PC?

Comment

But using a dedicated ASIO driver for an interface will bypass the need for a juiced up PC?
                            Yes and no...

The audio part being taken over by a dedicated audio card will improve a lot from onboard audio.

But... a better CPU will also make sure you will have more processing power to the VST, and they do ask a lot from the CPU... especially if you add in EQ, routing, etc... within a DAW or VST host.

The SSD only helps for loading a VST.
                            The RAM helps for storing sounds instead of reading from a drive.

The CPU is responsible for everything else.... fx, added room mics, ...

Comment

Yeah, any setup is only as good as its weakest link... CPU recommendations from vendors are generally the lowest supported config and if running a VST, I personally wouldn’t use anything less than a 4-core proc.

You look good on RAM and as stated the interface should be running native drivers for best performance.

If you’re looking to upgrade the interface, check out RME, Focusrite, and m-audio as they all write their own drivers - which in theory should help. There’s other solid brands out there as well, but budget certainly drives some of the decision making process so try to figure out what you’re aiming for and what you’re willing to spend before you dig too far into every possibility.
                              Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

RME is usually the golden ticket.
                                They write good drivers and they support their products.

There are other companies, like Apollo, Lynx, ... but that's way above regular budget units.

Focusrite, M-Audio, Presonus, Beringher and the likes are looking at mass-producing their products... if there's a flaw, they'll just discontinue the product and move on.
                                So, it's a bit of hit-and-miss... You might get lucky with a unit, or get stranded with a door-stopper.

I'd put Steinberg in the middle of those.

If you don't need inputs for other instruments, then we are looking at a DAC only.

I found a little unit called the uDSD from NuPrime, and their drivers are top notch.
                                It's $200, with no inputs. Only stereo RCA and headphones out.

But, in latency, it beats any other $200 to $500 sound card I've ever had.
                                I can go down to 32 samples, with no clicks nor pops, with an 6-year-old i5 CPU.
                                Last edited by perceval; 12-02-19, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X