Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another A2E conversion

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share this project with anyone who could be interested.
    I bought my edrum kit bit bit, and today that's how it looks like.

If I was satisfied once, I am now tired of these rubber pads (Yamaha's are okay, but the Milleniums...).

So, after watching countless videos, Topic on forums (here and there), I figured it was time for me to man up and do the job. So I bought this Mapex Q series and started to convert the hell out of it.

- Step one : disassemble, and clean. That was okay, nothing complicated, no rust issue.

- Step two : choose a trigger design, and get the parts accordingly Step two... I first thought I could 3D print a basket, or similar thing such as the Cake Pan Method... but that would have required a big 3D printer, a multi-parts model... and that was too expensive. So I went to the "Torque Trigger" system.

- Step three : design the the trigger plates. Nothing complicated, I just took a bit of planning. One of my friend will cut them... wait and see

- Step four : prepare the assembly. Here are the spacers used in place of the initial lug screws.

- Step five : solder and wire the heck out of it. Jack connectors are now in place...

- Step six : finalize the assembly Once I'll have every element required, hopefully, it will look like this.

- Step seven : lose your mind fine tuning everything and fixing mistakes.

I did get my triggers, heads and rim protectors, the only thing missing beeing the trigger plates.
    If that sparks some interest, I can go one and update the thread.

Feel free to comment ! As it is my first DIY project, I will gladly take every advice available !

Cheers !
    Last edited by Clem3000; 08-16-19, 11:55 AM.
    Yamaha DTX900 - XP120S Snare - PCY135-155 / RHH135
    Currently transitionning to DIY pads...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rntZ4AHfvJE

Great project. Love to see more.
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Looking great so far. Definitely update as you get everything put together. Congrats!
      Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Nice professional job so far. Kits going to look great.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback guys !
          Looking good is one thing, good triggering is an other...

I'm just getting started. I'll keep you posted !

Comment

The thing is you can mess around with the triggers if you are doing them yourself and from what you have done so far I should imagine you will be just fine doing that.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Why go for something as complex as the "torque" trigger. I think many DIY-ers will agree that a center mounted trigger is likely to give you issues with hotspots. Furthermore I tink your method of implementing the torque trigger is not sturdy enough. It looks to "springy". The vibrations it will give are likely to cause double trigger issues.

Nevertheless. Have fun on the built. If you can prove me wrong (especially on the hotspot) I'd like to know exactly how you did it.
              Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

That's a point worth reading, and I do share these concerns.

I did have second thoughts on the centered mounted approach, but wanted something that could be future-proofed (and able to perform positionnal sensing if I have the hardware to handle it one day). It looks springy, but feels really stable (if you grab your shell by the inside rods). I'll keep you updated on mine once I'll get my center plates.

In the end, I tried to "copy" Drum-Tec's take on this, even if I still am a bit afraid of the hot-spotting issues.

Drum-Tec-Trigger.jpg The center won't obviously be the same, and I will be using some R-Drums decouplers under the cone piezo.

I am however concerned about the choice I made for the bass drum, even if I didn't had many options, the lugs being only "one-point-screwed". I plan to use something to dampen the impact around the BD-trigger itself. The use of a 3-ply mesh head + dampening may (or may not) help...

Nothing beats experimenting.
                Attached Files

Comment

I would definitely go for centre trigger on a snare especially if 14”. Hot spotting is a lot less on large drums. I use one with my td30 and SD3 and wouldn’t be without ps. Maybe edge mount on the toms although I am ok with my centre triggers. Many are not though so worth thinking about.

Comment

where did you get the hex-spacer "screw" that attached to lugs? thanks.

Comment

FWIW - hot spots are not just a center mount issue.... If you smack the crap out of the exact spot where the piezo is, you’re going to get a “hot” signal. Simple as that.

But here’s the thing - if you tune your trigger correctly and play lightly in that spot, you’ll get a soft hit signal. It’s just physics. With a center mount trigger and a positional sensing module, you can also have the benefit of transitional sampling where you get subtle mixes of the shell, head, and strainer. This makes for a VERY lifelike and natural sounding snare. With the toms, I agree that it’s less of a benefit and can be ditched for side mounted triggers. But for a snare I wouldn’t recommend anything else.

As always, this is just my worthless $.02 on the subject and it’s not meant to wrinkle any feathers... Especially none of those belonging to the Mimic and ATV guys out there
                      Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

i have a side mounted trigger on my 5x14 snare as i have a habit of striking dead center creating hot spot the first trigger was a UFO E-bridge with the trigger to the side and a few months ago i bought a padtech trigger system. they both trigger really well
                        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                          where did you get the hex-spacer "screw" that attached to lugs? thanks.
                          I found a shop call "RS components" where you can find a lot of stuff regarding electromechanic assemblies and such.
                          Last edited by Clem3000; 08-20-19, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clem3000 View Post

I found a shop call "RS components" where you can find a lot of stuff regarding electromechanic assemblies and such.
                            what they call that hex-spacer 'screw'? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Clem3000 View Post

i found this https://americas.rsdelivers.com/prod...=&family=12222

but don't know what dimension fit the lug screw thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X