Snare and cymbal conversion pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare and cymbal conversion pics

I know i love looking at pics of peoples handy work so I figured these may be a inspiration to others working on their a2e kits.
    I just finished what I think is the final version of my main snare. It started life as a 14x5.5 Ludwig Superlite and turned into what you see here. The spokes were cut from 10mmx10mm stock on my dewalt drop saw. Drilled and tapped with m4 threads.
    the middle two plates were hand fabbed and powdercoated to give them a more pro look.
    the decoupling foam was cut from 30% density EVA foam sheet​​​​​​. Its the perfect density for this task. I found this was hands down a better method of isolating the central piezo over just using runber grommets on the adjustment screws. I made a cutting tool for the foam with a ground down hole saw. Cuts like a super sharp rotary razorbade.
    Its the best playing e drum ive ever used. Sensitivity is amazing all the way to the very edge of the 2 ply Drumtec head.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by Eddie Halen; 09-10-19, 09:08 AM.

This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

That's great!
      One question : which trigger did you use ?

Regards

Comment

Its an R drums cone and a 27mm piezo. Same 27mm piezo mounted dead centre under the plate for the rim trigger.

Comment

Cymbals are dampened wirh 3mm pvc plastic. Trigger boxes are home made with Myrk choke strips.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice work!
            Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Halen View Post
              Cymbals are dampened wirh 3mm pvc plastic. Trigger boxes are home made with Myrk choke strips.
              Looks awesome man, great job!

Why did you not cover the whole base of the cymbal with the PVC? Because of the choke strip?
              No double-triggering because of this?

I covered the whole cymbal-bottom on my cymbals, but stil got some double-triggering unfortunately.
              Messed a lot with the settings on my TD9, but the best solution was exra dampening with Cymbomutes.

Maybe the difference is, that I used a piezo instead of a membrane, wich means, more sensitivity....?
              Last edited by Dreamdrummer; 09-11-19, 08:52 AM.
              Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

I bought the pvc from Smarttrigger. Thats the company who made the cymbals for Alesis and Pearl. Biggest they do is 16". Comes with the clear 3M adhesive already attached, die cut in a circle with the bell cutout. That cymbal is 18".
                No double triggering but its really only single zone as there isnt enough flex to register an edge hit.
                How is yours set up????? Edge piezo and bow?

Comment

No, just a single piezo like 50mm away from the edge.
                  The PVC is also 3mm thick and the sizes are:

2x crash 18"
                  1x crash 16"
                  1x splash 10"
                  1x Hihat 14" (with VH11 controller)
                  1x Ride 20" (bow/edge triggering with KRC)

I messed a lot with the settings.
                  Mask time, sensitivity, threshold, curve etc.
                  The vibration was just too much and caused double and multiple triggering with one strike.
                  Cutting down the total vibration with the settings was no option, because light hits and fast hits would not be registered.
                  So I cut down as much as I could, without the loss of light and fast hits, and the Cymbomute did the rest.

Not ideal, but it kinda works...

What module do you have?

Comment

Alesis Strike and a Megadrum. Even the Strike has no issues with double triggering. The cymbal just doesnt resonate with the pvc. Its completely dead.

Comment

That's weird. Maybe it's the piezo, or just the module..

Anyway, your cymbals look awesome!

Comment

The closer to the bell the piezo is, the less its effected by the ongoing resonance of an edge hit​.
                        maybe 5cm is too close to the edge on your bigger cymbals?

Comment

Could be!
                          I should try that...

However, the further the piezo is away from the edge, the higher te sensitivity should be?
                          And higher sensivity, means more detecting vibrations..?

Anyway, it's worth the try.

Comment

Im about to add the Keith Raper circuit to my Sabians and noticed something interesting. If you hold the edge of the cymbal at the very rear point away from the choke strip really lightly between your finger and thumb, you get virtually zero vibration hitting the bow no matter how hard you hit it.But an edge hit over the choke strip vibrates the rear alot. Perfect place to put a piezo to trigger the Keith Raper circuit in parallel with the choke strip.
                            That should keep it out of the line of fire when hitting the edge hard and make for a really sensitive edge circuit. Cant wait to try it.
                            Last edited by Eddie Halen; 09-13-19, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Trying to find a state side source for EVA30 foam that isn't significantly more foam than I need. Is EVA30 roughly the same density as the foam interlocking square matts you can get like everywhere? If that is the case then I have that on hand already. example - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everyday-...lors/336366651 ?

thanks
                              TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

Working...
                              X