Hi-hat controller for Megadrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-hat controller for Megadrum

This is still in project form (bottom plate is from Ultimate Stand packaging) and magnets scavenged from hard drive are affixed to chain by magnetic force. The cable is attached with Baomain #6 fork terminals (left over from car audio project). It's working great plugged into the Megadrum hi-hat controller input. The A1302 sensor was purchased on Amazon in a 10 pack for just a few dollars. A drummer came over for a session and played it for a few hours without problems. It's a low end Ludwig stand.

IMG_20190912_162422.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dsteinschneider; 09-12-19, 04:51 PM.
    Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| MegaDrum 32 input | eDrumin | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Looks good. Im in the process of designing my hh controller now, pretty much using the same parts as you. Just bench testing at the moment but im excited how sensitive the control feels with the magnet.....cant wait to get it rigged up to my stand. Should be a great improvement to the go edrum controller ive been using.

Comment

Please let me know how you make out. I've been having some fun sorting out the other relevant parameters on the Megadrum for cc04 hi-hat control and the corresponding settings in Superior Drummer 2. I'm using a PCY135 as hi-hat cymbal.
      Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| MegaDrum 32 input | eDrumin | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Comment

Brilliant project. Do you happen to know if the A1302 be used as a joystick Pot?

Comment

20190928_160752_resized.jpg Got my hh pedal done. What a simple but effective controller. So few parts. I just need to replace the two cable ties with a bracket to hold the jack.
          I went for a female 1/4" jack so i didnt have to use a teminal strip. With the sensor covered in heatshrink the whole setup is really compact. Ill replace the magnet with a shorter one when i get the chance.
          Last edited by Eddie Halen; 10-07-19, 05:04 PM.

Comment

That is simple and brilliant! I'm going to to convert over to your design. I've been worried that the terminal strip and bottom plate is just looking for stumbling participant to knockout. With your design everything is secure and up out of the way. Probably would be a good idea to use perhaps small adjustable hose clamps to fasten the female TRS jack in place.

Comment

Can anybody tell me how exactly this concept works?
              i see a magnet on the chain and i think a trs wiring. where´s a sensor or how does this technology work?
              will this also work on other modules?

thanks for clearing things up for me

Comment

Hi mowdrums,

If you look at the photo in the first post you see a black rectangle with two rows of 4 screws. On the row closer to the pedal on the third screw from the left you see a little black thing. That's the A1302 Hall Effect sensor that you buy for about $1. It's a transistor that senses magnet field strength. On the chain you see a curved metal object attached. That's a neodymium magnet I pulled out of a hard drive.

When I press the pedal down the magnet travels down to about 1mm away from the transistor.

The A1302 has three "legs", the center one is ground, the one on the left is 5 volt power (red wire which goes to the ring on my TRS cable), the one on the right is signal from the transistor (white wire to tip on the TRS cable)

So this solution is actually very simple, easy to build (no soldering for my project above) and costs just a few dollars. Works great with my MegaDrum. What kind of module do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by dsteinschneider View Post
                  Hi mowdrums,

If you look at the photo in the first post you see a black rectangle with two rows of 4 screws. On the row closer to the pedal on the third screw from the left you see a little black thing. That's the A1302 Hall Effect sensor that you buy for about $1. It's a transistor that senses magnet field strength. On the chain you see a curved metal object attached. That's a neodymium magnet I pulled out of a hard drive.

When I press the pedal down the magnet travels down to about 1mm away from the transistor.

The A1302 has three "legs", the center one is ground, the one on the left is 5 volt power (red wire which goes to the ring on my TRS cable), the one on the right is signal from the transistor (white wire to tip on the TRS cable)

So this solution is actually very simple, easy to build (no soldering for my project above) and costs just a few dollars. Works great with my MegaDrum. What kind of module do you have?
                  thanks for this very good explanation!
                  i use a roland td6 at the moment, but i really think to buy a edrumin in the near future...

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Halen View Post
                    I went for a female 1/4" jack so i didnt have to use a teminal strip. .
                    I'm going to copy your design, where did you source the female jack from?

Thanks,

Doug

Comment

Im in Australia.
                      https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0081...l-jack-socket/

Im sure you could find one where ever you live.

Comment

Im in Australia - I'm sure you could find one where ever you live.
                        I probably can but it won't be as nice as that one from down under

EDIT: I ordered some on ebay that are coming from just as far away
                        Last edited by dsteinschneider; 11-04-19, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Since I had sourced a bunch of project boxes I decided to use a pair of them for my final Hall Effect DIY design.

hall_effect_sensor_fully_assembled.jpg
                          Here it is fully assembled. I used InstaMorph around the magnet to hold it in place against the threaded metal piece at end of the pull rod. To keep the top box's flanges from bending when I tightened down the screws I cut up a Bic pen into 25mm pieces and used them as standoffs. Click on the photo for a closer look.

hall_effect_sensor_assembly.jpg
                          I made the bottom mounting plate from a paper tray I kept when I trashed an old inkjet printer. It's screwed in with a flat head M6 25mm fine thread screw that goes in a threaded hole that's usually where the rug spike goes. I glued the bottom plate of the upper project box onto the top of the lower one as a way to keep it aligned. That way I could attach the magnet to the threaded metal piece the chain attaches to which is higher up.

hall_effect_sensor_in_project_box.jpg
                          The A1302 sensor is hot glued in place
                          Last edited by dsteinschneider; 01-19-20, 11:56 AM.

Comment

20190928_160752_resized.jpg Got my hh pedal done. What a simple but effective controller. So few parts. I just need to replace the two cable ties with a bracket to hold the jack.
                            I went for a female 1/4" jack so i didnt have to use a teminal strip. With the sensor covered in heatshrink the whole setup is really compact. Ill replace the magnet with a shorter one when i get the chance.
                            I like this design a lot. But I don’t understand how it works. In all other designs as the magnet gets closer the hi hat closes. This works opposite. Is it wired differently or are the settings different to reverse the effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Aka Wayne View Post

I like this design a lot. But I don’t understand how it works. In all other designs as the magnet gets closer the hi hat closes. This works opposite. Is it wired differently or are the settings different to reverse the effect?
                              Hi Wayne,

All you have to do is reverse the hi-hat cc controller. All the drum VST's have a check box for that. Then when the magnet is close to the sensor it's open and when farther away closed.
                              Last edited by dsteinschneider; 01-23-20, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X