Myrk choke strip question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrk choke strip question...

Hey guys. Just ordered some Myrk choke strips. Wondering if anyone else has them installed under dampened metal cymbals and if its possible to get an edge zone sound out of them easily?
    Ive got Pearl e classics here and they need a really good edge hit to trigger. Just wondering if the Myrks are more sensitive.

I just received a pair I'm going to add to my Pintech XT16 DIYcrashes. I'm scavenging some thinner wire right now out of a Canon printer. Does it matter which pin out on the choke goes to ring?
    Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDrumin(s) | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Comment

I bought one a few months ago for a single zone DIY cymbal, so I was only using it as a choke. It worked great for about 20 min, then started losing it's ability to switch on one half of it. Then a day later it would only switch if I grabbed it about an inch in the center. I just gave up, trashed it, and made my own.

Comment

Mine works great under a rubber profile with a piece of foam tape on the top. It’s for my edge zone on hi hat so gets plenty of abuse. I haven’t heard of these failing early. Only positive reviews in fact. I’d email myrk. He’ll probably send you a new one.

Comment

I installed the membrane - I connected the leads to ring and sleeve. I have no idea how to make it work as a choke when connected to the crash input on the MegaDrum. I posted the question over on the MegaDrum forum, if anyone here knows I would much appreciate the advice.
          Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDrumin(s) | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Comment

Curious why people don't just message me or the ebay page or the facebook link for a direct query! :P

So people are aware, the spec and construction of these membranes is EXACTLY the same as Roland - manufactered in a factory (not in a house or back alley, very high quality) to my design that was taken directly from the CY-15R cymbal. Talking from experience of responding to hundreds and hundreds of users, it is always a user implementation error that causes the membranes to not work correctly. They are only the switch in the choke/edge trigger, and as per our installation diagrams (PDF available on request to buyers) you need a cover over the membrane (continual abuse of a nake electrical component will destroy it), and you need eva foam tape to rise up the triggerable part of the membrane if using as an edge switch - the EVA foam is the sensitivity control - it's phsyical (as per Roland, Yamaha, etc). This is a DIY product, and you need to understand how cymbals work to be able to make a functional cymbal.

The query on underside placement comes up a lot, somewhat fueled by posts in this forum being found on the net. Our recommendation is not to place the membrane on the underside of the cymbal. The reason it "works" is due to cymbal warpage - a brass cymbal bends an incredible amount when hit, and this bends the membrane enough to cause it to make contact, resulting in an edge sound. However in doing this you are unable to trigger an edge sound unless you warp the cymbal enough, so you will lose any nuance playing by doing this method. If you tried putting a membrane on the underside of a plastic or acrylic cymbal it will only act as a choke as those materials do not warp enough to trigger the membrane switch.

joeymass - you should have contacted me asap - out of over a thousand customers and several thousand units sold you are the 2nd person who has ever reported a failing membrane switch! (1st was from a user who found 1 membrane that had a layer of paper inside it preventing contact, was very strange, and we sent out a replacement straight away)! As Aka Wayne above said I can send you a free replacement as this is highly unusual, but please let us know if you have an issue, we are here to help!! Without this feedback we are unable to pass it to our factory to prevent any future repeats!

I am working on a small e-book I hope to release soon that should remove all the guess work in making cymbals, and explaining the core aspects in design. I'll post on the forum when it's done!
            Last edited by Myrk-; 01-20-20, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X